Forums Latest Members
  1. Erwin Oct 30, 2012

Long time lurker here and finally decided to join in. I am a watch nut and I was fortunate enough to have owned a few Omegas ( Seamasters and Constellation ). Omegas for me, is one of ( if not the best ) watches out there and enthusiasts' and collectors should/must own the brand!
    My favorite among the Omegas I've owned is the Titanium Chrono professional Seamaster but unfortunately, had to let it go to open the door for a new one. That watch is maybe the most accurate and lightest sports watch I've ever had. Not too long ago, this one unexpectedly landed in my possesion and I couldn't be happier. What bugs me is the ...dial! I've never seen a dial like this one. Squared lines in circular designed pattern in the pie pan. I've heard of "waffle dials" but this one is new to me. Sorry that my first post turned out into a question but could any of you vintage constellation experts shed some light? I love this watch as to it's uniqueness and would really appreciate to know what I have! I am not asking for values or anything, I just want to know what this dial is called!
    Thanks in advance fellas![​IMG][/IMG] Uboat 024.jpg Uboat 024.jpg Uboat 038.jpg Uboat 038.jpg

2. chiko7734 Oct 30, 2012

Hi. I have never seen a dial with that pattern but that doesn't mean anything, it could exist. Yours appears to be a redial based on the fonts of the text.

3. Erwin Oct 30, 2012

Thanks Chico. I know it could exist ( why I have it in the first place ). Not concerned whether it's rare or not but what this style of dial/pattern design is called.
    Thanks

4. ulackfocus Oct 30, 2012

The technical name for it is "redial". It isn't a pie pan either - somebody shaped the center to look like it has the 12 straight edges.

5. ulackfocus Oct 30, 2012

BTW Erwin, do you have some additional shots of the insides? It might very well otherwise be a legitimate watch.

6. Erwin Oct 30, 2012

Strange it may seem but why would someone create such a dial, then shaping it into the center to make it look like a pie pan. Then inserting the fonts and so on..( if that's what you mean ). Thanks again, fellas!

7. Erwin Oct 30, 2012

yes I do...I will upload them as soon as I can!
    connie.jpg

8. chiko7734 Oct 30, 2012

I've never seen a movement like that before. It could be a total fake or Franken.

9. Erwin Oct 30, 2012

ouch! oh well...you win some you lose some I guess! Anyway, I'm taking it to my vintage watch repair guy tomorrow to get a sec op!
    Thanks

10. kyle L Grasshopper Staff Member Oct 30, 2012

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but it looks like a replica! :(

11. Erwin Oct 30, 2012

That's ok, Kyle! Like I said, before it goes to the guillotine, I'm getting a sec op from my vintage watch guy!

12. ulackfocus Oct 30, 2012

That's not an authentic Omega by any stretch of the imagination. :(

13. Erwin Oct 30, 2012

Thanks ulackfocus, I really appreciate your help! It's not much of a loss for me if that's the case! I still have one that's been overhauled not too long ago by my vintage guy!

14. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Oct 31, 2012

Yea, Omega's movements are very distinctive in design and appearance, its one of those things where you can spot a genuine one really easily.

15. seamonster Respectable Member Oct 31, 2012

Respectable Member Erwin

Do not despair, since all of us do not mistakes, once in a while. It is always good to consult, before buying, since it appears there are more frankens and fakes floating around, relative to the factory-original ones.

Had I not consult this forum, most probably I would have landed with a franken or fake Seamaster diver model reference 166.024, some while ago. After talking to the enthusiasts and experts here, here I am still hunting around for an authentic diver watch. I reckon, it may take ages before a factory-original example appears. I think it is better to wait rather than rush in, blindly.

Thank-you.

16. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Oct 31, 2012

I overlooked this thread and just came across it this morning. To the members posting here: The original photos are very poor and dark, not showing the case and lugs well at all,....but one thing that should have stood out and tipped you off that this was a fake watch is the date surround. The sides are not chamfered and just a simple rounded rectangle. On top of that, the not Constellation shaped big Ω should have clinched it. I think everyone was focused on the dial pattern. Remember as Hoi says, you need to examine every aspect of what you see for all the clues.

17. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Oct 31, 2012

Outright fake. Doesn't matter what your watchmaker or anyone else says - doesn't change this one simple fact. If you paid anything more than $10 for this I would get my money back.

18. Erwin Oct 31, 2012

Thank you for the kind words. I agree that once in a while, we do make mistakes. And my mistake is for not joining this knowledgeable forum early enough. I do appreciate the comments posted and will definitely be more careful the next time I do a trade or purchase something in particular!

19. ulackfocus Oct 31, 2012

20. Erwin Oct 31, 2012