Forums Latest Members

A pretty face or the full package?

1. Togri v. 2.0 Wow! Custom title... cool Sep 3, 2016

I would like to hear your opinions on what would usually command the higher price (or what you would value the most). Let us assume, just as an example, that the watch is a Speedy 145.012

1) Very good condition with a perfectly aged dial with no flaws but watch only or

2) Good condition watch but mediocre dial, ex lume missing from the lume plots, but with original box and all papers matching serial on watch.

I am not sure myself but would probably pay more for condition.

Mothra likes this.
  2. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Sep 3, 2016

Door #1 every single time without question. :thumbsup:

I do have a few watches of various brands with box & papers, but at purchase, it was all about the watch. I would in fact prefer a watch without box and papers, all other things being equal, as it will generally cost me less to strap on my wrist.

tapaptpat, Davidt, micampe and 3 others like this.
  3. blubarb Sep 3, 2016

+1

tapaptpat and Togri v. 2.0 like this.
  4. meganfox17 Sep 3, 2016

Hi @Togri v.2.0

OMG[emoji15]A Speedy 145.012 ???
    Isnt that like...the Holy Grail of Speedies ??? R-JB has one of those !

Sir , As far as i know all you need is the Pretty Girl [emoji136] You wont need her identity card or the stuff she carries with her !

All that matters is the Reference number, movement calibre 321 & the serial number found inside the back casing. Here. Check this Out[emoji14]

http://www.fratellowatches.com/omegas-extract-of-the-archives-how-it-works/

tapaptpat, Jwit and Togri v. 2.0 like this.
  5. Togri v. 2.0 Wow! Custom title... cool Sep 3, 2016

I wouldn't call the 145.012 the holy grail. I think you need to go four digits there. And some might dispute that there is such a thing as a grail Speedy :D Anyway it was just an example.

Yes, I am well aware of the extracts and have a couple myself, but extracts aren't original box and papers. However the premium paid for full sets can be huge and it is after all the watch you wear. :)

6. lillatroll Sep 3, 2016

watch all day long, the other stuff is a nice extra but not worth a significant premium imo

7. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Sep 3, 2016

Perfectly aged dial.... Mmmmm...

I'm in the watch only camp. Box and papers look nice on a shelf in the basement, but a nice dial looks good on the wrist.

tapaptpat, noelekal and blubarb like this.
  8. GregH Sep 3, 2016

+2

tapaptpat likes this.
  9. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Sep 3, 2016

Dial hands down.

Well at least for speedies. I would wager that in the upper end when restoration is accepted and can increase the value over the cost of restoration, there might be some examples where the box and papers are worth more. A certain gold exotic dialed Daytona comes to mind that had all box and papers including the original receipt and still owned by the original owner. It auctioned at a nice premium over perfect watch. That being said the Patina was still decent.

10. micampe Sep 3, 2016

I can’t wear the box.

Jwit likes this.
  11. Davidt Sep 3, 2016

Without a doubt condition is paramount.

If the papers and box are present then great, but they mean little to me really. I'm a watch wearer rather than a collector.

12. WatchVaultNYC Sep 3, 2016

sometimes if the package is good enough, you wont even ask for her papers

Jwit likes this.
  13. soybeanwatch Sep 4, 2016

Toughie as if I was purchasing from an unknown source or person box and papers used to give me peace of mind. Now it really is all about condition, but then again after a couple of wears they're going to get hairlines and scratches anyways. I know this doesn't help but neither does my addiction to keep reading about different watches on this lovely forum... so that I contemplate these decisions over and over again lol.