Forums Latest Members

A Better Standard Protocol for Shipping

1. trackpad Apr 24, 2017

You've been hunting for weeks, months,...maybe years. You finally find the piece – and from a seller who is an actual human, and not a creep. You negotiate a price and transfer funds and it's almost yours. It's going so well – and then comes shipping. This murky, ad-hoc process and procedure that must be negotiated, defined and redefined according to your individual locations, preferences and experiences. And who pays? And which carrier? And which level of service with that carrier and who decides that? And insurance, and declared value...and on and on.

Just wondering, could it be an idea to try and standardize a singular best practice and/or shipping contract that could fall under some name, say, "Protocol X" – where the terms are laid out in advance in a simple, fair, and easy to understand manner? ...and can be always be linked to for reference with a FS listing.

There are some easy and obvious things, and some less easy and complicated things to figure out and decide. I am just listing a few here, so you get the idea. This is not even a draft...just sample points.

---

* Buyer pays any and all costs associated with import

* Seller takes responsibility for safe and secure packaging. Damage suffered under transport that is not covered by insurance is the responsibility of the seller.

* Unless otherwise agreed upon, the shipment must take place on a Monday and by noon.

* No slow-boat ground savers. Maximum delivery time is 4 days. So if it's shipped on a Monday, it's delivered by the latest on Thursday.

* Approved carriers include UPS, FedEx and DHL.

* If either the seller or buyer demands it, insurance with an approved carrier must be provided to a minimum of 75% of the total sale value, with the cost to be shared by both.

* And so on...

---

I might regret trying to do this publicly (✓) But if there is any interest and it seems feasible, with a few contributors we might take it into a Google Doc and try to flesh something out.

My chief objective is to design some fair, natural and consistent model where the expense and risk of shipping is shared. And to make sure incentives are aligned – so everyone has an interest in using a quality service with some level of insurance, and will share in the pain and suffering in the worst case scenario...when a shipment is lost in transit.

Note that there could also easily be more protocols. Take, for example, Creative Commons, which is an umbrella for the standardization of many different types of licenses, each with different features and restrictions.

So the particular protocol you want for shipping a $450 watch might be different from the one you want to ship a $14500 watch. But to simplify, I think the starting point should be with watches in the 5 to 15k range in mind, and then modify from there where it makes sense.

---

UPDATE: There is some confusion about if I was aiming to institute new rules for sales on this forum, which...would be weird as I am not an admin ...or even a seller – let me just assure you that was not the idea. ;)

---

Edited Apr 25, 2017
  2. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Apr 24, 2017

100% insurance. FedEx only. Parcel Pro told me they are the only shipper that can be trusted. I find FedEx to be extremely transparent, predictable and controllable. No mail services period. Frankly the guidelines you propose are really common sense.

3. Rodmar Apr 24, 2017

I agree, but why wouldn't you ever decide all this with the seller before hand anyway?

4. dennisthemenace Hey, he asked for it! Apr 24, 2017

Interesting idea but personally I don't think there's much point.
    Buyers and sellers will all have their own favourite methods of shipping and insurance and will sort that out before any deal is finalised.
    One size can't fit all.
    Just out of interest, how many members here have actually had to claim for a watch lost or stolen in transit?

kov, cicindela and Rodmar like this.
  5. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Apr 24, 2017

OP was proposing guidelines. I completely agree that this should be decided up front.

Rodmar likes this.
  6. kkt Apr 24, 2017

USPS registered mail should be at the top of the list of preferred carriers.

Rodmar, efauser and shaun hk like this.
  7. MaiLollo Apr 24, 2017

Once my watch was lost, it was insured so the seller got the money back - he then proceeded to send me another one. One month and a half later, I received the original package! I kept both and ended up selling both.
    Unfortunately, it "only" was a Seiko SKX :D

8. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Apr 24, 2017

Since this website is really not supposed to be about sales, I don't believe it should be incumbent upon the moderation team to dictate or recommend specific shipping methods.

We all have preferences and even those preferences may change based on other factors of the deal, such as value, insurance, location of buyer or seller, etc. etc.

You folks are (or at least should be) adults. Any terms you agree on should be satisfactory.

In other words, we really don't want to know what happens between consenting adults.
    gatorcpa

kov, Nobel Prize, oddboy and 10 others like this.
  9. alam Apr 24, 2017

^^^^ amen! ^^^^

Rodmar likes this.
  10. Kringkily Omega Collector / Hunter Apr 24, 2017

I mean it's really easy to not be a crappy person. Sell like you want to be sold to easy as that.... if we have to remind everyone to be good people it might be a long road ahead...

Cubanchem, Paedipod, kov and 4 others like this.
  11. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Apr 24, 2017

Gator is quite correct. There are many methods and preferences for shipping. Discussing them here is fine, but establishing standards for Omegaforums and further tagging protocols with the name OF is not something that moderation wants or endorses. This is strictly between the seller and buyer.

trackpad likes this.
  12. WatchVaultNYC Apr 24, 2017

I don't know. This is pretty simple. Seller assumes all costs and risk during outbound shipment until signed by buyer or abandoned. If international sale, buyer is responsible for all taxes, duties and and related fees levied by buyer's government. Buyer assumes all return costs and risks.

Shipping days, insurance, carriers and similar decisions flow from protecting yourself during the part of the transaction where you are liable. And you can be sure it's in people's interest to protect their own backsides. For example, cheap out on the carrier, insurance or signature confirmation during the leg you are liable and package gets lost or damaged? Sucks to be you.

Larry S likes this.
  13. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Apr 24, 2017

4 days ::confused2::::confused2::
    I challenge anyone even in Sydney to get something to darwin in 4 days. 5-7 days from Sydney in a overnight bag, 2-3 weeks from the US or UK

14. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Apr 24, 2017

Even in the US, that's a pretty tall order unless you use UPS or FedEx 2nd day.

Pretty expensive on a small purchase.
    gatorcpa

15. trackpad Apr 24, 2017

To everyone suggesting that this is something that the buyer and seller agree to upfront or beforehand – I agree. I guess what I'm talking about is standard contract or framework of understanding to which two parties could easily and quickly agree.

Still, for me and the deals I've done, it's mostly been something we've stumbled through post sale. Specifics about which carrier or service level with that carrier were not discussed – certainly not what happens if/when the package doesn't arrive (gasp!). I agree that a lot of this stuff seems like it should be common sense, but it's seemed less than common or shared with some sellers.

Am I really the only one who has purchased something "including shipping" only to find out that this was with Poste Italiane...or USPS ...and then personally shelled out more money to guarantee a higher level of service with tracking?

I would personally feel more encouraged about a purchase if the FS listing gave a nod to a protocol that dictated a high standard of shipping with a known carrier.

16. trackpad Apr 24, 2017

I agree, one size can't fit all. The idea was to set some minimum standard, and to establish a shared understanding for the more tedious details and worst case scenarios. Changes could always be agreed to on a case by case.

I know the details of only two instances where a watch went missing in shipment, but I'm assuming there have been others.

17. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Apr 24, 2017

I get your point, but what keeps you from having that standard contract and using it for your purchases and sales? It doesnt need to be endorsed to be valid to you.

18. trackpad Apr 24, 2017

Correct. I will take this approach. Just thought it could be more fun and easier to standardize with the good input and experience of other members, and then could be useful to more than just me... but I'll work on it privately! ;)

Nobel Prize likes this.
  19. WatchVaultNYC Apr 24, 2017

you gotta hash out all the detail before sale. Its hard to agree what to do post sale especially if someone loses money in the process.

Hard enough for people reneging on what's already agreed upon..

Rodmar likes this.
  20. trackpad Apr 24, 2017

@ChicagoFrog had a valuable purchase and long sought piece in transit from Europe disappear some time after it reached the U.S. and, AFAIK, he was out for the entire purchase. So it may seem simple and straightforward, but when things go pear-shaped and many thousands of dollars are involved, simple or obvious sometimes goes out the window.