Forums Latest Members

A longines from... 1920s? (solved: probably 1915!)

1. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Aug 11, 2020

Indeed I like the watch and the nice blue numerals- too bad indeed that Longines signature was added so crudely.

As far as the year is concerned, it should be noted that the website Vintage Watch Ressources is less precise when it comes to those early years. I own a watch serial number 3093289 and Longines sold it in 1916. So this one would be at least 1916, perhaps a couple years older.

It’s really a pity that dial signature was added so crudely but indeed if you ever wanted to part with it I might be interested.... is the watch about 27mm wide?

Winston_Smith likes this.
  2. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Aug 11, 2020

The Vintage Watch Resources site is just a database of existing serial number tables for production dates.

The information on invoicing from Longines is far more accurate, since it from the sales ledgers. For the OP’s watch, I suspect that Longines records will show invoicing sometime after 1915, perhaps as late as 1920.

So long as the invoice date is after the production date, then it make perfect sense to me.
    gatorcpa

3. Winston_Smith Aug 12, 2020

Yes, it's definitely sad to see this Longines signature added so terribbly. But one of its previous owner's apparently wanted to show it off so bad that he/she even considered this! I'm really flattered by your interest in the watch but for the time being, it's my father's last gift to my wife and she loves wearing it :)

Yup, this seems to be the case with my watch, too. Following @Dan S 's advice, I contacted Longines and they replied to me within just a day with an impressive provenance (I've also asked for a hard copy of the extract):

upload_2020-8-12_18-43-30.png

While this points to the fact that the watch is at least from 1918, we know that the serial number refers to 1915. I'm also amazed to hear the authentification of its beautiful serial number, 3,335,335 !

Furthermore, after receiving this email, I've digged in to see who Nacib K. Djezvedjian (or in Turkish, Nasib K. Cezveciyan) was. This is what I found out:

Apparently, Nacib and his sons were the exclusive distributors of Longines wrist and pocket watches for Ottoman Empire and, after 1923, Turkey, from 1880s to 1960s. This Armenian-Ottoman family Co was also distributor of Vacheron Constantin watches for sometime. Just like Turler of Omega, Longines sold most of its watches to Nacib Djezvedjian by adding his name to the dial or to movement, just like it was the case with my watch. And, yes, the sign we discussed in previous messages actually reads Nasib (the way Nacib is pronounced in Turkish) and not Nazir, as I mistakenly thought):

upload_2020-8-12_18-53-20.png
    نصيب - "Nasib"

This explains why some of late 19th and early 20th c. Longines have this Arabic engraving.

Also see some examples of custom-made Longines "Nacib Djezvedjian" collection:

upload_2020-8-12_19-6-29.png
    [​IMG]

And some Djezvedjian extracts and ads:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1aacd5715.jpg

Could the one in the middle be my watch? :p Anyways, it says that the Nacib Djezvedjian and Sons Co is located in Grand Bazaar (which may still be the case, I've got their last known address and I'll check it out soon) and that they are selling various jewelry of gold, platinum and diamonds to their distinguished and classy clients in the year of 1914.

All in all, all the information on the watch checks out and this watch is taking me to an amazing journey from Swiss watchmakers to the Ottoman Empire. Will keep the thread posted for more!

Edit: Broken photo.

Edited Aug 12, 2020
  4. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Aug 12, 2020

Hi there, totally understand you would want to keep the watch if it holds sentimental value.

@gatorcpa, I’m curious about the various sources of Longines serial numbers found on line. Where do they come from? How do we know they refer to production date and why would anyone deem them any more reliable than Longines’ own invoicing and sales records to date a watch?

AFAIK the dating Longines collectors use and consider authoritative comes from the extract of archives, which refers to the date the watch is sold by the manufacture to a distributor.
    Those listings found on line are great for estimates and we all use them, but I’m curious where they come from and how we know that they are production dates.

Many thanks in advance;
    Best regards

5. Winston_Smith Aug 12, 2020

I totally understand and share your concerns. By asking about the reliability of the numbers, I also wanted to understand the evidence behind the making of these online lists. I'd really appreciate if anyone shed some light on this.

6. DaveK Yoda of Yodelers Aug 12, 2020

Congrats all on this thread. Very interesting ::book::

7. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Aug 12, 2020

You would need to ask the authors of the websites, some of which are listed below.

http://www.pocketwatchrepair.com/histories/longines.php

https://millenarywatches.com/longines-serial-number/

https://serial-number-decoder.co.uk/longines/longines.htm

I suspect they they came from old reference books that have been out there for years. Where that information came from, I have no clue.

They are all pretty consistent. Based on the sales information I have received on my watches from Longines, all have been invoiced sometime (1-3 years) after the time indicated by movement serial numbers from these sites.

The same is also true with respect to the few Omegas and JLC’s for which I was able to obtain before they started charging ridiculous money for that information.

Again, I can only report on what I have observed. That may or may not be your experience.
    gatorcpa