Forums Latest Members

A Moonwatch ownership experience from a Non Believer

1. akshaydashrath Jan 25, 2019

I hope this is in the right section and I also hope it helps some individuals who are on the fence when it comes to a decision regarding "Should I or Shouldn't I" with a Moonwatch. This to be honest is my first online review of anything, which in itself is quite a testament for me personally how strongly I now feel about the Moonwatch (beware! this is quite a long read).

Let me begin by making clear that I've never really felt connected with a Moonwatch. Thats not to say I haven't considered buying one, for the last 6 years I've sporadically considered it, but I've been put off time and again by "issues" such as the hexalite crystal or the fact that in my eyes it just lacked that special sauce to me personally.

Most of my purchases are based off watches I'd come across growing up (I'm in my mid thirties now), my first watch as a Tag F1 Chrono with an orange dial, that was on my list of must haves having seen it in iTV's Formula 1 magazine almost on a monthly basis, my second was an Omega Seamaster Professional, of course as it was the "Bond" watch and along the way I was quite influenced as many of us are regarding the in-house movements and purchased two Noms, an Ahoi and a Minimatik (this was never in the plan). Finally last year I purchased my grail watch, the Rolex Explorer after seeing it time and time again over the years in National Geographic. At this stage I did consciously debate if I should be getting the Speedmaster Moonwatch instead, but I just didn't "feel" it.

I spent a wonderful year with my Explorer but I as quite a many of my fellow collectors suffer from some degree of OCD and the Rolex being a scratch magnet and the fact that this being my grail meant I was overly protective and for some reason this only made the scratches and damages worse didn't help. My lifestyle doesn't help, I'm quite active with varied interests, I run a coffee plantation in India, a less interesting tech company in London, travel quite regularly, spend quite a bit of my time outdoors and regularly shoot Skeet (none of these pursuits, except for the tech are particularly easy on a watch, mind you the deepest scratch on my explorer's bezel was from a colleagues id badge in the office). Anyway to cut the crux, I'm trying to paint a picture of my lifestyle and how the Speedmaster (at least in my head) didn't really fit in.

End of December I decided to make a few changes in my life (New Year Resolution time!) and decided I'm going to offload items that don't emotionally matter to me and potentially use the money for things more important in life. Both the Nomos (Nomii???) were the first to go, they're nice, but I feel they lack soul. A whole collection of Fountain pens went next. I'd made up my mind to put this money back into the coffee plantation, however my wife, being the kind hearted soul she is insisted I buy another watch with this money. I hadn't considered it until that point, but this was exciting. I zeroed in on a second hand Explorer II. Went down to a renowned second hand dealer in Hatton Garden, who had this 2010 almost mint Explorer II that was just beautiful. I saw it and knew that I had to own it, only issue I'd have to put in some more money, surprise! surprise! the Nomos barely touched the halfway mark of what I paid for them. Impulsively, I asked the gentleman in Hatton Garden if he had a Speedmaster Moonwatch, and he did, a brand new one at that, and my Nomos sales would pay for the watch, now this must be a sign I thought to myself (I don't really believe in signs unless I need to convince myself I need to buy a watch). I left the store, said I'll think about it, that very evening Omega announced the 321, this confused me, is this a good sign or not? Hell! it is 50 years since the Moon Landing that's a sign enough. That was sign enough, I've now successfully convinced myself off I go the next day and buy the Moonwatch.

By 12:00pm I'm a proud new owner of a Moonwatch, first manual wind I own, the OCD kicks in, I now start keeping track of the amount of time it gains/looses. Just as a reference point, my Rolex is at 0.4 seconds a day, the Seamaster is 2.5 seconds and now the Moonwatch is 13, 13 seconds! Now I start experimenting with positions, crown down brings it to a barely acceptable 7 seconds in my opinion. The third day it runs low on wind, I apparently hadn't wound it enough. I'm not sure I'm liking this experience much at this point. The bracelet as well is not the most comfortable, I'm in-between sizes, its either too loose or two tight, hair on my arm seems to get pulled by the bracelet which was a bit upsetting. Off the bracelet goes, in the process I seem to have lightly gouged the lugs (I've changed my Seamaster strap over 20 times with no issues), first ding as well against a door, right this isn't going too well at this point. Anyway I still feel that this watch has a bit more character to it than both the Nomos together so all is not lost. I've always wanted to try JPM vintage straps and from images online it seemed like the Speedmaster took to different straps really well. So I purchase two JPM straps, one suede brown and another green (I have a thing for green). I've now spent hours online trying to find out what makes the watch so special, the movement is ancient by technological terms, the design in my opinion has no striking features. Then it hits me, THATS IT! This is the closest anyone can come to buying a piece of history, the watch is unchanged since the 70s whether it's the movement or the design. Its a firm anchor in horological past and the best part it just works.

The design has grown on me, I haven't used a chrono in awhile and I've now grown to appreciate the perfect spacing between the dials and the overall legibility. It's probably the most versatile watch when it comes to straps. I love it on the green JPM vintage strap. Most importantly, for some reason I don't feel like babying the watch, it feels like its just begging to be used. I've been using it everyday for the last two weeks and I don't want to use anything else. This just feels right, feels like a tank (still need to take it down to the coffee estate but I'm sure its going to hold up just fine). Thinking about it, the Moonwatch can't be broken down into its parts and its not a sum of its parts. It's one of those rare watches or items that you possess that contains a soul. The immense respect the Speedmaster holds with collectors has a foundation in it being solid, well designed and relatively affordable, the soul in my opinion is because of the immense following, communities, the individuals, the articles and the books all talking about this "tool" transforms the Moonwatch into an eternal icon in the world of Horology. Well that brings us to the end of my rather long story/opinion of my Moonwatch journey. if someone is on the fence, don't measure the watch by its parts, take the leap, chances are you'll love the watch.

I've attached one picture of the Moonwatch on my favourite green strap.

DSC_3791.jpg
    PhotonX, OWa, Speedy2254 and 29 others like this.
  2. Jones in LA Isofrane hoarder. Jan 25, 2019

Wow, what a great read. Thanks for taking the time to write this up and share your experience.

I stumbled into the Moonwatch as well, and now can't imagine being without it. I'm going to say something that I don't want to come across as sexist -- I'm saying it as a matter of fashion, and as representative of the Male gender: I believe that every man of means should own a Moonwatch. There, I've said it. And I welcome a representative of the female gender to make a similar declaration on behalf of her gender :) .

An equally interesting story would be how your colleague's ID badge put a gouge in your Explorer's bezel...a fist fight in the lunch room perhaps?

Edited Jan 26, 2019
    superfly, Spacefruit and amiriqbal like this.
  3. Jones in LA Isofrane hoarder. Jan 25, 2019

p.s. be sure to order a tube or two of Polywatch if you haven't already done so. All I can say is it's magic, and makes scratching up the crystal from time to time seem like not a big deal.

In the photo below you see the result of me scraping the brick wall adjacent to our booth, in a bar, after imbibing much drink with Mrs.Jones. Less than 30 seconds of work with two drops of Polywatch and it was like it never happened (the scratch, that is -- my headache the next day affirmed that it really happened).

pw1_IMG_0887.jpg

RMA, Muddlerminnow and shoota70 like this.
  4. akshaydashrath Jan 26, 2019

Glad you enjoyed the read. It was just a thought dump. Regarding the Explorer bezel chip, it wasn't all that exciting. I run an agency and my colleague and I were visiting a new client, we'd just been given passes which were of the extendable type. My colleague handed me my pass, so I pulled on the ID card end but he held on to the base for a few few seconds so it extended then let go, the extendable part of the body whacked into the watch causing the bezel to chip. This was a week after I bought it. I was devastated.

Completely agree that every watch enthusiast must own a Speedmaster and I'll be sure to pick up some poly watch, that scrape looks quite scary :).

Jones in LA likes this.
  5. Jones in LA Isofrane hoarder. Jan 26, 2019

OMG. What was the statistical probability of that happening? The Watch Gods can be so cruel sometimes.

akshaydashrath likes this.
  6. Skrv Jan 27, 2019

Great post. When I got my citizenship went straight to the AD right after the oath ceremony wanting to buy a bond omega. Then looked at the moon watch and thought why not buy this instead for the history. Was worried I was going to baby it like the Rolex I have in the box for few years. Started wearing it on the dark brown omega nato strap and it is easily the most wearable watch I have ever purchased. It’s my daily wearer now and holds up great in every situation. First couple of door knob hits were painful and then stopped caring about it :). Now catching the bug and put a AD deposit for 50th year anniversary watch without even seeing the watch or knowing the price. Welcome to the club.

Al22 and akshaydashrath like this.
  7. dan7800 Jan 27, 2019

Great read.

Fearing the chipping of my bezel is one thing that holds me back from wearing my Speedie more frequently. People say that you should love it and wear it (and they're correct), but it is a pain that I'd rather not deal with.

Welcome to the club and OF.

8. zrleopold Jan 27, 2019

Nice write-up! Love the green strap. I have a couple B&S straps and I can't recommend them enough!

9. akshaydashrath Jan 28, 2019

@dan7800 worst case scenario isn't the bezel replaceable?

@zrleopold that's probably the same as what I've got. I think JPM do some of the straps for Bulang, brilliant straps

zrleopold likes this.
  10. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jan 28, 2019

Had one for nearly five years and proudly wear it like its stolen. Don’t polywatch it give it a clean when I remember, swam with it for the first 18months
    D565FEFE-7EF3-4566-B94D-1D703252343D.jpeg

Even nearly lost it the other week ( won’t make that mistake again )
    C13FEA59-B86B-4B86-8E35-FF1A40F8A777.jpeg

11. Skyblue44 Jan 28, 2019

Congrats! Welcome to the brotherhood!

12. akshaydashrath Jan 28, 2019

STANDY likes this.
  13. Au79 Aluminium Jan 28, 2019

Great read. Thanks for writing it up akshaydashrath. Well written. Welcome !

14. vbrad26 Jan 28, 2019

Enjoyed that.
    Congrats, and welcome!

15. Bushido Jan 28, 2019

Excellent read and great to see you've so quickly and easily bonded with the watch. Welcome to the forums!

16. FlyingSnoopy Jan 28, 2019

Congratulations...
    As time passes the watch will become mor3 dear to you...
    Cheers

17. drhex Jan 28, 2019

Every scratch makes it more of your own. Remember and cherish!

18. Stevedssd Jan 28, 2019

Great post and nicely sums up all that is good about the Speedmaster. That JPM strap really works but be warned the Speedie is very very strap friendly and you will soon build up a collection of leather and NATO's :)

19. Eve Jan 28, 2019

Damn it, your story made me want to get one as well.. Just told myself a few days ago, that 2 Omegas are more than enough to cover all my life situations. This forum is a curse :mad: :)

akshaydashrath and murph like this.
  20. akshaydashrath Jan 28, 2019

I need to get a commission from Omega

Eve likes this.