Forums Latest Members

A nice early Seamaster, and a few thoughts on semantics...

1. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Nov 30, 2014

As a vintage watch collector, I was blessed with small wrists. Contemporary watches are, generally speaking, too big for me, but a large majority of vintage watches work well. To be more specific, I can comfortably wear anything from around 32mm on up, but my sweet spot is 35–37mm. What that means within the context of vintage Omega watches is that some of their very best and most important offerings fit me very well. That would include the likes of the 35.5mm 30T2Rg chronometres, the 36mm Geneves, and the 36mm bumper chronometres.

I have owned a Seamaster chronometre previously, but is was 34mm. And while that size works well enough on my wrist, I like the 36mm cases more, and I also like that they are much less common. So, when given an opportunity to snag a Seamaster chronometre in the latter category, and especially one in very nice condition with pink gold dial furniture, I didn't hesitate.

[​IMG]

As I am not at home, my photo taking abilities (especially macro) are limited, so you'll just have to take my word for it when I say that the case and movement are both in excellent condition. The dial is in very good condition, though a reasonable argument could be made that within the context of these type of textured dials, it has survived much better than most. It is a ref. 2657, and in this instance, is powered by a cal. 354 movement.

[​IMG]

Now, about my reference to semantics in the title of the post. If I were ignorant about watches, or were a novice collector, and someone made mention of "dial furniture", I'd probably write him off immediately as a pompous twit. But within the context of vintage collecting, and especially after some time has passed, and an appreciation for various nuances begin to take hold, the phrase actually makes a good deal of sense.

If one were to visit an old bus station in a small American city or town and take a quick look around, the word "furniture" would not likely spring to mind. Why? Because even though there would be chairs, they would be of such a utilitarian nature, that calling them chairs would suffice. The same is arguably true of watches. There are plenty of watches that were designed economically and largely for the sole purpose of displaying the time. Such watches feature hands and markers. But when watches were designed not only to display the time, but also to adorn the wrist, and please the eye, those intrinsically utilitarian components took on an additional purpose.

This particular model, and especially the markers, illustrates beautifully why "dial furniture" can be both a useful and reasonable expression to use. There are actually 16 markers employed (not "used", mind you ;)), as the 3, 6, 9, and 12 positions are doubled. Each one of the 16 markers are made of gold, and feature four facets (not including the sides). What this means is that the markers not only add a three-dimensional quality to the dial, but were also carefully designed to catch light in a very similar way to diamonds when used in jewelry. As one's wrist moves – even slightly – the light catches different facets while shadows overtake others. This has a very real, jewel-like effect, and catches the eye in a manner that printed dials, or even those with simple applied markers cannot.

While this is pure, possibly romantic conjecture on my part, I imagine that when these early chronometres were produced by Omega, the company wisely chose to make a statement with them, and not only in terms of accuracy. A high-class, albeit fairly simple screw-back case, a fine and interesting textured dial, matching dauphine hands and markers that arguably rivaled any that were being produced at the time by even the big three (i.e. V&C, PP, and AP).

I have looked closely through loupes at markers and hands used by a wide variety of manufactures during the Golden Era, and these are as fine as any that I have seen. It is also worth noting that I believe the gold content in the hands to have been higher than most, as they show none of the fairly typical signs of deterioration.

[​IMG]

Finally, let's see if anyone (excluding Erich who cannot play!) can tell, based on the information that I have provided, in what country this watch was originally sold. There is a small clue, but it can only be interpreted correctly by those who are aware of its significance.

Tony C.

Melhadary, TNTwatch, Gavin and 6 others like this.
  2. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Nov 30, 2014

Portugal.

kyle L likes this.
  3. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Nov 30, 2014

What took you so long?

4. John R Smith Nov 30, 2014

Is the OVD entry for 2657 completely incorrect?

5. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Nov 30, 2014

Not really. What Tony isn't saying is that some of these cases had two reference numbers, 2657 and 2494. His watch is a Ref. 2494:

http://www.omegawatches.com/planet-omega/heritage/vintage-watches-database?ref=15180

http://omegaforums.net/threads/yesterday-was-a-good-day-sm-2494-chronometer-good.5816/

[​IMG]

It could be that his particular watch doesn't have both numbers, since the casebacks were obviously interchangeable.

Now, how do we know that the watch was originally delivered to Portugal? Inquiring minds want to know...

...Like mine!
    gatorcpa

John R Smith likes this.
  6. kyle L Grasshopper Staff Member Nov 30, 2014

Top left lug :)

John R Smith likes this.
  7. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Nov 30, 2014

Ahhh...punch mark! Wasn't looking for it as I thought it was only done for gold watches.

Learn something new everyday!
    gatorcpa

8. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Nov 30, 2014

The gold cased watches sold in Portugal were, thoughtfully, stamped on the case back.

9. Tom Dick and Harry Nov 30, 2014

Thats a lovely piece, I am going to look at a pre connie 18K rose gold bumper this week with a linen dial, can't wait

10. rhetoric Nov 30, 2014

Lovely erudite and interesting post, Tony. Thanks for your stimulating observations.:thumbsup:

11. mozambique Nov 30, 2014

Beautiful example, and sharp eyes regarding country it was sold to

12. aga79 Nov 30, 2014

Great watch...
    nice dimension case ;)

13. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Dec 1, 2014

Thanks to all for your kind comments!

Much appreciated.

14. John R Smith Dec 1, 2014

A very nice watch, Tony. I was not trying to cast doubt on its authenticity, just puzzled by what appeared to be the wrong case reference. With regard to the term "dial furniture", I don't think that we should be surprised by its use, it seems entirely appropriate to me. In my profession, we use the term "street furniture" as a collective noun for signposts, drain covers, pillar boxes etc, and "door furniture" for the handles, locks and hinges which go with a door. Used like this it does not relate to furniture in the chairs or tables sense, but as in the fittings with which the artefact is furnished. So for dial markers and applied symbols etc, "furniture" seems to fit very well.

15. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Dec 1, 2014

No problem, John. I was aware of the double case reference, but didn't include the other, so I never had any doubts about the authenticity of the watch.

16. TNTwatch Dec 1, 2014

My 2494 gold cap says Hi. Just received it yesterday.

IMG_20141201_090306_r.JPG
    John R Smith and Melhadary like this.
  17. Melhadary Dec 1, 2014

Lovely furniture on both these unique 2494's ::love::

TNTwatch likes this.