Forums Latest Members

A Lemania mystery chronograph. Speculations welcome!

1. Northernman Lemaniac Dec 17, 2013

I recently picked up a very nice Lemania. Some kind of military prototype or something. Similar to the RAF models (Omegas) but with a hacking caliber 2221 like the Canadian air force watches. Bought on auction in the UK at very reasonable money
    The awkward thing is that this model was normally only sold to military forces, but on mine the inner markings of the caseback has been removed (Omega logo normally), and the outside is blank (normally always marked with issue/contract numbers). Also the dial is pristine and unrestored, but there are no military symbols like seen on all the other ones out there. A real mystery to me!

My watchmaker is very clear that he do not believe it is a "franken" as everything appears to be untouched.

Notice that there is no caliber marks on the movement, only the (Lemania) serial number dating it to about 1961.
    There where two versions of this movement. The 2220 was used by RAF and Royal Navy, but that was not hacking. Mine is, and hence it is a caliber 2221. As far as I can work out the 2221 has only been used in Canadian issued watches. The case of my watch is also like the Canadian watches. BUT: All the Canadian caliber 2221 watches was marked with Omega / 17 jewels / caliber number. Mine is blank! My watchmaker also confirms that the there are no signs that the bridges have been ground/polished or in other ways modified (observed in microscope).
    Any theories out there?

Mine are:

The first theory that came to mind was that of a “Franken” watch. Someone have taken different parts and created my watch. However there are several arguments against it:
    • Why “Franken” an Omega into a Lemania? The value will be much less.
    • Why remove the inscriptions of the inside of the case back? Omega is more worth than Lemania in the market.
    • Why replace the bridges with blank bridges (where could they even find non marked bridges?). The normal marking by Omega would be too deep to grind of without being clearly visible.
    • How on earth did it surface in the UK, when all the 2221 Omega ones ended up in Canada?
    • And: Why sell it to me (on auction) for so little money?

My favored theory (which may be hard to prove) is that this is a Lemania test sample/prototype that has been made as a one (or few) off.
    It makes sense since this will be a logical explanation on several issues:
    • Lemania would use a blank, and unmarked, movement. I do not see others having access to this?
    • They would use case parts available (and these would have been marked Omega), and simply remove the logo in order to not insult their sister company.
    • They already had the Lemania dial.
    • The model is identical to other British military designs, except that the case style is slightly different (no crown and pusher protection), and the movement is hacking.
    • It surfaced in the UK, not on a watch specialty sale, but on a home interior auction(!).
    I found a link to an article on a similar (Omega branded) model from Canada. Notice the serial number on this watch movement. It is 2 numbers away from mine!

IMG_4336.JPG IMG_4338.JPG IMG_4339.JPG IMG_4333.JPG
    IMG_4332.JPG IMG_4334.JPG IMG_4344.jpg

2. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Dec 17, 2013

leftover watches after fulfilling military contract, configured for sale to the public?

Regardless, very nice pickup, with a lovely, rich shade of aging on the lume.

Northernman likes this.
  3. Northernman Lemaniac Dec 18, 2013

Could very well be!
    But would a non-marked case and case back be according to the Swiss rules? I kind of suspects that the Swiss would require some kind of marking within the case if to be sold to the public? At least I have never seen a Swiss watch without a makers ID or some kind of marks?
    At least if the watch was created by "left overs" for sale to the general public I would expect that it was marked also internally?

I guess we will never know.

Just can't wait for it to come back from the watchmaker. It will get some fresh oil before I put it into service:D !

J-Luc and diamondjim like this.