Forums Latest Members
  1. irishwristwatch Jun 9, 2014

I have a Constellation Pie Pan, caliber 505, which is all original. It has two issues: when you pull out the crown to set it, it often comes out further than it should, where you can see a thinner post inside the larger one. It takes some fiddling to get this back inside properly. Also, it exhibits a knocking/rattling sound when it is moved around. I have owned two Constellations from this era and neither makes the same sound. Does anyone have any ideas? 1.JPG 2.JPG

2. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Jun 9, 2014

If you haven't had it done, that movement looks like it is craving a servicing!

3. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Jun 9, 2014

Issue number one is likely a worn set lever and or stem.

Issue number two is likely a worn/broken axle for the winding rotor.

Both can be fixed as part of a service.

4. irishwristwatch Jun 10, 2014

Thanks for the responses. I sent the watch pictured to the left for servicing with Omega before and they quoted me $1025 for a service (which upon further research is a full overhaul). If the watch above also needs a service this will get quite expensive. Does anyone know (recommend, rather) any shops in the NYC or Connecticut area who will service these watches at a lower cost?

5. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jun 10, 2014

Yea mate you have to use an independent, if we all paid $1k per service for time only Omegas we'd all be even more broke.

6. lenny Jun 10, 2014

Greater than 1k - that's more than they charge for a full flightmaster refurb! Try Grand Central watch in Grand Central station. Should be much cheaper. I keep putting off going there, but they do have very good reviews.

7. irishwristwatch Jun 30, 2014

I contacted Grand Central watch and they quoted me *at least* $600 for a full service for this watch. Is that what I should expect? Are there any other places that anyone can recommend for a less expensive service? I can certainly mail the watch, it doesn't have to be somewhere local. Thank you!

8. scotty Jun 30, 2014

Find your local vintage watch / jewellers. I'm betting they all can do it. There are two local places here run by chinese jewellers, $150 to $250 for a service and the high end vintage jewellery store that will charge $250 to $500 depending on any replacement parts. Having a local guy you can talk to and look at his work (and watches) is your best bet. On top of that, you might be able to pick up a good deal on another watch at the same time! ;)