Forums Latest Members

A cautionary tale (or don't let Omega service your watch?)

1. jimmyd13 Aug 17, 2017

As often happens on site visits, I got talking to a client about watches today ... and he started to tell me a story ...

He has his father's gold Omega and recently took it to a local jeweller (Omega AD) "to replace the battery". The watch is from the late 60s or early 70s. He seems to think it had a red logo. I'm thinking it might be an F300 and he's insistent that it's 18k yellow gold and says "De Ville". OK.

So, the local AD sent it to London as they'd never seen this model. The London (whoever) said they would have to send it to Bienne. The owner has received a quote of £2300 (yup, I didn't miss out a decimal point or comma or anything else - two thousand three hundred pounds sterling, some $2800 US). Now, that's not chump change to anyone - particularly for an F300 - but he won't miss the money and he wants to wear his Dad's watch so he said go ahead. The watch was sent to Switzerland two days ago.

When I heard this, we got on the phone to the AD. As you can guess, the quote includes replacing the hands, dial, polishing the case, and full service. We asked if they would just service the movement and replace the seals, to which we got a flat "no". We asked for the watch to be returned in the same state it was delivered and the owner would cover any costs incurred. At this point the AD rep became rude, if not outright hostile. Fifteen minutes later, the rep agreed to send an email asking for the watch to be returned.

STS can expect a call in a week or so.

(Unless anyone knows someone better with early Omega electric movements?)

2. ClarendonVintage Aug 17, 2017

people ask me why I choose vintage...::facepalm1::::bleh::

Fritz likes this.
  3. Mouse_at_Large still immune to Speedmaster attraction Aug 17, 2017

Without knowing the current condition of the watch and whether the owner would prefer it preserved in its current condition or restored to "as new" by Bienne, how can we evaluate this situation?

4. jimmyd13 Aug 17, 2017

The watch is marked. It was marked when his father (wearing it) almost died. He doesn't want the watch polished; he didn't realise they would change all the parts that were listed - something that the AD failed to convey but may be down to the fact that he left it with his secretary to arrange. He simply wanted the watch running again. In his words "he asked for a battery". He wouldn't mind if there was a fault with the movement that needed to be rectified; he wouldn't mind paying for a service. In fact, he thought he was paying for a service ... but not a complete overhaul including replacement of so many parts.

5. Vercingetorix Spam Risk Aug 17, 2017

Not sure why Omega is being blamed for anything here. Sounds to me like the AD is overcharging and upselling. $1100 full omega service x2.5 retail mark up= $2800 bill.

6. rcs914 Aug 17, 2017

Sounds like an AD to avoid to me.

7. Vercingetorix Spam Risk Aug 17, 2017

Every time I have sent watches to Omega in Switzerland, camera lenses to Carl Zeiss in Germany, and Contax cameras to Kyocera, I have always had to wait until the factory received the item until I received an estimate. I smell something fishy here.

8. jimmyd13 Aug 17, 2017

Because an Omega agent is charging 6 times the value of the watch to do more work than was asked for by someone who is no au fait with what's involved.

Imagine you take your 1990 Mercedes SL to Mercedes for them to service it and they charge you £60,000 for the service explaining that they thought it best that they replaced the engine, gearbox, rear axle and half the body panels

9. padders Oooo subtitles! Aug 17, 2017

If he just wants it running again he needs to speak to Paul at www.electric-watches.co.uk. Omega aren't the people to send a f300 to any more.

georgeszaslavsky and jimmyd13 like this.
  10. jimmyd13 Aug 17, 2017

Didn't Paul retire?

11. Mouse_at_Large still immune to Speedmaster attraction Aug 17, 2017

Thanks for the information. The situation is much clearer. Good catch :thumbsup:

12. padders Oooo subtitles! Aug 17, 2017

I believe he unretired, though contacting him direct would be the best way to find out. If he isn't available there is always Keith Tilley.

jimmyd13 likes this.
  13. jimmyd13 Aug 17, 2017

I've kept my eye on Paul's website for a while as I've a couple of my own that need attention. He had a notice up for some time saying he was backed up and not accepting jobs but that's gone now and I've just sent him an email. Thanks for the heads up.

14. padders Oooo subtitles! Aug 17, 2017

Best way to keep up with Paul is usually through The Watch Forum. Keith T is more usually found on TZ-UK. Both do sterling hummer work, though Keith does work on early quartz too.