Forums Latest Members

A perennial question: servicing your watch — any NYC recommendations?

1. JH11932 Jul 27, 2016

Hello fellow maniacs. Can any New Yorkers advise a brother about where to get a watch serviced?

This week, the happy news that The One That Got Away has at long last joined my collection, a 2nd generation Breguet Type XX. The seller's advice "Overhaul recommended, at buyer's expense" is an understatement, as she stops every couple of hours.

For years I've been using Central Watch, with generally good results, though the inevitable four-month wait and the eye-watering bills can be hard to take. I wondered if anyone had personal experience with alternatives, even the Breguet boutique itself: it occurred to me that they could ship the thing home for service, but I don't have first hand experience with this, and have heard stories about watches returned with polished cases, and so on.

So I'd be very grateful for any pointers, and in any case will let you know how it goes.

Thanks,

JH

p.s.

T20.jpg
  2. ulackfocus Jul 27, 2016

That's a NFW.

Now stop toying with it unless you're trying to damage it. Winding an unserviced watch will f::censored:: it up.

ps - Looks like somebody forgot to cross their T's.

3. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Jul 27, 2016

Dude, c'mon, don't wind the guy up. It's his grail.

4. trama Jul 27, 2016

Eh, probably doesn't apply to this case or thread, but in general if you get the puppy in the window it comes with having to feed and clean it.
    Emoticons to soften tone::whistling::)

5. JH11932 Jul 27, 2016

Not grousing about the maintenance! Just asking you pros for opinions about local horologists. (But if anyone does know a self-walking, self-feeding puppy, DM me & I'll swap you for my dogs. ;))

As for the uncrossed T, opinion's divided. This documentation http://bit.ly/2a5J30y doesn't agree with the history here http://bit.ly/2avDb4y, nor the four other examples of this reference that I've seen...

trama likes this.
  6. bnabod Jul 27, 2016

No idea as to service location but it looks fantastic. Huge fan of the type XX
    CONGRATS

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk