Forums Latest Members

A Pictorial Comparison of Five Divers

1. jud Oct 2, 2018

It's not often that I have more than two watches out of the safe deposit box, let alone five divers. I thought I would post up some photos for comparison of sizes. As almost everyone has a Seiko SKX it was my comparison watch. I hope this helps someone trying to decide between different divers.

When I was contemplating adding the 300 60th, coupled with the fact that I already owned the 300MC I could not find comparison pictures of the two, so I added more of them. After purchasing the 60th I think there is room in a collection for both. I see the 60th as more of a dress up/down diver while the MC is more of a jeans and t-shirts or shorts and flip flops watch.

My thoughts on each watch:
    Rolex 16610 - Great size, the bezel is awesome. I prefer the lugs to the 116610, but I need a permanent link removed and my local CW21 will not do it and I haven't worked up the guts to do it myself. As a result all of the Omegas are more comfortable on my wrist.

Omega 300 60th - When you are used to a modern bezel, the first thing you notice is the size of the bezel. It is small. I prefer the brushed center links to the PCLs of the SM300 MC. The watch feels great on the wrist but does not have the wrist presence of the other watches. I could see this becoming my travel watch, I usually travel with a Rolex Explorer or my Seiko.

Omega 300MC - I love this watch. It is on the edge of size for me, however, it feels great on the wrist to me. I would give up the sapphire case back to remove a millimeter or two of depth, but it is fun to show others who are not familiar with automatic watches.

Seiko SKX 173 - There are times I wish that I had gotten the 007 or 009 because I pefer those lume plots, however, I have never seen another 173 in pictures or in the wild. This has been my daily for the last 6 weeks as my new job is jeans and t-shirt or polo. We are not allowed to wear shorts, but everything else is game.

Omega 300 Diver - The honey moon on this watch lasted for 18 months, beating out a number of much more expensive watches. This dial is my favorite of all of the watches in this lineup. I am happy I purchased this watch before it was changed, this watch will be passed down to one of my children. I also added the Planet Ocean adjustable clasp, which made a huge difference in comfort as I had trouble finding the sweet spot with the original clasp.

I apologize for the finger prints on some of the watches. After I set them, I should have wiped them down.

From left to right: Rolex 16610, SM300 60th, SM300 MC, Seiko SKX 173, Seamaster 300 Diver.
    [​IMG]

300Comparison3.jpeg 300Comparison.jpeg 300Comparison2.jpeg 300Comparison3.jpeg
    All300s.jpeg
    300ComparisonRolex.jpeg

RolexSeiko300M.jpeg

ALL4.jpeg 300-CompareSeiko.jpeg ALL4.jpeg
  2. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Oct 2, 2018

The 173 is US market only, hence a bit uncommon, but I’ve heard actually more desirable in some European circles.

Great write up!

3. llvhhui Oct 2, 2018

Nice comparison. MC 300 looks super thick in the picture.

jzzmusician likes this.
  4. sjg22 Oct 2, 2018

I fully planned on buying an MC 300, however I tried it on and the thickness was what stopped me from making the purchase - I ended up going with a 2254.50 Seamaster 300M instead on the basis of it being considerably thinner.

5. jzzmusician Oct 3, 2018

Yup. Idid the same as sjg22, bought the 300M instead.

6. sdre Oct 3, 2018

Have you tried the 60th SM300? I tried it at the airport on my way to Japan this year. I had my 165.024 with me, Damn I was so close to pulling the trigger.

I'm think i will consider very strongly getting one if a nice used one goes into the market.

7. khd Oct 12, 2018

Nice collection...especially love that 60th SM300 :thumbsup: