Forums Latest Members
  1. Recoil Rob Jul 31, 2015

Only one I have seen, are they uncommon?

422-1.JPG

2. Andy K Dreaming about winning an OFfie one day. Jul 31, 2015

I've always assumed those colorful (green, orange, purple, red, even some blue) Seamasters that show up on eBay to have been aftermarket paint jobs. There are no orange dials in AJTT anyway.

Mark020 likes this.
  3. Recoil Rob Jul 31, 2015

AJTT? The watch is not from eBay, offered at a public auction.

4. Recoil Rob Jul 31, 2015

OK, A Journey Through Time.

5. Andy K Dreaming about winning an OFfie one day. Jul 31, 2015

The book A Journey Through Time. It isn't 100% comprehensive but is very thorough.

6. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jul 31, 2015

Not all the odd dials from this era are redials - this one was original for example:

[​IMG]

But I believe the one in the OP's photos is a redial based more on the fonts, lack of T's either side of Swiss Made, etc.

Duracuir1, Mark020 and TexasKevin like this.
  7. ulackfocus Jul 31, 2015

It must be a "prototype" dial - maybe it was a limited edition Florida Orange Grower's Union piece..... limited to "one". :p:p:p

Okay, seriously - it's a refinished dial. So yes, it is "uncommon" - and probably even "unique". :D

Mark020 and watchyouwant like this.
  8. Pvt-Public Jul 31, 2015

Is it from India or the Ukraine??

watchyouwant likes this.
  9. Recoil Rob Jul 31, 2015

Actually it's from an auction of fine jewelry and watches in the US, many newer Omega's, Rolex, Breitling, Cartier, etc.

10. Andy K Dreaming about winning an OFfie one day. Jul 31, 2015

I agree that not all are redials but there are a handful of eBay sellers that put out so many of these redials that whenever I see a colorful dial of that style I just operate under the assumption that it is not original. For example, this seller currently has 133 Omegas for sale on eBay:
    http://www.ebay.com/sch/m.html?_odk...R9.TRC5.A0.H0.Xomega.TRS2&_nkw=omega&_sacat=0Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

And this text is from their description:

All of our vintage pre - owned watches we offer here are authentic watches that had been reconditioned, re-polished and re-serviced to perfection by our master watch technician.

Each of this items is a "One of A kind" item that has been verified to be an original vintage of its brand.

11. Recoil Rob Jul 31, 2015

Here's photo of another I found, sold through a Google search, sold by a vintage watch dealer...no mention of a refinish...I guess it's buyer beware.

Unti3tled.jpg

12. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jul 31, 2015

Yes, I'm aware of all the very bright redials out there. As I sad, the one the OP posted is a redial - I'm just saying that by odd colours alone, you can't be sure. Omega did make some very strange watches in this era, so when you said you assumed that all the green, orange, purple, red, even some blue were automatically redials, I was just pointing out that not all of them are.

Cheers, Al

watchyouwant and Andy K like this.
  13. Andy K Dreaming about winning an OFfie one day. Jul 31, 2015

Yep, I totally agree. I was just trying to convey for the benefit of the OP why I would err on the side of caution.

14. Recoil Rob Jul 31, 2015

Al,

For my own knowledge, what are the "lack of T's either side of Swiss Made, etc." you refer to? In the first orange watch I posted there are some small marks on either side of the SWISS MADE, they look more like dashes than T's, is this what you are referring to?

Also, not to be argumentative, but the fonts on both the orange watches I posted look identical, wouldn't that indicate coming from the same place?

Thank for sharing your knowledge. I just love that YouTube video you put up ahowing the Longines Chronometer running, I'm trying to figure out a way to use that in a loop as my desk top.

thanks,

Rob

15. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jul 31, 2015

T for tritium - this has lume and from this era would be tritium, and it should have a T on either side as proper Omega dials do. Also the font of Seamaster is off from the original dials I have seen.

There being 2 orange dials with identical fonts may indeed indicate it came from the same place - just not Omega.

Cheers, Al

watchyouwant, Giff2577 and Baz9614 like this.
  16. Recoil Rob Jul 31, 2015

Thanks all.

17. Skv Jul 31, 2015

How can it be an original vintage watch of it's brand if the dial is made up?

Andy K likes this.
  18. Civic4982 Jul 31, 2015

Thanks for the tips experts. I've gazed at these colorful dials before and concerned that they likely were redials as well.

19. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jul 31, 2015

Notice on your second orange one posted the marks don't centre in the middle of the dial hardware from about the 7 onwards. Good way to pick redials for a beginner

20. speedbird Aug 1, 2015

Some of these redials are quite attractive