Forums Latest Members

9ct Omega ladies wrist watch genuine?

1. Treasureout May 26, 2014

Hello Friends

Recently bought 9ct automatic omega de ville from an auction. Not sure if it's original, it would be great if I could get some info from experienced friends, about movement & gold, it's 22 grams, how much I can get if I go for sell? Looking forward for replies

Thanks in advance... image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

2. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident May 26, 2014

Welcome to our little corner of the internet.

The problem with vintage ladies' watches is that they are not hugely collectible is it is hit or miss what you could get for it. Proper auctions (rather than eBay) will give a greater return but then you already know what it will fetch at auction.

I have given a few vintage Omegas as gifts to certain women in my life and the most I have paid for one, prior to servicing, is £200 for an 18 carat Cal.620 with original box and papers, albeit on a strap and I probably over paid as it was a birth year example. Yours is from about 1965.

I hate to say this but you would probably get more for it by selling the movement separately and the case/bracelet for melting - don't forget that a large part of the weight will be in the movement. That Cal. 661 is a scarce beast so it might take a while to sell it for a good price or you might find someone who is desperate for parts quite quickly.

On the whole, women tend to want a watch that looks good so the patina on the dial that appeals to us here, is not so attractive and winding it up before wearing is an unnecessary act - at least that was the consensus on this forum a while back.

Treasureout likes this.
  3. Treasureout May 26, 2014

Thank you so much, it looks like I overpaid. Do you have any idea about beast weight, have to take decision, scrap or Auction.

Thank you once again for the honest reply.

4. Treasureout May 26, 2014

Thank you so much, it looks like I overpaid. Do you have any idea about beast weight, have to take decision, scrap or Auction.

Thank you once again for the honest reply.

5. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident May 26, 2014

I really don't know. I have just weighed the case and bracelet from a friend's watch that I am servicing - it is 9 carat with an integrated bracelet, and that weighs 18 grammes. The manual winding movement (Cal 485) weighs 7 grammes, (as does a Cal. 620) so the 661 must weigh at least 10 grammes. I would stress that those measurements were taken on kitchen scales and not jeweler's scales.

Treasureout likes this.
  6. Treasureout May 26, 2014

Thank You!!

7. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member May 26, 2014

Based on all the numbers above, I think you are looking at melt value of the case at no more than £120.

Total weight of 22 grams, less 10 grams for the movement leaves 12 grams. Not sure if we're adjusted for the crown and crystal or not. Let's say not.

12 grams X 9/24 (9K gold) = 4.5 grams of pure gold @ $42/gram X 0.588 ($ to £ exchange rate) = £111.

A scrapper will likely offer somewhere around £100. He has to make a few pence, too.

Hardly seems worth scrapping to me. You might be able to get a little more than that on eBay. Don't know the market for these right now, just that it isn't too healthy.

It would be a shame to break it up unless there's a real value to the movement.
    gatorcpa

Treasureout likes this.
  8. Treasureout May 26, 2014

Thanks you so much for the reply, looks like I got £80 punch. Better I go with ebay then.