Forums Latest Members
  1. seamonster Respectable Member Dec 29, 2012

Respectable Members

Both are collectible vintage-watches from Omega.

If you have just enough $$ to buy one of these two watches, which of the two would you prefer and why.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-195...543&pid=100015&prg=1006&rk=2&sd=251203637568&Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

http://www.ebay.com/itm/251203637568?_trksid=p5197.c0.m619Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

Constellation 18k .JPG SM 300 165.024 .JPG

Thank-you.

2. chiko7734 Dec 29, 2012

In this case, I would pick the gold connie. That one looks very nice to my eyes.

3. ulackfocus Dec 29, 2012

IMO, the gold Constellation is already too high for it's condition and it hasn't met the reserve yet. I didn't even scrutinize it for correctness because the price eliminated it.

The SM300 is not my style, but looks better aged (with patina) than a Constellation does. I can't tell you if it's correct or original either.

In this instance, I would be neither. Knowing what a fan of the SM300 you are though, I believe you should go for that if the consensus is it's kosher.

4. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Dec 29, 2012

5. seamonster Respectable Member Dec 29, 2012

Respectable Member chiko7734

To my eyes too, that gold Connie is attractive.

Thank-you.

6. seamonster Respectable Member Dec 29, 2012

Respectable Member ulackfocus

All along, I had only owned the Seamasters and Constellations and never a diver watch.

Recently, I discovered the price of the better Seamaster and Constellation vintage-watches has gone through the roof, while that of the SM 300 is still reasonable. As a result of which, I opted for the diver watch. I managed to get a good one to fit my budget.

If I am lucky enough to get another vintage-watch in a few months' time, most likely it will be either a solid gold Seamaster or Constellation and who knows, maybe another SM 300 too. Dress or sports, a vintage Omega is always on my mind like the way, it used to be.

Thank-you.

7. seamonster Respectable Member Dec 29, 2012

Respectable Member LouS

It is hoped, you will be the lucky owner of the SM 300. As long it is an Omega vintage-watch, you will not regret since the number of enthusiasts, going after this established brand-name, is growing from day to day.

Thank-you.

8. alam Dec 29, 2012

If I have to decide between these two watches in their current conditions and without any other constraints, I'd would choose the SM300. Now, if dial of the Connie was two notches up in terms of its dial condition, then I would pick the Connie but sell its bracelet....

9. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Dec 29, 2012

Neither - my advise would be to try and fine better examples for both models if you have the budget. If forced to choose between the two, the connie wins because it has that 14k gold bracelet which places its value over the SM300.
    The SM300 is already more than what I would be willing to pay for the watch in that condition.

10. Sherbie Dec 30, 2012

Dear members,

Has anyone seen these hallmark placements on a gold connie before ?

it seems to have 2 stamps on a single lug ( as opposed to 2 stamps on separate opposing lugs), and a series on HM stamps under the case reference 2662 - apart from 750, i cant make out the others

Has anyone seen this before?

Cheers, paul

11. MyVintageOmega Dec 30, 2012

I find the patina on the SM.....more acceptable...for ownership. IMO

12. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Dec 30, 2012

The Constellation dial just looks a bit crummy tbh, Mike's always saying condition condition condition... get the best condition piece you can for the money instead of trying to stretch your dollar for a better piece in worse condition.

13. Melhadary Dec 30, 2012

Respectable Member Seamonster,

IMO, a divers watch is somewhat justified looking used and roughened up... it gives it edge.... and in that condition as sold, its a good example of an original that's seen true diver days. The Connie on the other hand is a dress watch which deserves to be collected in as pristine a condition as possible, giving it value and collectability for the generations it may be passed down to, and in the condition this one is in, I believe the wait for one in better condition is much more worth it.

This is of course not taking into account selling price or value of the item.... just considering the models and the items themselves.

Thank you.
    Mazen

14. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Dec 30, 2012

On the Connie btw, if you're going to wear it, keep in mind that the solid gold dials on average stand up to time dramatically better than the regular ones. If you're going in that direction I'd recommend finding a mirror dial pie-pan De Luxe and sticking with it.

15. seamonster Respectable Member Dec 30, 2012

Respectable Member Melhadary

Well said and appreciated.

At this stage, it is a just a look-see and learning session, trying to learn more about the difference between a collectible dress watch and a collectible sports watch. It will be some while later, before I am able to pick up another vintage piece.

Now I can see the rationale behind it, as to why one has to have a roughened-up looks, while the other has to be pristine, all the way. I do not see this important point, till you mention it.

Thank-you.

16. seamonster Respectable Member Dec 30, 2012

Respectable Member dsio

Definitely your suggestion is spot-on and I appreciate. There is nothing better than one that has a mirror-dial pie-pan De Luxe. Such an example in top-condition attracts a long queue, today.

Thank-you.

17. seamonster Respectable Member Dec 30, 2012

Respectable Member MyVintageOmega

I agree with you. The patina on the currently listed watch is great.

Thank-you.

18. seamonster Respectable Member Dec 30, 2012

Respectable Member MSNWatch

I think the better examples are becoming more and more difficult to get, nowadays. I agree the Connie has the edge because of the 14k bracelet which is worth quite a bit, while the SM 300 has reached its max, I think so.

Thank-you.

19. seamonster Respectable Member Dec 30, 2012

Respectable Member alam

Getting a Connie in better condition is not that easy, since the good ones have been vaulted-up. I think there are more Connie collectors than SM 300 collectors, all over the world. As such, there is a better chance of getting a good condition SM 300 than a near pristine condition Connie.

Thank-you.

20. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Dec 30, 2012

It is precisely because sports watches - divers or otherwise - are more likely to be used and abused that the excellent original examples are harder to locate, command a significant premium over average examples and should be sought after. I would argue that condition is even more important for these watches.

seamonster and dsio like this.