Forums Latest Members

A 'Case' To Wear Your Watch.

1. Rjd1 Jun 5, 2013

Today I visited my local Bermout dealer to take a closer look at the Victory. Having read the reviews and the story behind the concept I was intrigued as to how this watch responds on the wrist. It is beautifully crafted but I'm just was not drawn to it. I left the store puzzled as to why because I love watches. The answer dawned on me when a drove passed my local university and the faculty of engineering, I feel the watch is over engineered with the inclusion of bits of embellished wood, cooper and leather. I find it too confusing, what is it trying to say? Heritage, unique, limited, exclusive, I fear its aimed at the speculative investor who will confine it to its box never to see the light of day until the auction room calls. Indeed, how would you replace a broken part made from the material taken from the fabric of HMS Victory. I would be too nervous to wear it. Then why compare? Both watches are from English watchmakers and both make luxury watches. It is not the price difference at £11950 the Victory is affordable and the C900 Harrison Single Pusher at £2450 would seem a bargin but its not the price difference. The C900 has heritage, its unique in its concept, its limited and beautifully crafted. The difference is that you will want to wear the watch and enjoying doing so. Watches belong on the wrist where the watchmaker intended them to be.

What's your 'case' to wear your watch?

Bermont Victory
    image.jpg

CW Harrison Single Pusher
    image.jpg

2. ulackfocus Jun 5, 2013

Wood? Really? Pardon me a minute while I chat with the Google about that.........

(cue theme to Jeopardy)

Okay, this article explains why & where the abnormal case materials came from:

http://wornandwound.com/2012/07/19/commemorative-watches-artifacts-for-the-wrist/

Not buying it though. I mean literally - I wouldn't buy the watch. And I'm an ocean going WIS too.

Literally a simple answer: I like simplicity of design. Not necessarily spartan, but a balanced presentation. The thinner the better too, as that was the mark of a good brand in the 50's, 60's, and 70's. I don't mind a little chunkiness in a casual watch, but a dress watch MUST slip under a shirt cuff and be discreet.

3. Rjd1 Jun 5, 2013

You have just described my late father's watch, just perfect Omega Geneve. Thank you.

4. ulackfocus Jun 5, 2013

[​IMG]

5. Rjd1 Jun 5, 2013

That's it - so many great memories. Thanks.

6. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Jun 5, 2013

I classify my watches as beater, daily wearer, special and very special.

Here are the 'case' for daily wearer:
    • All of my daily wearers are modern (less than 20 years old)
    • Decent water resistance so at least I don't have to worry about the watch getting splash when washing hand, some drink spill, catch some rain (no need to bring sporran around). For harsher condition (swimming, go to sea) I got my beater.
    • It should be dressy enough for any formal occasion but not too flashy, so all of them is stainless steel with simple design.
    • It should also be comfortable whether in leather strap or stainless bracelet and not too heavy so I can wear it 24 hours. (try that with PO XL or Flightmaster)
    • The movement parts should be relatively easy to find, or the warranty still on.
    • Lastly my daily wearer should be the one I wouldn't worry much if get scratch and ding.
    daily wearer 1 LR.jpg

7. porschefan Jun 5, 2013

Does "close my eyes and point" make it a case?

Privateday7 likes this.
  8. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Jun 5, 2013

:D ........LOL........best case ever

9. Rjd1 Jun 6, 2013

I guess that's one way to get to wear a watch..........LOL

10. Rjd1 Jun 6, 2013

I will wear three different watches in a day, morning, afternoon, evening, all depending on what I'm doing and where. Keeps them ticking.

11. Rjd1 Jun 6, 2013

When I graduated from university in 1979 my dad gave me this watch. Brought me luck at my first job interview, needed it as I was sporting a large black eye, Rugby. It was the start of my love affair with Omega watches.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Spy likes this.
  12. Rjd1 Jun 9, 2013

I only joined the forum a week ago to contribute to this forum. Unfortunately I feel that I have not been made as welcome as I hoped by a few with some curt messages posted. Therefore I have reluctantly decided not to make any further contributions. Thank you to all that have liked what I have written, the images I have downloaded and for the meaningful conversation.

13. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Jun 9, 2013

Come on Rjd1.........this forum is like an informal bar....very cozy place with a lot of knowledgeable guys around.......sure some people make old jokes that maybe some new comer do not fully understand.........or some different cultural way of communicating (hey we come from 5 corners of the world).........which at first we may get offended/ or feel not understood , but as you get along, these colorful characters actually make this forum very enjoyable.

14. Spy You know my name. Jun 9, 2013

Kind of like Cheers, except no one knows your name because we all use alias'. :p

15. SpikiSpikester @ ΩF Staff Member Jun 9, 2013

Especially those who have secret missions to complete :)

Spy likes this.
  16. ulackfocus Jun 9, 2013

Everybody knows my name. It's right at the top of my posts. 'Cept I'm more like some combination of Norm and Cliff with some addytood.

17. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident Jun 9, 2013

Err, my Christian name (if that's not politically incorrect) is Stewart and my surname begins with the letter H.

18. Spy You know my name. Jun 9, 2013

Why would be incorrect? Christian name is the same as saying Given name, excepted you were Christened 'Stewart'. :)

Since we are talking about names I will share mine for those who do not know it.

Bond...James Bond.

Privateday7 likes this.
  19. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident Jun 9, 2013

Just trying to take the thread back a peg

20. SpikiSpikester @ ΩF Staff Member Jun 9, 2013

This thread will self destruct in 5... 4... 3... 2...