Forums Latest Members
  1. Durethia Feb 5, 2013

In 2005 I bought my first Omega watch from an Omega boutique in Doha Qatar; I bought a nice looking De Ville Quartz Prestige two tone with a champagne face. For this past Christmas, I got my second Omega watch, a Speedmaster Automatic from the new Omega boutique in San Diego.

About this same time, I ran across ArchieLuxury's videos on youtube, and in one of his videos where he asserts (comically even) that Omega is not a true luxury brand, he mentions that Omega used gold plated parts. While I was forming a prospective response, and in particular why I would never purchase a Rolex, I realized that if Omega did in fact use gold plated parts this alone could be a severe mark against them in regards to prestige. So I consulted the wise google and apparently, Omega does have all manners of fake gold parts from gold filled (rolled gold) to electro-plated parts.

So I run over to my DeVille and start scrutinizing it, trying to inspect the wear and tear, the deep gouges, scrapes and scratches in the links, case and bezel as it has seen everyday wear for seven or eight years. I dug up the original sized links, and inspected the exposed sides of the golden links and they do appear to have steel cores or steel sides.

I don't know much about jewelry or best practices making bracelets designed to secure expensive, heavy watches to the wrist, so I'm not sure what to make of what I see.

Is my De Ville gold plated? Are the links in the two-tone bracelet solid, but with steel sides to protect the gold from the neighboring steel links? I spent a fair amount of money on that watch, and today the retail on the same model is more expensive; it does seem like an awful lot of money for a gold plated quartz watch. Can some one give an explanation? I really like Omega watches, they keep time well and are nice looking, but I can not find good reason to gold plate anything at such prices.

2. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Feb 5, 2013

Could you upload your watch pics? If you know your watch reference (it's in your warranty card / pictogram) you can search the technical detail in Omega website.
    I'm not sure about Deville models, but in Constellation two tone model from 95 and up the gold both in bezel and bracelet links are solid.

Regards,

3. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Feb 5, 2013

This might be surprising but Rolex also have had gold plating and rolled gold in their watches extensively over the years

4. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Feb 5, 2013

Do yourself a favour and stop watching his videos. He is hardly someone that I would consider to be a reference for what and what is not a luxury item.

Cheers, Al

5. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Feb 5, 2013

If Archie told me something was a cat, I'd double check it had whiskers, four legs, a tail and meowed.

MKelley likes this.
  6. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Feb 5, 2013

Sorry, I don't know my modern Omegas very well. Is a Deville Quartz Prestige model one that would be assumed to be 18K gold?

7. Spy You know my name. Feb 5, 2013

The next thing that loser will say is Omega uses fake stainless steel parts and underneath it is really brass.

8. Durethia Feb 5, 2013

Hi, I could... maybe tomorrow, but in the mean time, here. My watch face is a little different, it doesn't have roman numerals but other than that I would assume it's the same. I looked for my cards, couldn't find them in under five minutes, they did say gold, sapphire etc. though.

Also, I haven't been able to find where on Omega's site I can submit a serial number and retrieve details on my watch. Do you have a URL?

9. Durethia Feb 5, 2013

Yes, the specs say 18k gold and I agree from visual experience; I just don't know at this point if it's solid all the way through.

10. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Feb 6, 2013

http://www.omegawatches.com/
    The site that you just enter above.........

11. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Feb 6, 2013

I never hold similar watch first hand, but from my experience dealing with 95 and up Constellation two tone: the bezel, bracelet, hands and marker are solid gold 18K.
    This site also stated that the bracelet and part of the case are solid 18K Gold. http://www.authenticwatches.com/omega-deville-prestige-43101200.html#.URH09h1tjal

Hopefully it will restore your confidence. If the watch is gold plated or gold capped, I believe Omega will stated that.

12. Spy You know my name. Feb 6, 2013

Your watch might be out of production. This would explain why you cannot find it on Omega's website.

13. Durethia Feb 7, 2013

Here's a picture of it
    [​IMG]

Privateday7 I was led to believe that Omega actually had a page where you could enter a serial number and it would describe the watch; so that is what I was looking for and couldn't find it.

14. Durethia Feb 7, 2013

I tried to get a picture of the spare links as the gold links are easier to examine and shows what looks to be steel sides. But I don't have a second light source (camera too close to subject, will block the light), and my camera can't seem to focus well on things that close.

15. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Feb 7, 2013

Yes you can enter your reference number in search, it will show your watch description even though your watch has already discontinued. If your watch production is below 1985 you should use Omega Vintage Database (under history then vintage omega option).

I am 90% sure the bezel of your watch is solid gold, because it is pretty similar to Constellation two tone. As for bracelet I am under impression that it is also solid, but I might be wrong.

16. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Feb 7, 2013

It is the reference (model) number you enter, NOT the serial number

17. Durethia Feb 8, 2013

Ah, thanks very much. I was using my serial number. I still can't find my cards for my De Ville, they can be anywhere so I don't have the reference number.... I still have the receipt though, I ought to see if it's on there.

18. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Feb 8, 2013

If you PM me the serial number, I will look up the watch for you and see if I can determine the material.

Cheers, Al

19. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Feb 11, 2013

I received the serial number from the OP in a PM, and looked the watch up. It is a ref. 43101100, and the gold parts are solid 18k gold.

For example the crown code is BB, which means it is 18k yellow gold, with Omega colour designation 3N for yellow.

The bezel code is DB, which steel and gold, again colour 3N, 18k yellow gold.

Bracelet is the same, solid 18k gold parts.

Just ignore the guy who rants on Youtube....

Cheers, Al

SpikiSpikester likes this.
  20. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Feb 11, 2013

Well, I have a good guess........:). Thanks Al