Forums Latest Members
  1. philgund Oct 14, 2015

This company is calling itself Klokers and is trying to change things up. The information is limited on the movement, but wanted to share in case someone found it interesting. They are trying to do some interesting dial designs, with the combined use of a micro-rotor and quarts movement to support it. But the main shtick is the versatility and design for the design nerd. Either way, work checking out to at least see what people are trying to do outside the norm--at a approachable price point.

Read and watch the video here: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1221639153/watches-to-travel-through-time

upload_2015-10-14_19-26-24.png

2. SeanO Oct 15, 2015

only if your design aesthetic is 50's kitchen scales or parking meters.

3. happytapy Oct 15, 2015

Thank you for the heads up on this one. Interesting.

4. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Oct 15, 2015

Looks like they use a Ronda quartz movement in the 01 model, and a Soprod quartz movement is used in the 02. The claim to make the "best quality Swiss watches" is a bit much. Using disks that move instead of hands is really not as new as they would have you believe. It's been done for decades actually, and not necessarily on the really high end watches only as their video states.

If I was after a watch that showed time in their "revolutionary way" that's nothing really new, I would opt for a Seiko Discus Burger, which is a mechanical watch to boot!

One sold here last year:

https://omegaforums.net/threads/rar...ing-design-series-scbs007-complete-set.10834/

Cheers, Al

5. timeismoney Oct 15, 2015

I appreciate the aesthetic and applaud their afford, these are two of the nicer looking watches that are on Kickstarter. IMHO.

philgund likes this.
  6. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Oct 15, 2015

I agree that at least they are not going to the same Chinese factory everyone else appears to be going to, and just putting a different logo on the dial.

With any of these crowd funded watches, my feeling is if you like it as a fun watch and find the price reasonable, by all means get it. The claims made are certainly over the top, but at least these guys aren't making a ridiculous claim that it takes a year to make one, so I'll cut them some slack on that.

Also know that you are not likely getting something that will be supported years down the road, and consider it a throw away watch. Even if the "company" survives after they make a couple of models, I very much doubt that they will have parts for these models in a few years time.

Cheers, Al

philgund likes this.
  7. timeismoney Oct 16, 2015

I meant effort not afford in my previous post...damn auto-correct!

There was this article a while back: http://wornandwound.com/2015/09/17/on-kickstarter-the-good-the-bad-and-the-ugly/
    that generated some thoughtful comments of these Kickstarter watch projects.

As someone who came from the design field, I met a lot of designers who just spend a lot of effort on the aesthetic aspect of things and completely disregard the rest of the product cycle. Like you said, Al, most of these on Kickstarter are nothing more than a throwaway novelty item. A pity...

8. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Oct 16, 2015

I read that article - the comments were more telling than the article actually.

The author of the article does have some strange ideas though...

"having a concrete timeline is just a recipe for disaster"

Having managed large projects for a couple of decades that would make a kickstarter watch project look like a mere blip on a PERT chart, I can say that having a concrete timeline is most certainly a recipe for success. If you set out a concrete timeline without having any clue whatsoever of what you are doing, then yes the result can be disastrous, but the fault is not in having a timeline, but not knowing how to manage a project properly.

If you don't account for things customs delays, QC, and holidays, well you obviously have no clue what you are doing as a project manager.

Cheers, Al

philgund, M.D. and Thorbob like this.
  9. vinn2 Oct 17, 2015

i have seen disk hands on a watch - long time ago

10. timeismoney Oct 17, 2015

One doesn't even need to search that far back...Lip has a whole line of them. ::facepalm1::