Forums Latest Members

A birthday year Omega. Recommendations for a simple daily wearer from 1962?

1. pianofxr Jan 3, 2017

Hello all,

Been lurking for some time, following different interests but keep coming back to watches. Picked up several decent examples of Omega watches including a mid 60s Seamaster, a rose gold Cosmic, and a very nice 198.0001 f300 recently.
    I would like a birth year watch to add to thsee. 1962 to be exact. I'd prefer an automatic and stainless but I'm pretty open minded. I tend to favor bracelets as well. What does the forum recommend and does anyone have something they would want to trade/ sell? I know just enough to get myself in trouble:) Better to start here among the more trustworthy experts.

Andrew

2. SpeedyAV Jan 4, 2017

Edited Jan 4, 2017
  3. Georgieboy58 Jan 4, 2017

Careful, someone without knowledge might actually buy this.

SpeedyAV likes this.
  4. pianofxr Jan 4, 2017

Oddly enough, I haven't been bitten by the Speedy bug. I like them and appreciate their iconic presence but tool watches just are not my thing.
    I like to wear my watches which is why they don't need to be perfect under a microscope perfect. I like originality, excellent mechanical function, sturdiness, and understated beauty. I think a Connie is the ideal for this search. I don't see many SS examples that are in my price range, (under $1k) . But again I'm flexible.
    Anybody have pics of 62 vintage Constellations they'd like to share?

5. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Jan 4, 2017

This one is around that date
    14381 cross hair dome dial
    Hope that helps
    IMG_0500.JPG

chronos, Edward53 and ConElPueblo like this.
  6. ConElPueblo Jan 4, 2017

I have it's capped sister - also from 1962 :)

DSC_0082.JPG

DSC_0066.JPG

But @pianofxr, you're really in luck - there are tons of utterly fantastic Omegas from that year. It's right in the sweet spot for vintage watches. IMO, they probably never got any prettier.

7. pianofxr Jan 4, 2017

Wow. Just beautiful!
    What automatic movements were available in 1962?

8. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Jan 4, 2017

Those 2 have 551s
    But you also had 561 with date
    Both chronometer grade
    There were also Seamasters with none chronometer grade movements

9. Togri v. 2.0 Wow! Custom title... cool Jan 4, 2017

Also from 62
    image.jpeg

ConElPueblo likes this.
  10. pianofxr Jan 4, 2017

I've heard of the non-chronometer movements with the same movement number as chronometer. Does this just indicate a lack of a final certification or are they materially different?
    I've also seen the Seamaster chronometer models, as in the recent "hoarding" post by another member. What's the story there? Are they more scarce? Did they make any in 62? :)

11. Bumper Jan 5, 2017

Pretty much the same movement.

The Seamaster chronometers are not so common, because some people tend to hoard what little there is...

If you google 1962 Seamaster Chronometer, quite a few hits come up.

best,

12. GuiltyBoomerang Jan 5, 2017

My 62' Constellation with some rather unique patina:

[​IMG]

Foo2rama likes this.
  13. pianofxr Jan 6, 2017

Nice! I like the idea of a well serviced and solid movement with an original patina watch. Love the Connies but I may end up with a Seamaster, my impression, however naive is they might be a bit more rugged for daily wear. But what do I know.

14. Kmart Jan 6, 2017

I think both are equally suited to daily wear (or neither is, depending on your perspective and personal style). The cases and dials are really quite similar, generally -- as long as you get a stainless steel example.

15. pianofxr Jan 6, 2017

Among the vintage movements, the bumper movement for example, are there some that don't really stand up to the knocks of daily life well?
    I've had the opportunity to pick up a 1947 vintage omega but have not as yet due to concerns it might be too delicate. Am I way off base?

16. ConElPueblo Jan 6, 2017

Yes.

But if you're looking for dependability above everything else, I'd suggest you find a manual version. Omega has made millions of these and they are often quite inexpensive and easy to maintain. Nothing delicate about the automatics, though. Just find one that has been well cared for.

mden likes this.
  17. pianofxr Jan 6, 2017

Thanks. Thats the kind of clear answer I needed. I'll take another look at that older one I saw.