Forums Latest Members

A little (unexpected) visit to a local boutique.

1. dantaspaulo Apr 3, 2014

So I went to the mall this evening to get myself a couple of new shirts and noticed Omega opened a new boutique in Rio. While I was window shopping, one of the clerks came outside to invite me in to a glass of single malt and I showed no resistance :D.

We talked a bit about Omega and I mentioned I really wanted to get the JTT. Much to my surprise, he produced not one, but THREE volumes which had just arrived but wouldn't be sold before Monday. After making him promise to sell me one then and yet another shot of a very decent single malt and talking a lot about the new SM300, they ended up giving me some nice gifts, even though I did mention I my heart was into vintage stuff and that the only current model I'd consider is the new SM300.

IMG_2810.JPG IMG_2811.JPG IMG_2812.JPG

They do know how to bring people in -- now I have my name in a waiting list (yes, there's one in Rio) for the new SM300.

Anyone interested in buying a car?

lenny, JohnSteed, citizenrich and 3 others like this.
  2. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Apr 4, 2014

That clerk deserves an award for spotting future Omega loyal customer..........

dantaspaulo likes this.
  3. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Apr 4, 2014

Maybe it's their training?

A couple of years ago I was on holiday in Scotland and I was at a loose end as Annie was looking at clothes, so as you do, I was window shopping at an Omega dealer (in Braehead I think) when an attractive lady (very attractive lady!) came outside and invited me in. She noticed my Speedie and proceeded to give me a full tour of the store.

It was a very pleasant hour, the longest enjoyable time I've ever had in a shopping centre!

But no single malt though :(

watchme and dantaspaulo like this.
  4. citizenrich Metal Mixer! Apr 4, 2014

Wow, I remember "back in the day" when you had to be accompanied with men with automatic weapons when you went jewelry - watch shopping in copa, ipanema or downtown and then straight to the bank safety boxes with your goodies. Rio was always one of the best places to buy gemstones in the world but it was like the Wild West!

Rio has gone from 3rd world to 1st and then some in warp speed! Back in the early 90's Brasil changed currency more often than I change my underwear. Now the Real is basically a premier currency. Brasil is a cool country w/ the nicest people in the world. I'm so happy for the good fortune of that nation...

Where is the new omega boutique? barra da tijuca or downtown??

dantaspaulo likes this.
  5. dantaspaulo Apr 4, 2014

We've got two now, one in Barra da Tijuca and one in Leblon. And yes, Rio has changed a *LOT* over the past twenty years -- but still a very long way to go, I think. Yet, it's perfectly safe to walk around wearing an expensive watch.

I hear they are opening another boutiquein Ipanema's high street sometime soon, right next to Rolex. :D

citizenrich likes this.
  6. CdnWatchDoc Apr 5, 2014

I recently had a similar experience in Las Vegas...walked in to the boutique in the Bellagio, started to chat with a fellow who turned out to be the asst manager, and spent a very pleasant hour trying on and discussing many of Omega's models. Fell in love with the Speedy Racing dial (Tintin version), and was able to buy a copy of the AJTT. No single malt, but properly cooled Perrier...all this for a guy in jeans and a T-shirt (did have a Baume and Mercier on my wrist...). And received an email from Joseph thanking me for visiting!! Now I am mentally planning my next trip down to include time at the boutique (and hopefully a purchase...)