Forums Latest Members
  1. azroxx Apr 10, 2015

Sorry for the bad photos, I was not prepared to photo anything that day..

It looks like a 1960's Constellation and it is in poor shape with the back being rubbed. The face looks OK for the age, I will leave it up to you experts.
    I am looking for momentos, no resales so I guess I might pay a little more than if I was going to resale?

P1020044.JPG P1020045.JPG P1020046.JPG
  2. azroxx Apr 11, 2015

P1020049.JPG more pics

P1020052.JPG P1020051.JPG P1020052.JPG
    Edited Apr 11, 2015
  3. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Apr 11, 2015

The movement is fake (I think). Dial looks genuine though.

4. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Apr 11, 2015

All constellations are automatic. That movement doesn't have a rotor, so at best it is now a manual wind.

Do you have photos of the back? Did it have an observatory and stars?

5. Martinibianco Apr 11, 2015

The movement does not match the case and dial at all! All vintage Constellations have an automatic calibre. This looks to be a Frankenwatch, I'd run a mile from this..::puke::

6. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Apr 11, 2015

But those dials, if genuine, are rare, and may be worth $300 itself?

7. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Apr 11, 2015

azroxx likes this.
  8. Martinibianco Apr 11, 2015

The dial looks to be a genuine Constellation rail track or trench dial, but I still wouldn't pay $300 for the dial alone.

9. azroxx Apr 11, 2015

this is all I have, I have other photos of inner backs but I am sure I have confused which is which and the internet is super slow today..

Thanks for all the input!! I am learning more and more every day, it is exciting to me!

10. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Apr 11, 2015

Are we looking at a cheap replacement movement or a fake.

Do remember seeing that type of movement before a long time ago and think it was something about a replacement that could go in old Quartz watches. Could have been a strong rum mix also

azroxx likes this.
  11. datniche27 Apr 11, 2015

Dial does look legit. Definitely franken with the movement. I'm not too familiar with that era of movements at all, it could possibly be real but definitely not correct for the watch. I know there are movements that do look like that, in style. Hopefully someone else can authenticate or call it out, shouldn't be difficult. Not a piece to keep, though I would think someone would try to rip a lot more than $320 out of it ;)

azroxx likes this.
  12. cristos71 Apr 11, 2015

I think you are showing us the picture of two different watches.
    The pictures with the dial shown look like a rail track dial 14381 or 14393. The pictures with the movement are of another watch. Compare the crowns and case, especially the lug area,
    If the railway dial has the correct movement ie a 561 or 564, to be honest I´m not sure which, and a decent and correct case back then at $320 it is definitely a big buy!
    The railway dial is not often seen and a very nice version to own :)
    2015-02-03 railroad.jpg

Gavin, NT931, azroxx and 1 other person like this.
  13. azroxx Apr 11, 2015

OK, I will try again and go see the guy. I am pretty darn sure I have the correct photos in this series. The only one missing is the outside back photo and the inside back photo.
    You are correct in that I looked at lots of watches and took 3 seperate photo series of watches. I looked at a Seamaster 600 and took photos, the Constellation and took photos and a Geneve and took photos...
    I thought I had them sorted correctly as I went back straightaway and loaded them in my laptop.

14. Martinibianco Apr 11, 2015

Great looking Connie, cristos! Drool...

15. datniche27 Apr 11, 2015

HA wow! Nice catch. Funny how we all just go down the series and overlook that. Definitely not the same watch indeed!

That Connie in your post is a stunner..

16. datniche27 Apr 11, 2015

The 2nd watch must be something along these lines

[​IMG]

Ring any bells?

17. azroxx Apr 11, 2015

yes my friend, looks like that..

Good Grief!! I do not want to confuse anyone and I am sure it happens..

I will go take some photos of the Constellation again

18. Martinibianco Apr 11, 2015

I'm looking at the photos again, and you're right cristos. The lug area and the different crowns are the giveaways. There are clearly showing 2 different watches.

And azroxx, I find strange that you'd ask if you should pay more if the watch is for "resale" (I take it that you mean you may sell the watch later). Why should you pay more whether it's for your own collection or for resale? If anything, you should be aiming to pay LESS if you're going to sell it and make a margin.

Something doesn't look right here, hmmm... And how you posted the photos...

19. azroxx Apr 11, 2015

I can tell you I was making the point that I would pay more than what the watch is worth (slightly) as I have no intention to resale, just to look at it and recall time and place with fondness, not a bitter heart over getting ripped off.
    I see lots of postings where Omega fans regret that they were trying to get a bargain and wish things were different. I am not going to be here in this country again and I do know that ebay and me, while I have lots of car stuff from them, are not friends on collectables. I live in nowhere Kansas and am looking for a few items to take as memories and hand-me-downs.
    After I get home I will still be browsing but only on vacations and I am justing starting out here on information gathering.
    The photos I took were in a shop. I stated that they were not the best quality but you can see the numbers and identifiers, so I posted anyways. The sequencing is my fault, the lack of continuity on the chain of photos is due to seriously slow upload speeds here in Kabul. Each photo was over 4MB and I did not resize them.
    I have drooled over the exquisite photos others have posted and maybe, someday I will be able to do the same quality.

20. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Apr 11, 2015

All good, all on here will steer you in the right direction. Like most new people to watches they tend to jump in head first. Just focus on one watch at a time, (and just take a picture of the floor to break them up, i do this fishing otherwise all the fish can look the same over the day)