Forums Latest Members

A few questions about an Omega women's vintage watch

1. OmegaMan123 May 27, 2017

Hi all-

We recently got married and my grandmother gifted my wife an Omega watch she got for her retirement in 1975 from her employer 'RT Skopje' (you will see it in inscribed in Cyrillic, but it stands for Radio Television Skopje - Macedonia; communists gave great gifts in their heyday). The watch has been in its box and not been worn since at least the early 90s.

Anyway, its a family keepsake, we have no interest in selling, but would like to have an understanding of:
    -What model it is?
    -What kind of service does it require?
    -Can we let any watchmaker open it up and service it or is there a specific one I need to go to? Is there anything finicky on it? Is there a part or component in this particular series that needs special attention?
    -Do replacement parts generally exist for watches from this series? Are they hard to find?

We've taken a few pictures of it with an iphone. We think we got all the inscriptions, markings, other relevant angles in the pics, but let us know if we are missing anything. Also let us know if the pics don't make it up, since its our first time posting.

Any light you can shine on our questions, or anything we've missed would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance.

-I&K

IMG_5015.JPG IMG_5016.JPG IMG_5017.JPG IMG_5018.JPG IMG_5019.JPG IMG_5020.JPG IMG_5021.JPG

2. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member May 27, 2017

You really need to get this to a watchmaker and have the back removed. The information needed to make a positive ID is located inside the caseback and on the movement.

I've taken my best guess. Looks like this one:

https://www.omegawatches.com/planet-omega/heritage/vintage-details/15199/

However, could be totally wrong. The metal bracelets were frequently extra cost options on these watches.

Any competent watchmaker with experience fixing. I gave Omega watches should be able to give it a good cleaning and lubrication. Parts should be available, but we really can't answer that question properly until we know which watch we are discussing.

Hope this helps,
    gatorcpa

3. Canuck May 27, 2017

The bracelet is a gold plated after market type. The watch did not leave Omega with that bracelet on it. Unless there is a lot of sentimental value in the bracelet, there are alternate choices that (IMO) would suit the watch better.

4. OmegaMan123 May 27, 2017

Thanks, Gator. We will take it in to get it serviced and I'll ask the watchmaker to snap a few pictures of it once its open.

Canuck, thanks for the heads up. Wife says she wants to keep it this way. Whats the native/standard/best-looking-in-your-opinion bracelet for this watch?

5. Canuck May 27, 2017

That watch was likely originally sold circa 1975, as per the engraved back. But that Geneva model had been in the Omega line for many years at that time. It was most likely sold with a leather strap on it. On yellow colour watches with black hands and numerals, my preference would be for a black strap. But brown might work as well.

6. OmegaMan123 May 30, 2017

Thank you Canuck. I will look around for a black strap.

Gator, you were right on identifying the model. Pics below.

IMG_5022.JPG IMG_5023.JPG

7. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member May 30, 2017

I wish I could see the case reference number.

But I'll take your word for it.
    gatorcpa