Forums Latest Members
  1. ConElPueblo Oct 4, 2016

Since I'm currently undertaking a long army course I am allowed a few days off per week to study for the next period of course activity. Knowing that a parcel from Italy had been snaking its way up north the last week, I was hoping that the mailman would bring something along to cheer me up while I was labouring over the text books...

And today, he did :)

DSC_0226.JPG

It's an early, non-applied "Omega" Constellation ref. 2782 in stainless steel, showing a pretty even patina all around. There are some blemishes on outer perimeter of the dial (most noticable around 11-12), but overall it's in a very honest condition. The crown has been changed at one point, as I don't believe these came with the clover-style type as shown here. The movement shows no sign of altering, but is very dirty - I have no doubt that a good clean will make it like new again :)

There are several reasons why I had to pull the trigger on this one:

1) I am trying to re-focus my collection on earlier (40-early 60s) pieces.
    2) I loooooove Chronometers!
    3) I'm a complete sucker for crosshairs ::facepalm2::
    4) This one has a number of characteristics which I have been keen on acquiring for some time:
    a. It's an early, stainless steel Constellation (Have I broken the "Gold Capped Curse"?!).
    b. It's a bumper movement (cal. 354), which I haven't had in a Constellation before.
    c. Wide arrowhead markers are just gorgeous.

...And then there was the listing. It was a mess! Horrible pictures, wrong ref. no. in the text and a low price - just like I want them! Knowing how Italian sellers like to barter, and not being 100% sure of the condition/authenticity, I sent the seller an offer at a much lower price which he, to my utter surprise, accepted!

THAT'S what makes this fun! Doing your homework, doing reasoned, calculated bets on iffy listings and coming out on top, getting a watch you've missed in your collection for much less than it ought to cost - that's why I keep coming back to the old threads on here! All I needed to know was right there.

On a side note, as a "first" for me as an eBay buyer, this was actually delivered on a good quality strap on spring bars that too weren't complete rubbish. The strap was too small at 16mm, which was a welcome surprise, as it meant that I no longer have to find a black strap for my last purchase, the 1946 Tissot ::bleh::

DSC_0261.JPG

2. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Oct 4, 2016

Nice snag!

Be sure it doesn't detract from the studies. :p

ConElPueblo likes this.
  3. ConElPueblo Oct 4, 2016

Too late! :eek:

JohnSteed likes this.
  4. duc Oct 4, 2016

Congratulations. I'm doing the same for awhile. I have to hit the road for Saratoga in a while. In the meantime, I'll "work" from home.

IMG_3053.JPG
    IMG_3055.JPG

ConElPueblo likes this.
  5. Dero13 4 watches. All set to the wrong time. Oct 4, 2016

Nice pickup. I think I'll have to ads a stainless Connie to the mic sometime soon

ConElPueblo likes this.
  6. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Oct 4, 2016

Nice Connie - congrats
    You missed out the crossed Ts in the description - an added bonus !

ConElPueblo and cristos71 like this.
  7. Pahawi Oct 4, 2016

Anything to do with your profession?

Riffle Scope.jpg

:D

ConElPueblo likes this.
  8. ConElPueblo Oct 4, 2016

I remember reading something about them being uncommon, but it wasn't really on my radar :oops:

The serial number makes it extremely late 1953 or very early 1954, does that fit the bill?

It's an occupational hazard :D

9. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Oct 4, 2016

JohnSteed, Jwit, Andy K and 1 other person like this.
  10. WatchWarlock Oct 4, 2016

Beautiful! I've been wary about purchasing Omegas from overseas (particularly Eastern Europe/India), but I'm sure there are always exceptions to the rule!

11. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Oct 4, 2016

definitely got to be wary of those emerging nations - like Italy

ConElPueblo likes this.
  12. ConElPueblo Oct 4, 2016

Aha... Well, I guess I was too busy being concerned about the placement of "SWISS MADE" to notice that detail. I have had limited luck in finding similar references with wide arrowhead markers and "SWISS MADE" on either side of the 6 o'clock marker, but looking at it through a loupe (note to self: don't do this on imperfect dials, it only makes them less perfect :( ) it all looks to be in order. Certainly not a redial.

I know how you feel - I try to avoid buying from USA, too.

13. wwhntr Oct 4, 2016

Great find! Stainless case, wide arrowhead markers, and crosshairs dial are three hot buttons for me too! Only thing that could make it less common would be white gold markers and a caliber 352, but I would settle for gold with a caliber 354 any day!

His cousin says "Hi"! 2782, textured dial, wide arrowhead markers, housing a caliber 352. I really like the early Constellation bumper references!
    image.jpeg

GregH, ahartfie and ConElPueblo like this.
  14. ConElPueblo Oct 4, 2016

Textured dial and cal. 352 are the two hot items that continue to elude me (the third item would be a black dial and the fourth a cheap, solid gold model!)... Yours look fantastic :thumbsup:

15. wwhntr Oct 4, 2016

Thanks! Original black dials seem far and few between. "Cheap" solid gold may be an oxymoron unless you just get lucky. I owned this 14k 2652, textured dial with a caliber 354 for a short time. It was as clean and sharp as I've seen, but solid gold gets almost no wrist time for me.
    image.jpeg image.jpeg

16. ConElPueblo Oct 5, 2016

Another great model! :thumbsup:

My point about "cheap" is only that I could go to a dealer/eBay at pretty much all time and pick up a solid gold Constellation, but that would be expensive and take out all the fun of the purchase. I would only pay market value if it was something really special - like a textured, black dial i very good condition ;)