A beginner asking for help on vintage seamaster

Hello enthusiasts!

I've had a good time so far reading through some of the experiences posted on the forum. I know next to nothing about watches...

My mother obtained this Seamaster watch from a family member around 1980. I've had it kept away for the last 20 years and have never had it serviced (too afraid to send it off).

Any pointers on potential model would be very much appreciated. Or any tells if something looks off.

I live in Manhattan so if there's a reputable place to take this to remove the back cover please let me know. Seems like some folks had good luck with the boutique on 5th. From what I can tell the watch still works when I use it, albeit I very rarely use it (once in the last 8 years).

Finally, any info on what the fourth hand does, what the two sub dials do, or what the bottom button is supposed to do?

Thank you so much for any help you can provide.

Sal
20220606_082347.jpg 20220606_082841.jpg 20220606_082858.jpg 20220606_082848.jpg 20220606_082955.jpg 20220606_083013.jpg 20220606_083022.jpg 20220606_083051.jpg 20220606_083039.jpg 20220606_091104.jpg

😲😲😲

DON'T POLISH THAT WATCH!
At all? Gold cleaner in the ultrasonic will make it shiny while leaving the rest of it alone.

Personally I love the way the tarnished case complements the dial.

Great watch! This does indeed look like a 176.007 to me and calibre1040.com is your best guide for the movement inside.

The long, thin straight hand is the chronograph seconds hand
The long straight hand with “aeroplane wings” at the top is chronograph minutes (mine has an orange tip in the photo below)
Hours are counted in the bottom subdial. All three of these make up the chronograph recorder. The pusher at 2 starts the party; the pusher at 4 stops and resets the counter.

The subdial at 9 is running seconds on the outside track (and this will tick continuously, relating to the normal timekeeping hands), and the little triangle is the 24 hour indicator on the inside track - just in case you don’t know whether it’s am or pm (actually very useful when you’re setting the time or live somewhere where it can be confusing).

In my first photo below, therefore, you can see it’s nearly 10:12am, with the chronograph recorder showing 22m 42.2s elapsed.

My 007 (which I was wearing just this weekend) says hi:

40FFAF13-AF9D-4FF7-B4D0-4D4067E93497.jpeg C1007058-83D6-4885-8961-664F03185696.jpeg
Edited:

Personally I love the way the tarnished case complements the dial.
Me too

Great watch! This does indeed look like a 176.007 to me and calibre1040.com is your best guide for the movement inside.

The long, thin straight hand is the chronograph seconds hand
The long straight hand with “aeroplane wings” at the top is chronograph minutes (mine has an orange tip in the photo below)
Hours are counted in the bottom subdial. All three of these make up the chronograph recorder. The pusher at 2 starts the party; the pusher at 4 stops and resets the counter.

The subdial at 9 is running seconds on the outside track (and this will tick continuously, relating to the normal timekeeping hands), and the little triangle is the 24 hour indicator on the inside track - just in case you don’t know whether it’s am or pm (actually very useful when you’re setting the time or live somewhere where it can be confusing).

In my first photo below, therefore, you can see it’s nearly 10:12am, with the chronograph recorder showing 22m 42.2s elapsed.

My 007 (which I was wearing just this weekend) says hi:

40FFAF13-AF9D-4FF7-B4D0-4D4067E93497.jpeg C1007058-83D6-4885-8961-664F03185696.jpeg
Thank you so much for this great detail! I hope I can help someone like this in the future.

The tarnish is gorgeous 🥰
Thank you for this. I had always thought the tarnish was something wrong with it. I had always been told it was a gold watch but i don't have any gold that has tarnished. I like the look of it too and will leave it at it

Thank you for this. I had always thought the tarnish was something wrong with it. I had always been told it was a gold watch but i don't have any gold that has tarnished. I like the look of it too and will leave it at it
I hope you get your wish. You'll have to be very specific when talking with whoever services it that you want it left alone.

I had always been told it was a gold watch but i don't have any gold that has tarnished.

Your watch appears to be gold-plated. When people refer to a "gold watch", they usually mean solid gold of some karat composition.

Is there much risk in having the caseback taken off to reveal the serial number and other markings? I'm of the mind to leave it as is unless it stops working, but maybe I'm being overly cautious. If I have to send it out for that then I'll definitely not bother unless I have to.

Is there much risk in having the caseback taken off to reveal the serial number and other markings? I'm of the mind to leave it as is unless it stops working, but maybe I'm being overly cautious. If I have to send it out for that then I'll definitely not bother unless I have to.

You certainly don't have to open the watch. You started the thread to ask for information, and the information you want is inside. So, if you want to satisfy your curiosity, then have the watch opened. There's not much risk in having an expert do it, but on the other hand, all you will receive is a couple of numbers (a reference number for the model, and a serial number which will give you an approximate production date). So, if it's not very important to you, then put the watch away for another 20 years. 😉

Wow! A gold 176.007 and the case is pristine. Even the pushers and crown look untouched. I agree, the tarnish matches the dial. Getting that serviced will probably cost 30% of the watches value, but it will keep very accurate time and be an awesome piece to have.

Wow! A gold 176.007 and the case is pristine. Even the pushers and crown look untouched. I agree, the tarnish matches the dial. Getting that serviced will probably cost 30% of the watches value, but it will keep very accurate time and be an awesome piece to have.
Gold plated to be precise 😀. I decided that I'd start wearing it rather than keep it stored away. I've been inspired after reading through a number of posts on this site and all the detailed info.

Gold plated to be precise 😀. I decided that I'd start wearing it rather than keep it stored away. I've been inspired after reading through a number of posts on this site and all the detailed info.
Good decision! Watches are made for wearing and enjoying, not for locking them away in a drawer or a display.
Even if this is in pristine condition. Just don't wear it for DIY or gardening...