Forums Latest Members
  1. steven Apr 15, 2014

It's been a long while since company firewall allowed my access to this site, but it's great to be back and see the great developments to the site etc.

I've a watch-based conundrum that's really annoying me at the moment and it goes like this.

My debut in to this addictive world was with my Omega (below) which was a 30th Birthday gift I'll treasure forever. My "wife to be" also bought me the Hamilton (also below) as a wedding gift to wear on the big day, which i've now enjoyed wearing for close to a year.

So, it's seems my fledgling collection is solely based around fairly significant life events...and with the birth of our first child a little under 3 months away...i'm already thinking...what should I get to signify such a huge occasion?!

That in itself is a big question (as hopefully in 50/60yrs i'll get to leave it to said child) but i'm also thinking...perhaps I also need a watch for the year of my birth too (1982)...and i'd literally have no idea where to start on the front!

I really want a Man On The Moon Speedmaster...and can't decide on whether i'd be best with a new, or 31yr old model. But then where would I go from there? Thoughts?

I'd be interested to hear if any of you have any "life-event" type purchases that you'd never want to get rid of...or looking to buy something from a bygone era for a specific reason?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Fritz and Jimmy Jim like this.
  2. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Apr 15, 2014

Birth year watch is certainly a good choice. I bet many collectors here at least has one or even a few of birth year watch(es).
    Try to find something special (say a Limited Edition) for that year. Since Speedy Pro extensively producing LE in their lifetime it would be interested to see whether they have something for your birth year.
    I feel lucky because in 1970 Omega produced Speedy Pro with first gen case back, which only produced from mid 1969 to mid 1971 IIRC.
    The grail of course would be the Gold BA 145.022

3. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Apr 15, 2014

Welcome back! By the way, this wonderful site is available after working hours, so don't let the company firewall hinder your participation.

Birth year model, Speedy or otherwise, would be a great place to start - you're young enough that you can easily find something that won't be crazy money. Vintage is an acquired taste though, and not for everyone, so do your homework before deciding.

4. Fritz genuflects before the mighty quartzophobe Apr 15, 2014

While I wouldn't mind a "birth year" piece, I find hunting for a specific model, type or year tends to lead to compromises. Its not quite the watch you want but its the correct year or colour or whatever artificial goal we've set for ourselves, so you buy the watch even though its not quite right or cost a bit too much. I tend to let the watch "find me" as it were.... while I've bought pieces to celebrate new jobs, or escaping from a bad job (both ends of the same job! What can I say, the guy lied about the company!) I always just keep my eyes open for a nice piece.

This has led to some really nice pieces in my collection, bought not because its what I specifically wanted or because it was time for a new piece, but bought because it was a really or interesting watch and it spoke to me about needing to go home with me.

This has lead to owning a super rare WW2 US navy divers watch, some nice vintage Omegas and a couple of really nice old railway pocket watches. I've found in the vintage vehicle circles that people get tied into one make or model or type of machine, become too specialized and all else is suddenly crap to them. I've found if you don't go for specific things, just sort of go with the flow, you can enjoy so many nice items off the beaten track.....

besides...if you have a wife who is willing to contribute, maybe you just need to plant a hint at the right time......

I've found it doesn't hurt if you buy her some shiny toys as well.........

SpikiSpikester likes this.
  5. Fritz genuflects before the mighty quartzophobe Apr 17, 2014

6. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Apr 17, 2014

Call it you child's birth year watch and mind it until hes/shes older and that will sound better than buying one for yourself.

The watch is for your child so they don't have the same conundrum (one d) as you, and you get a new watch to look after for 21 years;)