Forums Latest Members
  1. Norfolk Mar 13, 2019

Dear fellow forum members....
    I am currently staying here in the US (New York) a lot more compared to home in England and find myself with the need for a challenge in my downtime when the UK is asleep! I have a slightly odd (perhaps not here) habit of ensuring that any Omega watch in my collection has the correct box and ideally papers with it. This has lead me to amass a reasonable number of boxes from 1950s to present day. However when something more obscure hits the collection (Megasonic Constellation for example) I struggle to find the right one. So it set me off on a train of thought - to put together a book of Omega boxes with decent photos and some background text which might act as a basic source of information. I was going to restrict it to Seamaster, Speedmaster and Constellation models. Say 1957-2000? I personally love seeing Omega boxes - the astonishing variation in them is a joy to behold. I have seen far more since spending time stateside - the US and Mexican /South American versions for example are very different to the European and UK ones. And of course this forum provides some excellent photos and information.

This would not be an exhaustive or comprehensive reference - I think that is actually impossible. What I would like to do is give good examples and some kind of chronological history that may be of use to those collectors and others with a passing interest in Omega and watches in general. And package it in a really attractive clothbound coffee-table style with the Omega logo prominent and echoing something of the style of the boxes themselves.

This would be purely a fun exercise - I was thinking of a run of 1000. Is that too ambitious?
    So the question is, do you think there is a good idea?!
    I have my tin hat on so lob those grenades at me....

Dash1 likes this.
  2. Noddyman Mar 13, 2019

3. MRC Mar 13, 2019

As a data point: I was not the fastest off the mark when the Crossthwaite & Gavin Carrera book came out due to the price, but as it is print-on-demand I know its serial number. Number 41.

I would think your book on boxes would sell a little better as the Omega world is larger than Heuer, but ......

< http://www.blurb.com/b/7893494-heuer-carrera-chronographs-1963-85 > Well worth the money for owners of early Heuer Carreras IMO

4. tikkathree Mar 13, 2019

I'm not one to pour water on what sounds like a fun idea/labour of love for you. But.....

I have zero knowledge about the cost of what most printers would regard as a one-off vanity publishing project but 1000 sounds too optimistic and 100 might be nearer the mark providing that you (1) can withstand the upfront costs and (2) don't mind the storage and slow sales trickle. Maybe a crowd-funding project?

I wonder if, in the cold light of tomorrow, you might think you have too much time on your hands but good luck with it all.

Lucasssssss likes this.
  5. flqt-9000 Mar 13, 2019

Great idea, I try to get the proper boxes for my Omegas too.
    I follow your project with interest!

6. Norfolk Mar 13, 2019

Valid points all - I have already got some quotes from a UK printing house that did an excellent job on a museum book I own. I thought it rather competitive. 1000 might be optimistic- I guess it would be interesting to see how many here would be interested and at what price point. Whilst I am not putting myself anywhere near the Moonwatch Only standard, that seems to command quite a price (and worth every penny I might add) - Signed limited edition etc for Omega Boxes Only in attractive binding would sell at what? What would an Omega collector be prepared to pay? I often pay up to GBP75 for a book on classic cars or watches.

..and of course I would welcome assistance from those with the collections and knowledge and who would be willing to share that ( and some photos) with me in exchange for a copy of the book, a good bottle of wine or dinner!
    I am back in London second week of April if anyone would like to meet up - I could bring my camera and notebook too.

I think it would be a challenging and interesting project and a way to give back something to the forum and fellow collectors that have made this hobby so endlessly fascinating.

ericmtl and Lucasssssss like this.
  7. ericmtl Apr 7, 2019

Count me in, I find it would be a great idea, I find it's part of the fun to assemble a complete set when you get a watch pre-owned.

8. arcadelt Apr 7, 2019

As good as books like (for example) "Moonwatch Only" and "Vintage Panerai" are, their wide appeal stems from being about the main part of the hobby - the watches and their history. like you I have thought about pulling together a similar reference on Breitling boxes, and have considered that the only practical way forward is to make it electronic (forum thread, website, eBook, etc) for two reasons: (1) the knowledge base is quite scant, and so information would be changing frequently; and (2) I don’t believe the market would bear such an expensive solution such as a coffee table book for such an obscure subject.

While possibly appealing to a great number, I doubt the market characteristics would be that different for Omega boxes.