Forums Latest Members
  1. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Feb 18, 2015

Hey guys,

I'd be interested to hear thoughts on this one.

I think chrono second hand is wrong, flat ended.

Is that hour recorder creeping?

Chipped paint on the minute hand near the center, on the bottom edge?

Lugs look ok.

What else?

IMG_20150218_201324_edit.png

No movement pics yet..

Thanks for your time and feedback!

J

2. dougiedude Carpe horologium! Feb 18, 2015

I like the dial... can I have this one? LOL

I guess all the real experts are asleep right now, and it's just you and me, Joel!

Does that mean all the real experts are across the pond? Or, just getting 'brain' rest?

Or, do they not respond until there's a 'meat-of-the-matter' movement pic?

3. pitpro Likes the game. Feb 18, 2015

Looks scraped and relumed to me.

4. dougiedude Carpe horologium! Feb 18, 2015

An expert that's awake!

Good point.

The hands don't match the indexes at all, do they... the seconds hand looks way out of place, and wrong, like you said already.

5. Davidt Feb 19, 2015

I think those hands could be original. I've seen a few where the lume on the hands has aged much darker than the dial.

Also think the lume on the hour markers is original, just shrunk slightly.

I'd certainly want more pics from different angles and one with the back off but its not a bad start.

One of my concerns would be the discolouration around the crystal. Is that rust inside the watch or dirt on the outside edge of the crystal? I think dirt but so some more pics will help.

6. dc_in_sf Feb 19, 2015

I think the jury is still out on flat bottomed chrono seconds on a 145.012. I have one on mine but the lume matches the other hands so appears to be original.

7. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Feb 19, 2015

I'd consider the flat bottom good on a late 145.012, Moonwatch Only also states that both are good on that reference.

8. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Feb 19, 2015

For me this is at first glance, and one photo, is that this is an attractively aged correct watch.

Now it's not worth top money, as the ageing appears to verge on decay, but that can be photos.

The hands are grubby and I would want to improve things in this area.

For me the plots have aged,the lume shrinking and the hands look to have aged along the same time line.

The case looks good and the parts I can see are correct, though as I said, aged. The price should take this ageing into account.

I understand hands and plots are slightly different in "architecture" and so some difference in aging is to be expected. The matching hands and plots, in terms of colour, often only appear because owners exchange them. I still like them to match, but in my experience this happens more by intervention than by neglect.

When a dial is relumed, it is often done so the plots look like catapillars, a bit wobbly. In this case the lume does not cover the base marking, and does appear aged. I have seen the same shrinkage shown here in many original dials, and so I would have to say in my opinion it is unlikely this dial is relumed.

Calling Micheal E for his opinion?

My concern is that at the edge of the dial it seems dirty. Is this a sign of water damage?

And yes....

I was asleep.....

dougiedude likes this.
  9. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Feb 19, 2015

Yea I was looking at that browning around the edge, I actually thought it might be just gunk / wrist slime / dirt accumulation between the bezel and crystal rather than on the dial as its more uniform around the edge than focused around the crown/pushers as you'd expect for mild water intrusion.

10. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Feb 19, 2015

Indeed. A movement shot will be invaluable.

11. justwatching Feb 19, 2015

The lume of the minute hand seems to be missing. U can see the indices of the sub dial under it.

12. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Feb 19, 2015

Thanks for the feedback!

Movement.

IMG_20150219_124008_edit.png

13. TNTwatch Feb 19, 2015

The issues appear relatively minor: lost lume on minute hand, wrong small second hand and dirty/rusty crystal tension ring. All boils down to the price now. Good luck.

14. pitpro Likes the game. Feb 19, 2015

So then wobbly lume inside the borders is ok
    wobbly lume outside the borders is not ok
    see, you learn something everyday. lol

dennisthemenace likes this.
  15. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Feb 19, 2015

Don't be surprised if your caterpillar experiences some shrinkage with age is what Space is saying I think.

Emeister likes this.
  16. pitpro Likes the game. Feb 19, 2015

wobbly is wobbly
    do they all shrink, or just some?
    [​IMG]

17. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Feb 19, 2015

is the hour recorder creeping ahead? is that an issue to be concerned about, or is that basically just proof of a service needed?

18. justwatching Feb 19, 2015

The missing lume on the minute hand can sometimes distort the the shape of the hand over time since theres nothing in between to hold it. But if u plan to change the hands then i guess its a non issue. The hand of the 30min sub dial seems to be slightly misaligned too as well as the hour recorder hand. Probably due for a service