Forums Latest Members

A frank review of the Mido Commander 7750 based chronograph.

1. citizenrich Metal Mixer! Mar 26, 2015

I've not ever recommended a specific watch for purchase to anyone for any reason. Watches are pretty personal and I'm a lousy salesman. If you're not looking for a new watch, you can stop here.

About 3 months ago, I had to lend a helping hand to one of my security officers for a forced ejection of (2) unruly guests. My place is very upscale and we have a soft crowd. Unfortunately, I got stuck with the tougher of the (2), and he decided to be a bit squirrelly. I'm a big guy and I'm very experienced with physicality and brute and blunt force. I don't like to put my hands on anyone but when I do, you know it.

Somewhere along the way towards the door, the clasp on my Rolex Submariner twisted and snapped. Thankfully, the watch stayed on my wrist. I took the watch to Rolex in midtown and by the time I was done (COA, bezel insert, repair), I was out 750 bucks. This is not the first time this particular watch was damaged in the same general manner.

So, I decided I would get a new "work watch". A positive locking mechanism would be first priority. Second concern was cost and lastly, design and style.

All-steel made the most sense. I narrowed in and focused on Sinn but then I stumbled upon a Mido. I already had a vintage Mido, so I knew what I was getting involved with. The Commander retails for 5 grand but the watch is almost exclusively gray market and I'm fairly certain no sane person has ever spent more than $1600 for a new one. I had recently purchased a 1970's Mido 7750 from our friend Alex in Mexico City (I'd bet most of the active members here have bought at least (1) watch from Alex), for $400. I really like the '70's Mido which probably influenced my purchase decision for a newer one. She's a terrific watch and I would love to wear it each day but it's a little too clunky for cuffs and a wee bit too casual for a "work watch". The watch came on a black NATO which further leans towards casual. I've attached a few photos for your perusal.

The person who sold me the new watch is an engineer from Alabama and a very funny guy. He listed the watch on Ebay for $1200 and wrote in his listing that if he didn't get any honest offers, he'd give the watch to his brother-in-law as a Christmas gift because "I don't like my brother-in-law". The watch had recently been treated to a full service from a shop in LA that I'm familiar with. Good sign. The seller kept every single bit of every single piece of anything which came with the watch including a nice complimentary Mido branded display stand.

So, two nights before Christmas, I sent him an offer for $600 assuming he would counter me at $900, unless I insulted him as a low-baller and then I would not hear from him at all. A few hours later he accepted my offer with no counter and the watch was Fed-ex'd to my door the day after Xmas.

The clasp design for this watch is a double locking mechanism which in my opinion is the most practical and surest locking design for any metal bracelet.
    When the lock engages it makes a loud, positive and firm clicking sound. This watch is perfectly balanced and sits well on my wrist.

I've since learned that Mido has a good reputation for utility. According to Swatch Group, Mido was the first wristwatch with a true monoquoc case (can that be true??) design with the trade name "Aquadura". I've learned over the years that many dubious claims are made by every watch house.

From wiki: In 1970 Mido launched the Aquadura Crown Sealing system, an innovation that gained reputation as the king of water-resistant watches. The Aquadura crown sealing technique makes use of an all-natural cork which is handled and formed to insure its water resistant qualities. This technique is utilized to seal the crown, the most susceptible place on a watch to water leakage.

Frankly, I'd never go swimming with any mechanical chronograph but Swatch says it's fine to go surfing with this watch.
    I'll defer this luxury to someone else who doesn't have to worry about money, because that someone ain't me.

The watch I have keeps almost perfect time (Twixt says she lost 7 seconds in 3 days - not too shabby!). Mido did an almost perfect job with the dial layout. 7750's can be a little awkward and unbalanced to the eye but this is probably the easiest to read chronograph, period. The matte black dial and the highly polished indices and dial furniture is perfectly executed. Among the best I've seen.

The watch has a small engraving on the back which reads: 1991 / 2001

At first I thought it was for a limited edition but it turns out it's just a random personal engraving. Curious. Mysterious.

If you've gotten this far I must congratulate you for having more patience than I would ever have. Being generally lazy and unmotivated, I normally would never review or offer information on...er.,..anything?

So, thanks for reading and if you're looking for a hot little watch you can wear anywhere with anything at anytime (Surfing!!)

@ 600 bucks, I enthusiastically recommend the Mido Commander.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg
    Edited Mar 26, 2015
  2. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 26, 2015

Mmm, I thought your name was Rich::confused2::

citizenrich and STANDY like this.
  3. citizenrich Metal Mixer! Mar 26, 2015

I haven't the slightest idea why I randomly capitalized "Frank". Best guess is that I started out wanting to capitalize each word in the title and gave up by word number 3. I did discuss my general laziness somewhere in my review :)

Can you help a brother out and fix it for me? Thanks! (either way).

4. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 26, 2015

Or some sneaky moderator changed it on you :D

PS, you have the power to change it .:rolleyes:

citizenrich likes this.
  5. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Mar 26, 2015

the L5100/O1045 is pretty readable as well - though i haven't worn a 7750 myself. the sweep chrono minute hand is unbeatable in terms of readability.

great write up @citizenrich! thank you!

citizenrich likes this.
  6. ulackfocus Mar 26, 2015

Is that a comment on the title having "Frank" in it or is it a joke about his financial state after he said "I'll defer this luxury to someone else who doesn't have to worry about money, because that someone ain't me" in his review? :p

citizenrich likes this.
  7. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 26, 2015

Frankly my dear, I don't give a damn.;)

citizenrich likes this.
  8. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Mar 26, 2015

Nice one :thumbsup:

DIBS :)

citizenrich likes this.
  9. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Mar 26, 2015

citizenrich likes this.
  10. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Mar 26, 2015

I think you will get many desirable watches if you ask this guy as your negotiator........

citizenrich likes this.
  11. citizenrich Metal Mixer! Mar 26, 2015

Ugh, I can be such a ditz

lol