Forums Latest Members

A game of.. “Spot the difference”

1. SCUCIVOLO Jun 2, 2019

Last night, while at work I was wearing my Seamaster 511.13.40.20.03.001

As always.. this colleague of mine, who really likes the watch.. makes a comment on the dial, and how beautiful it is and etc. etc.

He really likes watches, and he would like to get one, but he’s “scared” by the number of brands, models, complications and mostly by his inability to make an educated choice.

Not very helpful as I am, I say.. take for instance my Seamaster, what do you like about it?

I like it all (not helping himself).. proportions, style, the colour and the dial.. especially the dial..

Good, I say.. let’s start a search based on that!

So, we browse the internet, and my intent was to show him, smoked and/or lacquered dial watches at different price points..

First one I showed him was the Seiko
    E70EC840-598F-4BE0-9F72-6A7BDF5FB50E.jpeg

Followed by the Zenith..
    8F903AAC-73AD-485E-B721-DF6C9BC47370.jpeg

He didn’t looked intrigued at all by neither.. so I thought i up the game a little bit.

And showed him a H.Moser&Cie Pioneer!

Beautiful watch, one that I haven’t looked at, in a long time..
    D1369456-8C54-48BA-B256-20DDB813A71D.jpeg
    And that’s when it struck me...

This particular model has share many similarities to my Seamaster..
    7E9BDEF5-0A82-47F1-BA1C-CA1AD95F5913.jpeg

many more than I remembered.. the colour (obviously), the hands, the markers (in some way) and so on..

What I couldn’t help notice though, is that the Pioneer comes on a rubber strap.. and again, it looks good with it.

So here’s the connection to the title.. can you “spot” the design difference, between the Moser and the Seamaster? That differences which makes the Pioneer able to look good on a rubber while, I think, the Seamaster would look terrible.

I hope you can read past my broken English..

Have a good Sunday, everyone
    Cheerio
    Claudio

superfly and Foo2rama like this.
  2. KeithS Jun 2, 2019

Interesting comparison. I find that the Omega has thinner, more tapered hands and hour markers that lack prominent lume; its lugs look more refined; and it has a rather ornate crown––all of these place the Omega more in the "dress watch" category, in my opinion at least, and necessitate a leather strap. The H. Moser & Cie, in a slight contrast, has thicker hands with lume and chunkier lugs that maybe give it a slightly sportier look that can accommodate a rubber strap.

superfly likes this.
  3. michael22 Jun 2, 2019

The Moser case doesn't look sharp, but has a thin elegant bezel. I don't think anything looks good on rubber, pictures lie.

4. SCUCIVOLO Jun 5, 2019

I agree with you 100%, although they look fairly similar, the chunkier case and lumed hands of the Moser, allows it to be more "versatile" but less elegant and "striking". I guess they're very similar, alas very different too..