Forums Latest Members
  1. Mirey Sep 5, 2016

Brand new to owning an Omega but have enjoyed this one for as long as I can remember. My dad bought this new in Italy at the PX in the early 70's. He is in ill health and passed it on to me. I plan on passing it on to one of my sons, hopefully many years from now. I believe he may have had this serviced only once approx. 20 years ago.

The case is stamped 145.022 ST 71 but, the "timer" hand looks like it is from an earlier Speedmaster and the outside of the case does not seem to jive with other ST 71's I have seen. Since the watch has not cost me any money, I just dropped it off at Omega for a factory service, specifying I do not want the bezel or dial replaced. I did not get a picture of the movement or the serial number but they looked at it and said it is an 861 movement.

I guess my questions to all that are more knowledgable than myself are:

Did I do the right thing by taking it to Omega for service.
    Is the case a little odd for a 145.022 ST 71
    Is the "timer" hand old stock when they put it together (it has a tear drop end, not flat.)

Lastly, I am debating between a modern SS Speedmaster braclet or black leather band, suggestions welcome.

I apologize in advance for any bad terminology and/or dumb questions and missed information.

Thanks Matt

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg
  2. gemini4 Hoarder Of Speed et alia Sep 5, 2016

cvrle1 likes this.
  3. cvrle1 Sep 5, 2016

No idea how whole service wit Omega works, as in if they return parts that you request, but I heard of stories where all the good parts are replaced with service parts, and watch is completely screwed. Someone on here posted few days ago that several months after he sent his watch to Omega for service, and he specified that he wants parts back, he is still dealing with this and waiting for original parts to be returned.

Seems like general consent it that it is not a good idea to send these old watches for service to Omega.

4. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Sep 5, 2016

There are dozens of threads on why you don't send vintage to Omega. Get it back before they ruin the collector value.

Foo2rama likes this.
  5. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Sep 6, 2016

This is an extremely rare speedmaster because of the back.
    Omega service might ruin it if it goes to Bienne.
    If you are in UK then sent it to STS.
    I am very jealous because I want this watch!

Keep it and care for it, it's special.

gemini4 likes this.
  6. WatchVaultNYC Sep 6, 2016

What ties the caseback to the watch, other than the '71 serial number?
    Asking because someone is offering me one of these.

7. gemini4 Hoarder Of Speed et alia Sep 6, 2016

It's mentioned in MWO

8. Clibka Sep 6, 2016

What an awesome piece to remember your loved one. So far no one has said if the Chrono hand is correct, my guess is no from that reference, but there are more knowledgeable people to confirm ...

Lastly, I think speedies are one of the more versatile watches. Go with a steel, leather and get a few natos to keep it fresh and rotate them around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Magnix likes this.
  9. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Sep 6, 2016

OP acknowledged it is not correct.

10. Clibka Sep 6, 2016

Ahh. I read that wrong. He was asking if it was correct for a service hand, not it the hand was correct as original. My apologies.

11. Mirey Sep 16, 2016

Thanks for all the input.

Just an update as I spoke with Omega and they found a little corrosion on the case.
    They wanted to replace the case but agreed to clean the original up but would not guarantee water resistance (Iam good with that.).
    The case back will stay with the watch.
    They will replace the dial, hands and crystal but, return all the original parts.

I know I will get flack but again, this will be passed down to one of my sons in 40 years or so, "collectibility" is not my concern, keeping it running as a semi daily wear is. If it is every sold, I can take it back to original with the returned parts.

I will update with the finished watch.

Steve88M3 likes this.
  12. West Slope Sep 16, 2016

Just say no.....and do it asap. God knows what they are going to charge you to ruin this beautiful watch.

13. ulackfocus Sep 16, 2016

NO NO NO!!!!! Do NOT replace the dial!!!!! That was the dial your dad had, it should be the dial you have, and is supposed to be the dial your son will have!

14. Kja Sep 16, 2016

You can keep it running by just servicing it by a good watchmaker, you don't need to send it to omega for that.

Spacefruit and Foo2rama like this.
  15. grizzlycanuck Sep 16, 2016

This pains me to see in real time happening, please please listen to everyone here, do not get it serviced by Omega, get it back STAT!!!!

16. Clibka Sep 16, 2016

The reason why you would be getting "flack" from everyone is because letting them replace original parts removes the essence of the watch in its entirety. There is no longer the "soul" of your father living in it, I know his sounds far fetched but think of it this way ... he probably never looked down and gleaned information or admired the lugs ... his focus was on the dial. If you want a daily wearer that you can pass down in 40 years then buy a modern speedmaster and start your own story. Replacing the dial RUINS it and makes it exactly like a modern speedie. If you cannot afford a new one I am sure someone here will pay a pretty penny for your fathers and you can snag a new one.

wazzamatelot likes this.
  17. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Sep 16, 2016

or two.

Watindes and Clibka like this.
  18. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Sep 16, 2016

The case and the dial are the watch. If your Dad had a mustang and gave it to you the engine is not what you keep.

This is a very uncommon watch with a wonderful patina on the dial. If you want a new case and dial the caseback will be worth next to nothing without that dial.

Please get it back and have someone else do a tuneup replace the crystal and source a correct Chrono hand. Or leave the incorrect Chrono hand on it. You will regret replacing that dial.

Banner Roar and JimInOz like this.
  19. Steve88M3 Sep 17, 2016

Hi Matt - ultimately, it is your watch. I was in a similar situation because I had a hard time identifying a local watchmaker I could trust. The idea of a factory service had appeal though, but even the mention of it around here brings out the howls of the partisans. Ultimately I decided to avoid the Bienne route, not because of what anyone on here said, but because I want to know the person touching my watches.

If you are content with the watch being returned to you looking substantially different from how it left your hands and if you are happy with the chance that you will never get your parts back - then by all means go for the factory service. If you have no intention to ever sell then don't give it a second thought. Wear it in health no matter what you choose!

However, as some of the helpful members have said, the best bet is to find a trusted watchmaker who can care for the watch in a way that allows you to wear it as you like without giving you a headache at any point down the line.

Good luck.

20. Mirey Oct 19, 2016

Hello all,

Again, thanks for all the input, it was really appreciated. After some of the feedback, I contacted the Omega service center in Culver City, CA to confirm what I did and did not want. In the end the dial was replace (not sure why), along with various internals, the crystal, hands, crown and "buttons". All original parts where returned and they were able to restore the original case even though there was corrosion. The bezel clean up is amazing, I had to pull out the magnifying glass to confirm they did not replace it.

It passed all tests to factory specs but because of the case, Omega would not warranty the water resistance aspect. I may return the original dial back to the watch, it looks almost new.

In the end I am very satisfied with the outcome and look forward to many years of use. I will post a few more pictures once the strap I ordered comes in.

IMG_0336.JPG
    IMG_0454.JPG
    IMG_0339.JPG
    IMG_0460.JPG
    IMG_0342.JPG
    IMG_0459.JPG
    IMG_0458.JPG
    IMG_0455.JPG
    IMG_0456.JPG
    IMG_0461.JPG