Forums Latest Members

A few hours out shopping...always time for watches!

1. Maximus84 Mar 2, 2016

Spent a few hours mooching around Meadowhall shopping centre today and had to make sure I went in the various AD's to pick out a few watches of interest.

Since acquiring my Speedy Pro about a year and a half ago, I've done a lot of looking at other watches that can enhance my burgeoning collection. I received a Seiko SKX009 for Xmas last year, and it has been an excellent addition. Bulletproof (great for playing with my toddler) and excellent for the water. That, for now, has scratched the Diver's itch. Still looking for something a bit higher up the price bracket though. First up, from Tudor...

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Always liked the Pelagos, and wanted to see the blue one in person but alas, none in stock. Apparently they'd sold 2 of them already this week! A lovely watch, very utilitarian but excellent as a tool watch. Still want to see the blue, but probably a bit big for me. The Black Bay Red. Saw this on a colleague (on leather) a while ago and was surprised at how much I liked it. Nice, but didn't quite gel second time around.

I think I might leave the Dive watch category for a while. A dressier watch would be nice. Blue AT vs Rolex OP
    image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Quite like this Rolex. Dial is beatiful, it's classy, but not sure on the cyclops. Love the AT. Skyfall would be my choice though, not a fan of the PCL's. Don't really have a need for a dressier watch at the moment though. Another chrono?
    image.jpeg
    image.jpeg image.jpeg
    The Sedna DSOTM. The gold really pops against the dial, and considering I'm not really a fan of gold watches, I liked this (just enough gold for me). Too big for my wrists though. The new deployant is excellent. Zenith. Had to try in the El Primero. Liked the detail in the dial, but it just didn't sing to me for some reason. I already have one of the best Chronos ever made! ;-)

What I really would like however, is a GMT. I'm soon to be moving from the UK to the US (Pacific time) but my work will run off GMT, and of course my friends and family would be here still. Couldn't try on a ceramic GMT Master II but I think the older version would suit me better
    image.jpeg image.jpeg

Liking this a lot, although I'd prefer to move away from a black dial, and is potentially a bit out of reach for the moment.

I've been looking at the Great White recently. A lot. Really wish I knew where I could see one and try it on for size etc but alas, not yet. I did however see a Explorer II 16570 today and thought I'd have a look. I was very pleasantly surprised. It had never been on my radar before now but I think the 39mm case and more 'restrained' dial suit me quite well.
    image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg
    I think I've narrowed it down to between these two (GW vs ExpII). I love the sword hands and bracelet of the GW, but I haven't seen one live, and they're reasonably rare. There are, however about half the price of the Rolex. The Rolex has a great dial, excellent (from what I understand) movement and is a somewhat less obvious choice for what would be my first Rolex. Not has keen on the bracelet/clasp however, and it is way more expensive.

Anyway, just putting my thoughts down 'on paper', as it were. I hope you enjoy the photos and encore any comments you may have!

ConElPueblo likes this.
  2. 1685 Mar 2, 2016

Fun post and I enjoyed the pics. From your final two, for now, I'd go with the GW. She does has a hefty presence on the wrist and is a bit of a cuff challenge. I usually only wear it with short sleeves, which fortunately is he majority of the year.

File photo
    image.jpeg

3. Maximus84 Mar 3, 2016

Thanks for the input. Do you happen to know how the size compares to a Speedy Pro, for example? I expect it to wear a little larger. I could probably pull off slightly larger (in both diameter and height) but not too much. I think the reduced size (and the fact I could actually put one on my wrist) is what pulled me in the direction of the Exp.II.

Incidentally, where I'm moving to will be pretty warm all year round, so no issue tucking under a cuff!

4. NT931 Mar 3, 2016

the GW, though 41mm, wears similar to a Speedy Pro (42mm). In fact, it wears slightly bigger as it sits taller on the wrist and somehow feels chunkier.

I'd go for the GMT II though - it's just about right on the wrist.

Maximus84 likes this.
  5. demollo Mar 3, 2016

I think the AT and Rolex OP look best on your wrist and rolex exp II. What do you think about rolex Exp I ? really cool watch and versatile.

Maximus84 likes this.
  6. chunkythebulldog Mar 3, 2016

Zenith looks to sit too big on your wrists with Rolex Datejust sitting too small.
    I'd go Tudor Black Bay but Black instead of Red, definitely going to be my next purchase.

Maximus84 likes this.
  7. terryb111 Mar 3, 2016

Id say AT or the Rolex DJ. I have both so I guess I WOULD say that wouldn't I. That said i am keen on Zenith but they look rather large.

8. Maximus84 Mar 3, 2016

I do like the Exp I, it's a classic watch. Doesn't have any complications I desire though. I can live without a date (none on the Speedy) but I'd really like the GMT complication as I think I'll find it very useful.

Chunky, I agree, the Zenith looked massive, but I had to give it a go! I quite like the red bezel on the Black bay, I think it complements gold on the dial nicely.

9. Benolio Mar 4, 2016

I hanker after a Datejust, fluted bezel rhodium starburst dial, and those crazy lumed 'lilac' numerals. Only down side when I tried it on was the clasp. A lovely piece of engineering, but so small.

Not that that would put me off if anyone wants to donate to the collection. No new additions planned after the AT GMT arrived.

Enjoy the selection process, its half of the fun! Although you really have your work cut out choosing from some of those!

10. al128 unsolicited co-moderation giverer Mar 4, 2016

am i the only one who finds the bezel of the GW clownish, esp. the font? kindalike sans comics weired.?

11. al128 unsolicited co-moderation giverer Mar 4, 2016

i guess you'll want teh Rolex 116000 (google that) in blue... slightly bigger than the date but w/out datecyclop

12. al128 unsolicited co-moderation giverer Mar 4, 2016

just watch out - the older model black bay have a 2824 movement, while not bad per se, also to be found in $200 tissots and hamiltons... so not really a big step up from the seiko (well, pricewise it is :p)

13. NT931 Mar 5, 2016

Not really. Comics Sans, a typeface that has its fair share of detractors, is more cartoonlike, with rounded ends. The GW font is meant for legibility I suspect. Bold? Perhaps. But cartoonlike, no.

1685 likes this.
  14. Huus Mar 5, 2016

Between the Omega GW and the Explorer II I pick the Rolex. It doesn't show as large on the wrist and I find the bracelet very comfortable to wear. Also the all brushed finish of the bracelet appeals to me as I find it low key. The Explorer is the only watch I have still on its original bracelet and it very much likely 'll stay that way. I looked at the GW also and as I already have 2 Omega's of the sword hand series I know its size. All four but one of my Seamasters are on Omega leather or rubber as the Speedy style Omega bracelet's just don't do it for me. The fourth is on a Bond bracelet. I am getting sidetracked here a bit going on about bracelets, but when I bought my Explorer, my first Rolex, I was pleasantly surprised. I am certain there is more of Rolex to follow. Keeping an eye out for an OP 39 next.
    Regards.

15. Maximus84 Mar 5, 2016

I think the Tudors will be very much on the back runner for now, as my interests are lying in a non-black dial, smaller size and preferably with a GMT function.

Al, I think I know what you mean about the bezel on the GW. I but I think the numerals are a bit too big and thick, reducing the 'maturity' of the watch (if that makes sense) and slightly cheapening it. Just my opinion though. I love the overall spdesign, just wish the bezel was slightly different.

I must say I'm tending towards the Exp II however it may come down to what I can find and what funds are available after emigrating! I'd also love to get my hands on a GW to see if it really does song to me, but that may be a long shot.

RRMagyar likes this.
  16. 1685 Mar 5, 2016

Best of luck and safe transit with your move and happy hunting!

Maximus84 likes this.
  17. al128 unsolicited co-moderation giverer Mar 5, 2016

ok, lets settle for ugly :D

NT931 likes this.
  18. al128 unsolicited co-moderation giverer Mar 5, 2016

i totally get you ... its kindalike hard to fathom it was designed by a top notch best-in-class-worldwide design team, isnt it ? ::confused2::

19. trama Mar 5, 2016

@Maximus84 GMTs are so cool. Will you be picking one up before the move or snagging one out here on site? There is a Rollie place in Carmel (By The Sea) that I can't even let myself park near anymore...

20. NT931 Mar 6, 2016

I don't know who designed it, but I'd have to agree that as a typophile, the GW didn't do it for me and I sold mine eventually.

It was a tad too big, plus I realized there were just too many typefaces on it. Loved the wave dial though.