Forums Latest Members

A little JLC Reverso help please? (2024 update)

1. tyrantlizardrex Mar 19, 2017

Hi Gang,

Since the JLC event in London a few weeks back, I've been looking at the Reverso line.

I've decided that what I would like is a simple, two hand, manual wind model, preferably with a black dial.

These requirements, seem to point to three models:

1 - Grande Reverso Ultra Thin tribute to 1931 (46mm x 27.5mm) Steel

Grande-Reverso-Ultra-Thin-Tribute-to-1931_Steel.jpg

2 - Reverso Grande Taille Shadow (42mm x 26mm) Steel (reference 271.8.61)

236a998442cd29bbbcc8ad66d6de7eda_9.jpg

3 - Reverso Classic Shadow (38.5mm x 23mm) Steel (reference 251.8.86)

32407926dafcbf82c43ecd715876afb8_9.jpg

So here's where the help comes in.

Realistically, I can't/don't want to pay for a tribute to 1931, they're lovely, but beyond what I can afford.

So I am looking at the two "shadow" models - neither seems to tally with a current model size wise - does anyone have experience of either?

Both were marketed as Gents watches, I'd guess as a bigger guy, the larger size (Grande) would maybe suit me better, but the Classic doesn't seem much smaller.

Any help most appreciated for a steer here ladies and gents.

Cheers

Chris

watch3s likes this.
  2. Paedipod Mar 19, 2017

try before you buy........I had a grand sport for a short while. They have a shape all their own, different than a regular rectangular watch and with the reversing mechanism felt a little "thick". They are very elegant looking and maybe that's fine, but didn't stick long with me (I am not so elegant). They are tiny in relation to a flightmaster.

Another thing that is less relevant for you, the service over the pond(here) is not very good if you ever run into problems.

tyrantlizardrex likes this.
  3. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Mar 19, 2017

My Grande Duodate. You are a big guy so you need some wrist presence. The shape takes getting used to and they are thick so try before you buy.

I prefer guilloche dials. Lots of options on these so take your time. I enjoy mine.
    IMG_4160.JPG

Taddyangle, sjg22, dxholdren and 3 others like this.
  4. tyrantlizardrex Mar 19, 2017

Thanks @Paedipod and @Larry S top advice! :cool:

I was leaning towards the larger case size - will try to find some in boutiques/dealers to try.

I'd also heard things about complicated/expensive service, but the London Bond Street boutique seem to be able to service in house. :thumbsup:

5. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident Mar 19, 2017

Don't buy a Quartz one by mistake ;)

watch3s, Jwit and tyrantlizardrex like this.
  6. tyrantlizardrex Mar 19, 2017

That much I knew. :thumbsup::whistling:;)

argonbeam likes this.
  7. flyingout Mar 19, 2017

I have the old Duoface from around 2000, so the Grande Taille size. I'm not a small guy, but with wrists a bit shy of 7.5". It certainly isn't a big watch and it gets used fairly rarely, mainly for dress, although I wore it heavily (strap shows) for business travel in years past.

As mentioned, its shape does make comparisons difficult. For example, lug to lug this guy is just shy of my 37mm Master Grand Taille, which for me wears nicely, though arguably not large either.

I've never tried on the larger reversos, but this one ain't going anywhere. And who knows, once I get a new strap it may get worn more often. (Recently serviced, btw.)

IMG_1280.jpg

Yaki Niku, watch3s, Deafboy and 2 others like this.
  8. tyrantlizardrex Mar 19, 2017

That's lovely @flyingout - I get what you guys are saying about the size... I'm just struggling to find anything else that's available as a simple, discrete two hander... and I also like the idea of a dress watch on a ostrich strap as a bit of a beater... :whistling:

neilfrancis likes this.
  9. Paedipod Mar 19, 2017

I think that the gloves make this two-hander a dress watch....
    IMG_2482.JPG

shishy, kkt, semper_shells and 4 others like this.
  10. tyrantlizardrex Mar 19, 2017

::facepalm1::

watch3s likes this.
  11. Flingit1200s Mar 19, 2017

Another, "what watch should I buy" thread. ::facepalm1::

watch3s likes this.
  12. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Mar 19, 2017

Yes.

Honestly at every gtg I have done when someone brings a reverso it's the one watch everyone tries on, and everyone claims they will get one. They are all winners.

Size does not matter as much on these as you would think.

13. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Mar 19, 2017

Every collection should include a Reverso or two. IMO

14. quito No, my first name is NOT Mos. Mar 19, 2017

Grand taille size on 7 inch wrist. image.jpg

Yaki Niku, rolokr and Larry S like this.
  15. tyrantlizardrex Mar 19, 2017

Hey, easy there. ::shy::

I've tried on all of the current ones, I'm struggling to find any brick and mortar location that has a simple, time only Reverso for sale that's more than 2 years old to look at.

I'd also narrowed it down to three models.

I know there are fans here, so was hoping for (and got) some good advice, which is appreciated. :cool:

I was leaning towards the Grande Taille - and the views above have secured that lean - cheers chaps. :thumbsup:

If this was a real "What watch should I buy" thread, I'd have said I'm looking for a Reverso, which one should I buy, and then got shirty about people giving me good advice. ;)

Eve, SpikiSpikester, Davidt and 2 others like this.
  16. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Mar 19, 2017

I kind of like the proportions on the original over the Grand Taille.

You want an affordable vintage "Reverso"? Look for a vintage 1938-41 Hamilton Otis model.

[​IMG]

Roughly the same size as the original. The movement is a Hamilton 982. It was considered the top of the line when introduced in 1935.

[​IMG]

The case design was licensed from the original LeCoultre patent. The number is engraved on the case:

[​IMG]

There used to be rumors that this was discontinued due to litigation from JLC, but there are two very big reasons why that is not true. First, there were no LeCoultre distribution channel in the US until after WWII. Second, civilian production of all Hamilton watches stopped in early 1942 due to the war. Very few pre-war models were brought back when normal production resumed in 1946, this was not one of them.

There are always a few of these on eBay at any one point in time, but given that it was only made with gold-filled cases, it is tough to find one today without wear through on the sliding and rotation areas.

Good luck whatever you decide.
    gatorcpa

17. Flingit1200s Mar 19, 2017

Sorry. My mistake and thanks for clearing up what a real "what watch should I buy" thread is. I stand corrected.

18. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Mar 19, 2017

Personally for me this design is meant to be in SS. That's where it's art deco coolness comes out. Enjoy the hunt!

Greatoldone and tyrantlizardrex like this.
  19. Riviera Paradise Mar 19, 2017

I am travelling right now and don't have the my ultra thin duo face with me to photograph (can only offer some shitty cropped pics below from some of my collection shots). I prefer the clean design of the ultra thin range, but those shadow models look very cool.
    Reverso duo_2.jpg Reverso duo.jpg

Eve, rhetoric, Foo2rama and 1 other person like this.
  20. rcs914 Mar 20, 2017

I love the Reverso but have always felt that if you were going to get one, it would be best to get a Duo - it's the only one to me that ever lived up to the name, since who is ever going to turn it around to look at the back of the case? I'd much rather see a different watch face.