Forums Latest Members

A beautiful interaction between my girlfiend and a Rolex wearer

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ffej4 Survey Man Apr 8, 2017

My girlfriend, Cassie, has become fluent in the world of watches since we started dating about 1.5 years ago.

Today, at her job, a man approached her who was obviously wearing either a Sub or a GMT Master.

She asks him, "is that Rolex a diver?"

He smugly responds, "no, it's a Submariner."

This, folks, is the epitome of a man wearing a $6,000 watch yet does not know what a diver is.

How many of you have had interactions like this? I've only had one. I told a guy I liked his Planet Ocean and he had no idea what I was talking about. He then was like, "oh, the Omega?"

Anyways, cheers. Enjoy your weekend everybody!

2. watchdaddy1 Apr 8, 2017

Many interactions. You can't take it to heart as not every1 knows (besides us Crazies, Infected WIS's) what they are wearing to most normal folk,it's a status symbol.
    I saw a man wearing a Panerai Regatta 526 (a 12g timepiece) & he had no clue..I was chaffed but in recent years I've come across alot of these types in Scottsdale,Az.

Longbow, noelekal, watchknut and 6 others like this.
  3. yinzerniner Apr 8, 2017

In my experience dealing with tons of finance, real estate and marketing people Rolex Submariner wearers are the most ignorant and pigheaded "watch enthusiasts" you run into.

Conversely, any individuals in those fields who wear Rolex GMT, Explorers or Daytonas are very astute and knowledgable, as enthusiasts and people. Datejust wearers are often neither here nor there, but more often then not were given their Rolex as a heirloom or gift.

Just my $.02, but can totally see how a douche canoe would be drawn to the sub given their similar aquatic tendencies.

lando, Billyp7718, noelekal and 11 others like this.
  4. watchdaddy1 Apr 8, 2017

Douche canoe- That's some funny shyt right there.[emoji106] I just blew coffee outta my nose here I thought I had the Douche vernacular down pat.

5. ffej4 Survey Man Apr 8, 2017

Makes sense. If you want an absolute status symbol, the Sub is basically THE watch. I'd argue it's the most recognizable watch design in the world, by a long shot. I talked to one Daytona owner and, no shocker, he was a collector and knew his stuff about Rolex.

I have no idea how one could conduct a study on watch ignorance levels amongst watch wearers, but I would guess that Submariner and Invicta wearers top the list. I hope that doesn't offend anyone––the Submariner is a tremendous watch. Just like Porsches are tremendous vehicles. You'll encounter many people wearing/driving both and not know a damn thing about either... That's how the world works!

Edited Apr 9, 2017
    noelekal, Lukeeesteve, pippy and 3 others like this.
  6. watchdaddy1 Apr 8, 2017

Douche canoe.... hahahahaha

pippy, Uniqez, yinzerniner and 2 others like this.
  7. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Apr 8, 2017

Guy wearing an obviously fake Sub told me my POC was fake...

8. RLC Apr 8, 2017

Gentleman asked for a closer look, when I complied......he said....."Ahhh, the right to 'Fudd' Arms."::facepalm1:: fullsizeoutput_1377.jpeg

Dre, Lukeeesteve, pippy and 5 others like this.
  9. munichblue Apr 8, 2017

You're not seriously classifying and characterising people in GMT, Daytona or Submariner wearer....?

Lukeeesteve likes this.
  10. ffej4 Survey Man Apr 8, 2017

We are simply hypothesizing. Not trying to stereotype or profile people. Nonetheless, in doing so, we naturally create controversy.

11. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Apr 8, 2017

I once complemented a guy on his Pepsi. His response......

"No, it's a rolex"

lando, Syrte, Longbow and 17 others like this.
  12. redpcar Apr 8, 2017

I have an acquaintance who thought his Sea Dweller was a Sub. I had to point out the difference. He had no idea.

noelekal, flw, Lukeeesteve and 3 others like this.
  13. Uniqez Apr 8, 2017

Well, from my experience, good percentage of rolex watches are purchased and placed on the wrist just to show the status.
    I've seen one gold day-date on one of the people I was dealing with for work.And the guy seen me eyeballing his watch (the time, day and date were wrong set that's what cut my attention, not the Rolex name))). So, he looked at me and said: "Its a rolex,Do you like it???" I said that I prefer my Omegas and pointed out that his watch does not set right.
    His reply was:"I don't have time for it and it's too complicated to do..."

Edited Apr 8, 2017
    noelekal, ffej4, watchknut and 2 others like this.
  14. redpcar Apr 8, 2017

I don't mess with the day/date features either. It's all I can do just to see the hands :rolleyes:

noelekal, ffej4, kingsrider and 5 others like this.
  15. alam Apr 8, 2017

You guys seem to meet or deal with some very strange fellows....you just need to point them to this forum, and then watch them become normal... :coffee:

noelekal, Syrte, ffej4 and 4 others like this.
  16. corn18 Apr 8, 2017

Watch out @munichblue, someone might think you're making another fat joke. :D

Hijak, Lukeeesteve, Jwit and 3 others like this.
  17. Retsamaes Apr 9, 2017

A guy came in the pub who was wearing a new daytona I admired it and he passed it to me for a closer look. On handing it back I mentioned that the chronograph was running. His reply "what's that"
    He is a great guy with a successful business but hadn't a clue about the watch at all.

Syrte, noelekal, ffej4 and 4 others like this.
  18. blufinz52 Hears dead people, not watch rotors. Apr 9, 2017

Love these holier than thou Rolex bashers here. Don't get hurt patting yourself on the back.

19. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Apr 9, 2017

Oh dibs!!!!!!!

RLC likes this.
  20. M'Bob Apr 9, 2017

You do have a point. There are some broad strokes here. I never found that arrogance with vintage Rolex wearers. However, there is that stereotypical investment, mid-twenties/early thirties, hair-gelled, Porsche-driving, quick-money, loud, gift-to-all-women dude that thinks he is uber-cool, is really uber-cliched, and will put his new Sub right under your nose.

lando, LawBrk, noelekal and 10 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.