Forums Latest Members

A few Newb JLC Memovox Questions

1. x3no Apr 17, 2015

Hey guys, while waiting for my Zaf Basha JLC book to get here, I figured I'd crowd source some of this since I'm not easily finding it on the internet.

1) Is there a place to lookup ref #'s for the Memovox's to learn more details?
    2) Before I break it, I'd like to know how to set the date on this thing? My date wheel only turns to a new day when I manually turn the hours hands enough to get past 12, etc.
    3) Suggestions on a dressy leather strap to put on it, I'm eventually taking the GF bracelet off and maybe selling or keeping from getting damaged, since they're so rare on these.

Thanks for the input, oh and here's the newly acquired watch which arrived... today in fact :) (Sorry for the bad photos and dust on the crystal.. still trying to master that art.. errrr)

IMG_3483.JPG IMG_3484.JPG IMG_3486.JPG

Allant likes this.
  2. ulackfocus Apr 17, 2015

Yep, you have to keep rotating the hands forward to advance the date. You might be able to rock them - go past 1 AM then back to 9 PM, then past 1 AM, etc. This might damage the mechanism though - not sure with this watch as I don't own one anymore.

x3no likes this.
  3. lenny Apr 17, 2015

The manual date is a pain - I don't bother changing it anymore. The Basha book covers all of the key models that JLC released up to the 70s or so. Other than that, Google different models and you'll find more info.

There's a guy on the JLC watchprosite who has a large number of vintage memovox(i?) there, I think his username is Blonman.

4. x3no Apr 17, 2015

Awesome, good to know thanks. I'll try to find him, or just stick it out and wait till Basha book comes in. Either way the watch is fantastic and its my first vintage dress watch I've bought.. Amazing how well kept it is, to be 50+ yrs old.

Thanks for the input.

5. lenny Apr 17, 2015

6. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Apr 17, 2015

@x3no The caliber 825 is a "semi-quickset". Not a lot better honestly, than a non-quickset.

Rotate the hands clockwise until the date changes. Continue the hands past 2:30/3:00 (it's not exact on all watches. Then reverse the hands....slowly please...back to 9:30/9:00. Then go clockwise again, and the date should advance. Repeat as needed.

Top crown winds the alarm. Pull it out to set the alarm time, then push it back it. Watch will ring at set time! It is quite a loud buzz.

Bottom crown winds the watch. It's an automatic, so it won't ever stop winding. I give mine 30 or so winds and good to go.

This reference was discontinued in 1969.

x3no likes this.
  7. x3no Apr 17, 2015

@Darlinboy thanks for the info! I've tried the alarm, and its pretty amazing the buzzing sound it makes. It's methodical and not annoying.

I'll try that with setting the date, but probably will just leave it alone for now.

It's an auto, awesome! I thought it might be a manual wind, but it winds itself on movement--sweet!

Is there any way I can tell the actual year this one was produced? Either by combining movement #'s and case #?

8. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Apr 17, 2015

Edited Apr 18, 2015
  9. x3no Apr 17, 2015

@Darlinboy Great, thanks for that link. Going there and posting now. My case-back serial is 1,148,030

Yup you were 100% clear, I gotcha!

10. ulackfocus Apr 17, 2015

You really need the movement serial number, but if it matches or is even close that would put it around late 1961 or early 1962.

So I sell a few watches, and now I get no respect! (check the very first reply to your original post)

x3no and Darlinboy like this.
  11. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Apr 17, 2015

Definitely want one of these! Seems so hard to find one in good condition!

12. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Apr 18, 2015

I suspect it may have been your um.. confidence inspiring instructions that gave pause. :p

"This might damage the mechanism though - not sure with this watch as I don't own one anymore."

13. x3no Apr 18, 2015

LOL I did not mean any disrespect, I have the most respect for you and everyone else at this forum. You guys are the best. If I send a few bottles of aged Cabernet would that make it better? :p

14. ulackfocus Apr 18, 2015

No worries - I was just busting your stones. :D

Who here would say no to alcohol? ::psy::

15. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Apr 18, 2015

The date is a pain - even my modern Master Compressor Memovox is the same way:

[​IMG]

I keep it on a winder because of this...

x3no likes this.
  16. x3no Apr 18, 2015

Wait, are you Dennis, the one that loves and collects Wine, or is that someone else? I'm still trying to get to know everyone here on a first name basis ;)

Beautiful Compressor, nice background too. Yea I'm not worried about the date anymore.. I'll either do the hack to get the date right, and then keep it wound if I can.. or just let the date roll back around before I set it again. Either way it won't stop me from enjoying this watch!

17. ulackfocus Apr 18, 2015

Yes, that's me. cheers.gif

x3no likes this.
  18. adam78 Adam @ ΩF Staff Member Apr 18, 2015

Personally I think the semi-quickset dates are much better than slow-set ones. the late-50s to mid-60s Omegas work the same way, as do new Nomos watches with date. Still, true quickset is preferable, 'natch. The other day I had to advance my Rolex 1625 Turnograph (cal. 1565) by only half a month, and I got a callus on the edges of my index finger and thumb...I'm one of those OCD types who have to wear a watch with the correct date.

Edited Apr 18, 2015