Forums Latest Members
  1. NOTSHARP Jan 15, 2018

I have, today, received some quite poor photographs, of my recently inherited watch. It is sitting five hundred miles away, awaiting a clean/service, so no further information is available, as yet.

The watch was presented to my wife's grandfather in 1959, when he completed forty years service with his employer. The back of the watch is engraved to that effect.

When he died, in 1971, the watch passed to my wife's father, who died just over a year ago. Now, entrusted to me, I become its third custodian.
    Due to both previous owners having manual jobs, I would guess that the watch was worn very little. High days, and holidays, as we say.

I do know that my father - in - law had the strap replaced, hence no original buckle. My plan is to identify, and try and source, an original, period correct buckle, then fit a nice alligator, or lizard skin, strap.

The crown is signed, by the way. As can be seen, the dial has some discoloration, which I am happy to live with. The hands are blued steel. I am puzzled by the heavy line on the sub dial, between 45-60 seconds. My gut feeling is that the second hand my have caused it at some time.

I did wear it for a short period, and it kept excellent time, loosing about a minute over ten days, so I am optimistic that there is not a great deal wrong with it.

I feel honoured that this is now in my care, and hope to pass it on to my son in due course.

Now for those poor pics.

OMEGA 1.png OMEGA 2.png OMEGA 4.png

Steve.

2. Vitezi Jan 15, 2018

In the world of vintage watches, there is nothing better than an heirloom watch. Make sure your watchmaker is used to working with vintage watches, and ask for a "clean, oil and adjust" service of the movement. Keep the crown if you can. A light cleaning of the case by hand is all you need, and perhaps a polishing of the crystal to remove any surface scratches. Then a new soft strap and your watch will be ready for the next generation.

NOTSHARP likes this.
  3. Pjotr1 Jan 15, 2018

That is lovely! You are lucky to inherit a watch with such history. Enjoy it :).

NOTSHARP likes this.
  4. 77deluxe Jan 15, 2018

Thanks for posting. Enjoy it, but please don’t polish it.

NOTSHARP likes this.
  5. cristos71 Jan 15, 2018

The case looks to be in excellet shape, lovely facets on the lugs and bezel.

Really, don't let anyone talk you into ' a light polish ' just have the case ultra sonically cleaned and given a once over with a soft cloth whilst the movement is being serviced by a watchmaker with vintage Omega experience.

If you give your location I'm sure someone here can give you a good recommendation for a good WM

NOTSHARP likes this.
  6. fjf Jan 15, 2018

VERY nice!. Take good care of it and pass it to the fourth generation!!.

NOTSHARP likes this.
  7. Seaborg Jan 15, 2018

It's now your turn to enjoy this old lady.

Keep it in good health and wear it with pride (after service) :)

Cheers.

NOTSHARP likes this.
  8. NOTSHARP Jan 15, 2018

The watchmaker that will be working on it, is well versed in vintage watches. He is now about seventy years old, and watchmaking has been his profession for all of his adult life.
    He knows that I want to retain the watch as it is, other than a clean and oil.

I have to say that it was through my being given this, that I found this wonderful forum. I have spent many hours, reaping the benefit of the many knowledgeable people here, and I thank you all.

Steve.

9. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Jan 15, 2018

Great watch and a reminder of your ancestors. It's not only PP watches that "aren't owned, merely taken care of for the next generation".

Get your watchmaker to check the sub seconds pinion to see if it's bent. This usually causes the mark on the sub seconds dial as the hand is not rotation in a level plane but a tilted one.

Cheers

Jim

NOTSHARP likes this.