Forums Latest Members
  1. lillatroll Nov 5, 2017

Read about this on Hodinkee, looks like a fun read. I ordered a copy. Anyone else here got it? I think it would be a great Christmas gift for watch nerds. ( I bought mine on Amazon, it was cheaper than Hodinkee)

A Man and His Watch: Iconic Watches and Stories from the Men Who Wore Them Hardcover
    – October 31, 2017

by Matt Hranek

Geme81, watchdaddy1 and Jwit like this.
  2. CajunTiger Cajuns and Gators can't read newspapers! Nov 5, 2017

I received mine a few weeks ago...very nice book!

watchdaddy1 and lillatroll like this.
  3. ReturnOfUltraman Nov 5, 2017

Finished it last night. Great read!

AMAHW.jpg
    watchdaddy1, lillatroll and Jwit like this.
  4. Ninja2789 Nov 5, 2017

Probably one of the better values out there (~$20 on Amazon)

Decent pictures and great stories about the watches and what they mean to the people who own them. I also really liked how it spanned everything from a $100k Rolex to a less expensive Timex gifted by Bill Murray.

Definitely recommend

watchdaddy1, lillatroll and Jwit like this.
  5. Jwit Not a doctor, but plays one on ΩF Nov 5, 2017

Planning on getting it in the near future! Looks like a great read. The author was interviewed on Hodinkee’s “Friday Live” too if anyone is interested.

6. calientegolfer1 Nov 6, 2017

I received my copy today as a gift from a new friend and fellow watch aficionado. I thoroughly enjoyed each story that was featured for each individual watch. I highly recommend this book for yourself or for any watch enthusiast on your gift list. BTW, it is currently sold out at HODINKEE, however, it is available at Amazon at a discount. Enjoy

watchdaddy1, Jwit and lillatroll like this.
  7. citizenrich Metal Mixer! Nov 6, 2017

Arghhh bug men!

8. panaitchrono Nov 6, 2017

You convince me..I have to read it..:)

9. ClarendonVintage Nov 6, 2017

Interesting!

10. Wivac Terribly special Nov 6, 2017

I've been thinking about this book for a while, this has swung it for me. Ta.

11. bazamu wincer, not a bidder Nov 6, 2017

Just ordered. For $23, this is a steal for anyone who loves watches (IMO).

watchdaddy1, Jwit and lillatroll like this.
  12. leetse2 Nov 8, 2017

Picked up a copy as well. Great watches and stories, and actually helped my wife get a better understanding of why I love watches so much.

BTW - Amazon is the best and the worst. Great price for the book but my copy came all dented and dinged up.

lillatroll and watchdaddy1 like this.
  13. Clibka Nov 8, 2017

Beautiful book. Very nice coffee table addition.

IMG_0040.jpg

14. SpeedyPhill Founder Of Aussie Cricket Blog Mark Waugh Universe Jun 14, 2023

I see this book everywhere and A Man and His Watch ... IMHO is a simple introduction to wrist watches, but this book has a lot of mistakes, here're three examples:
    Page 82: Edmund Hillary wore a Rolex on the top of Everest. In fact, since 1933 Rolex sponsored the Himalayan expeditions and they used the right words, Rolex worn TO the top of Mt Everest. New Zealander Edmund Hillary carried a 33mm SMITHS wrist watch ON top of Everest. This British-made SMITHS can be seen in the British Science museum in London.
    Page 103: Omega Alaska Project Speedmaster was never used in space In fact, in 1977 the Omega Alaska II Project Speedmaster was worn during Russian Soyuz 25 & Soyuz 26 missions to Salyut-6 space station. It was even used during a spacewalk in July 1978 !
    Page 104: Schirra's Speedmaster was the first watch in space (1962) In fact, in April 1961 Yuri Gagarin wore the first watch in space, a Russian-made 17 jewels Shturmanskie.
    ::book:: #MoonwatchUniverse

15. Fallout Boy Jun 14, 2023

Nevertheless , Phill, nice stories from the pre-gender aera of MEN - and: no relumed dials or laser-welded cases :)

SmithSJ and SpeedyPhill like this.
  16. kohster Sep 2, 2023

Also just got this one from the library. Not done with it yet but the quick stories are really neat from the standpoint of hearing first person perspectives. The pictures are all really big and dramatic too.

lillatroll likes this.
  17. SOG53 Sep 2, 2023

My wife gave this to me for Christmas and I enjoy it. Trouble is that she wonders why I can’t be happy with just one watch like the people in the book.

Aroxx, lillatroll and vibe like this.
  18. kohster Sep 3, 2023

Finished the book today. Some of the stories were extremely poignant, others more exciting, all personal and well presented. Kind of surprised not a single Royal Oak.

19. Aroxx Sets his watch Sep 3, 2023

I just ordered this book due to this thread. Should be here tomorrow. Looking forward to some good watch reading.

Duracuir1 likes this.
  20. dougwhiz Sep 4, 2023

Got the book a few years ago. Enjoyed it but passed it on to the library book sale, trying to downsize. Then my daughter got it for me for Christmas this year. Actually glad to read it again, so I'm keeping it. I also recently acquired the less colorful version of Ben Clymer's Speedmaster Mk40.

Aroxx and Duracuir1 like this.