Forums Latest Members

A New Kind of Ebay Scam (at least, new to me)

1. WatchVaultNYC Apr 2, 2017

So I was on Ebay looking for a replacement for my current android phone (Sony Xperia Z3 - incredibly competent phone, but poor software update support). I was in the market for a Google Pixel - the prices when new were too rich for me, so I was on the 'Bay looking for a nice pre-loved unit.

I found a seller, great reputation, with a Buy It Now price that was easily 40% below the retail price when new - it was just at the point where you would think "this is a screaming deal", but not yet at the point where you would think "this is a scam". So I bought it.

When I was trying to pay for it, no payment method worked. Not Paypal (tried 3 different accounts) nor credit cards (tried 3 different cards). So what was a buyer with a great deal that might slip through his fingers do? I of course contacted the seller, telling him that Ebay checkout was not working for me.

After that point. Nothing from the seller. I ended up buying another unit at not such a great deal as the first. It's on it's way to me now.

However
    , the next day I did get an email from Ebay warning me against any communication from this highly-rated seller. It turns out that the account might have been hijacked.

So this is how I think the scam works - you buy the item, but you cant pay for it using normal means (even if you wanted to - the seller's set paypal account is probably purposefully invalid). You then don't want to lose the item to someone else, so you contact the seller. The (scammers) seller tells you "oh, yeah I've been having problems with this, probably just an Ebay bug. But we can complete the transaction outside of Ebay". That's when you get fooled into making a wire, Paypal gift, or similar non-protected payment method.

2. leetse2 Apr 2, 2017

This exact scenario happened to me only for an Explorer II. However, the seller did follow up with me when I contacted them and wanted to complete the transaction outside eBay and thankfully I did not go through with the deal. Only a couple days later did eBay reach out to me and let me know the seller's account may have been hacked.

mokofoko and WatchVaultNYC like this.
  3. watchknut New watch + Instagram + wife = dumbass Apr 2, 2017

Happened to me too...

mokofoko and WatchVaultNYC like this.
  4. mokofoko One sad panda Apr 2, 2017

Paypal gift payments can be protected if you pay with a CC. Any payment made with a CC--sent as a gift or not--is fully covered under chargeback protections if SNAD or never received. I had to go that route a number of years ago with a photography purchase. Seller never sent anything and dropped off the face of the planet, and my CC gave me a full refund. It was handled through paypal as a typical dispute (obviously no protections through paypal with this payment type). I guess I should have noticed the warning signs when he would only accept paypal gift :D

Can't say I've come across this sort of scam yet. However, I did have two different buyers purchase the EXACT same thing from me last month--and both payments were immediately reversed. In both cases, the buyers responded and had no idea a purchase was made.

5. chows99 Apr 2, 2017

Thanks for sharing this educational post. Must be beware of scammers evolving tricks!!

6. Cosd Apr 3, 2017

Thanks for the heads up!!

Hope you don't feel I'm hijacking your post but I came across another scam two eeeks ago which is apparently common now.

My daughter ordered a couple of cheap mobile phone cases Fromm China. Nothing wrong with that and seller was kosher.
    Having not received her items and following up the purchase it turns out they were delivered to the States.
    So the scammers are intercepting the purchase and changing the delivery address.

WatchVaultNYC likes this.
  7. Wryfox Apr 4, 2017

Does anyone understand how an ebay account gets "hacked"? As big as ebay is, I would think they have better protection.

8. Lonestar insert Schwartz joke HERE Apr 4, 2017

easy-to-guess passwords... time and patience are the best hacking tools ;)

adi4 likes this.
  9. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Apr 4, 2017

Yup. People (users) are always the weakest link.

adi4 likes this.
  10. Cosd Apr 4, 2017

If they can hack secure government computers, they can hack the likes of Ebay!

Its just a game for hackers, the buzz of breaking the security; The scammers on the other hand have different objectives.

Edited Apr 4, 2017
  11. Kmart Apr 4, 2017

If you use a CC for a PayPal gift you are charged a fee though, sort of defeats the purpose of using the gift option.

12. jfmiii Apr 5, 2017

Thanks for sharing your story. eBay is truly a cesspool.

13. levkov Apr 13, 2017

Oh dear... I did just that last week, despite my over a decade old history & experience with eBay.
    Bought a lovely looking and very rare 70's Fortis Easy-Math off the German eBay, and only noticed afterwards that PayPal had not been given as a payment option, bank transfer only. I understand that there's now "eBay buyer protection" and "PayPal buyer protection" separately, so being really keen on the watch, of course I sent the funds. Also, the seller had over 800 positive (100%) feedbacks, so (unless the account's been hijacked), I felt protected..
    I'm a bit nervous now, though.. it's only been a week, fingers crossed it arrives when the holidays are over! :thumbsdown:

14. shishy www.hpmor.com Apr 13, 2017

Can confirm I have experienced this, incidentally with my first eBay "purchase" (didn't go through with it). Good looks.

15. levkov Apr 14, 2017

Looks like my body has developed a 6th sense, it can smell what's a scam and what isn't.. Or just keep getting lucky :)
    I received the watch, and it's amzing!:
    IMG_5701.jpg

Spacefruit likes this.