Forums Latest Members

A more recent addition to the collection - Genève Omega

1. Gruen_JackW Aug 29, 2019

I was essentially given a box of watches earlier this summer. Several surplus US military watches, a chronograph, some odds and ends and an Omega were in the box. I say given, because the person that offered me the box DID want me to just take it, but after a perusal of what was in it I realized that there was some value to it. I grabbed the maximum amount out of the ATM near by and just handed it over. He seemed happy.

So what was the Omega? it is #4 in my collection. Two of which are Regina marked early wrist watches. One I've posted about. It is also the most recent watch in my collection. I think the next one is mid-1960s.

But here is this one:

Hairy arm shot...
    image1_sm.jpg
    The dial seems to have sustained some damage at some point in time. The 37 and 38 minute indices as are the 'w' and 'i' in Swiss have been obliterated. Crystal has the Omega symbol in the center, so I am guessing that is legit.

Movement.... The cal 565 which seems to a better version of what was on offer from Omega at the time (1968-ish)....
    image2_sm.jpg
    24 jewels.... As far as my collection goes, I think the next highest jewel count is 21.

And the info from the inside of the case back:
    image3_sm.jpg
    Bit blurry I know but the main info is legible.

Found this too:
    https://www.omegawatches.com/watch-omega-geneve-omega-st-166-0041

Been wearing it for a week now and it is dead accurate. The variation has been under +/- 5s so far. Even my modern Hammie doesn't keep that good of time. They guy that gave it to me says that it was serviced recently and there is a watchmakers mark that is registered with the AWCI.

Anyway.... what a watch!

DaveK, fastfras, Vitezi and 3 others like this.
  2. Spruce Sunburst dial fan Aug 30, 2019

Lucky you!
    This really is a great watch; the movement, the case, the style and the accuracy!
    And although it’s still a 34.5 case, it wears just that little bigger, in keeping with today’s larger styles.
    Enjoy it.

B116C20C-0AE0-4076-A4DF-32320B6225D7.jpeg

DaveK and Gruen_JackW like this.
  3. Gruen_JackW Aug 30, 2019

Thank you, Spruce!

4. KingCrouchy Aug 30, 2019

Nice one! My younger Ref.166041 says hello.:thumbsup:

IMG_20190819_154355.jpg
  5. Spruce Sunburst dial fan Aug 30, 2019

I should mention that I’m also a great fan of the very similar 552 version :)

6. tdn-dk Aug 30, 2019

jose75, Gruen_JackW, Maybe and 4 others like this.