Forums Latest Members
  1. Bonanos Jun 24, 2015

Hi there--new to watch collecting, very impressed with this forum, and seeking advice. Please be kind to the noob.

I am considering a purchase of a World War I trench watch. Porcelain dial reads OMEGA but, surprisingly, does not have the Greek-letter symbol above the name. Photos below.

In the opinion of the collectors here, is this a re-cased pocket watch, or an original wristwatch? Or some other put-together thing? Opinions gratefully accepted. Thanks.

Screen Shot 2015-06-24 at 3.34.13 PM.png

Screen Shot 2015-06-24 at 3.29.09 PM.png Screen Shot 2015-06-24 at 3.29.17 PM.png

2. Geordie Jun 24, 2015

The lugs are soldered on later. Typical of the time.

Bonanos likes this.
  3. Bonanos Jun 24, 2015

Was it a pocket watch to begin with? It seems small for that, and the stem is at 3 o'clock rather than 12.

4. Geordie Jun 24, 2015

I'll leave it to the pros to answer.

Bonanos likes this.
  5. Pvt-Public Jun 24, 2015

I am going with re-cased pocket watch for several reasons:
    1. I don't recall the American Watch Case Co. making hinged back wrist watch cases.
    2. Flat areas on the the pillar plate at 3 and 9 o'clock to allow room for the hinge and cover lock of a hunter style case.
    3. Obviously soldered on lugs.
    4. the last 4 digits of the case number are also on the case ring (see photo) this was done on PW cases during production so the case parts stayed together during assembly. I don't recall haveing seen this on wrist watch cases.
    I believe that this movement was originally in a hunter style case, which would have the stem at 3, and I am not sure about the missing Omega logo.
    That's my 2 cents worth, and I know that's about all it's worth.
    AWC2.png

Edited Jun 24, 2015
    Bonanos likes this.
  6. Bonanos Jun 24, 2015

Thanks. Worth a lot more than two cents, if you ask me.

Anyone troubled by the lack of an Omega symbol above the name?