Forums Latest Members
  1. astradyne Oct 24, 2018

Recently I did what I would call a mystery purchase of a "non-working vintage Omega watch". This would not be my first mechanical vintage watch, but definitely my first vintage Omega. All I had was a few low resolution pictures and practically no information, other than that it's mechanical, non-working, vintage and supposedly an Omega in 32 mm size. The seller could not open the watch case to reveal the movement, but he accepted my price offer and return conditions, so we sealed the deal. While the watch is on it's way to me, I have been studying the pictures. Please take a look at the most detailed pictures:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now here's what I see and what questions it rises. The hour markers on the dial reminds me of the late 1940's Omega dials, however I have not found exactly the same dial anywhere over the Internet. The imprecise dial detalization and paper-like surface suggests me, that it's a quite old, maybe even a hand-done refinishing. Also the straight, sharp-edged lugs do not correlate with that era dials and well worn crown with remains of a gold plating raises more questions than provides answers. Still I have no clue about the movement, apart that it should be a manual winding calibre, otherwise the dial should have an "automatic" inscription on it.

What are your thoughts on this watche's authenticity and uniformity, what could be it's value for an Omega enthusiast for enjoyment and wearing? Would it be worth to repair and restore this watch to some degree?

Edited Nov 4, 2018
  2. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Oct 24, 2018

Based on those photographs I see it might be OK, or it might not.

Where's it coming from? Portugal?

Seaborg likes this.
  3. astradyne Oct 24, 2018

You probably noticed the distinctive floor tiles. Yes, a very close guess - not Portugal, but Italy.

Edited Oct 25, 2018
  4. Rochete Oct 25, 2018

Buying a "mistery watch" from Italy... you are bold.

5. w154 Oct 25, 2018

The questions about the authenticity, value, the benefits of restoration, etc might as well wait until it arrives if you’ve already bought it. From the photos you attached I think JimInOz is about right when he say that it might be OK, or might not.

Now if I saw those pictures I would take a bit of a risk too, so it depends how much you paid ?

6. astradyne Oct 25, 2018

I paid a "best offer" price, moreover with an option to return the watch, if it turns out not to be an authentic one. If it's up to my expectations, then it's financial value does not matter to me, as I am not planning to sell it. As I already said, the watches I am buying are purely for my enjoyment and wearing. Before this watch gets into my hands, we can evaluate it from these pictures only. So, "ach ja" or "nicht nicht"?

P.S. I am pretty sure, that I've already seen this type of dial, but at the moment I can't find anything even similar to it.

Edited Oct 25, 2018
  7. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Oct 25, 2018

I like the look of the dial (looks original TBDLWDP), hands may be generic replacements (or may not).
    So maybe "ach ja" (if that means "maybe I'm lucky").

8. jimmyd13 Oct 25, 2018

Well, you're not going to be getting your money back because it is a genuine Omega. The real questions are to condition. There are a few things on the dial that could be down to wear or to the dial having been cleaned/reprinted and so on. Wait til you have it in hand; take some really good, detailed, in-focus photos and come back then. It will be interesting to see what you got.

9. bubba48 Oct 25, 2018

Redial in my opinion

Clipboard01.jpg

What's wrong with Italy? ::confused2::

murph likes this.
  10. Rochete Oct 25, 2018

A huge, well established and widely known (at least in Europe) vintage frankenwatch industry.

murph and JimJupiter like this.
  11. murph Oct 25, 2018

I'm here to learn. Please elaborate.

12. Rochete Oct 25, 2018

I don't know how could I elaborate further. It's just a fact of life known by anyone with some experience buying vintage watches in the global online market : there is a huge amount of vintage frankenwatches "made in Italy", way more than from anywhere else in Europe (bar Ucraine perhaps).

I do buy in Italy but go with extra care. Dubious to say the least listing practices are rampant.

13. bubba48 Oct 25, 2018

I'm Italian and have been collecting watches for more than twenty years. In Italy there are probably the greatest experts in vintage watches, especially Rolex and Longines. Franken watch? it's better that you look in your country, wherever you live.

GuiltyBoomerang likes this.
  14. Rochete Oct 25, 2018

Even if that hyperbolic statement were true, how would that deny the existence of a prosperous frankenwatch industry in Italy?

You may want to have a look at ebay.it and then compare to ebay.de, ebay.co.uk, ebay.es or ebay.fr.

15. mancio Oct 25, 2018

Oh come on!
    We are not that bad.........:whistling::whistling:

Rochete likes this.