Forums Latest Members

A late self introductory post

1. jimmyd13 Oct 19, 2016

Hi folks.

I find myself "working from home" today and reading various watch related sites, so I thought I'd take a moment to post a little introductory type thread, even though I've been here for more than a few weeks, and a question I've not seen yet.

I've had a thing for watches for as long as I can remember. My Dad had a love of long case clocks that I sort of appreciated as a kid but never really got into, preferring to be able to wear my timepieces rather than just wind and listen to them tick.

Over the last three years or so, I've been a regular at bricks and mortar auctions, first locally and then around the UK initially buying on aesthetics I've found myself gravitating towards vintage Omegas.

My "beater", though I dislike that word and should probably say my daily wearer is a 1972 Mk II in totally original condition with just enough marks and scratches to make it "mine". Looking at it a few moments ago, I remembered how I bought it. I'd been in an auction battle for a "Jedi" getting more and more frustrated as every bid I put in was immediately countered. I was sitting on a concrete wall, on site, with my tablet in hand bidding against someone in the room. When we reached £1500, I swore and stopped. (I think I'd been swearing a bit before then too). In frustration, I just threw a bid at the next lot - this Mk II - and burst out laughing when I won it for £560 at the hammer.

So, the question: what's been your favourite "accidental" purchase over the years?

Here's that Mk II: IMAG0445.jpg

Ree, ahartfie, Jwit and 4 others like this.
  2. meganfox17 Oct 19, 2016

All my " accidental " purchases were painful regretful memories...

3. jimmyd13 Oct 19, 2016

You shouldn't regret any memory that didn't leave you coming to miles from home with no memory of how you got there ... or so I'm told.

meganfox17 likes this.