Forums Latest Members
  1. L Tigre May 21, 2019

Hi All - Been a while since I posted here. This morning when I had an Omega problem I thought "I must go to the source of all knowledge" aka this forum.

So my Speedmaster Racing w the 9900 movement has a strange misbehavior. When I'm wearing it it's flawless; keeping time to about 1-2s/day without fail. This is my daily-driver and I've never had an issue while wearing it.

But when I rest it for some time; say 18h or so, it stops. Somehow it is not getting an effective 60h power reserve, or anything near it. I had noticed this once before but figured well I've been sedentary, didn't get any motion in my arm, etc. This Sunday morning I ran for 7 miles with this watch on my wrist; took it off Sunday night and by Monday afternoon it had stopped.

I bought it gray-market and so now am duly chastened regarding the need for an authorized dealer. (Mea Culpa, ADs. You will teach me my lesson no doubt when I bring it in for service...) But before I take it to the shop, I want to shake it down a bit.

So my question is, what is the correct/nominal behavior of the watch, regarding the winding and rotor assembly? How many turns to full wind? Is it protected against over-winding and if so what occurs when it's wound to it's limit?... does it click/ratchet or just stop winding or ? Also interested in the rotor behavior; should the rotor turn when it's fully manually wound? Should it become easier or harder for the rotor to turn as the barrels become more charged?

In any case it's likely an expensive service event, but just trying to learn more before I send it in. Pls let me know any suggestions, thx in advance-

2. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker May 22, 2019

Did you wind the watch using the crown before wearing it initially? If not, give that a try.

You may hear a soft extra clicking when the watch is fully wound - you can't wind it too much, so give the crown 100 turns to start.

Edited May 22, 2019
  3. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member May 22, 2019

Think there a typo and you meant can’t

4. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker May 22, 2019

Thanks - corrected it...typing too fast...

5. TMas May 22, 2019

I suggest you try the following simple tests to eliminate any guessing:
    Fully wind the watch with the crown (100 times is a good suggestion) and put it aside. If it stops long before the advertised 60 hours of elapsed time, there is a problem somewhere with the automatic mechanism and you should bring it in to a professional. If it ran the entire time then it means that the watch can be wound up correctly with the crown and the power reserve is in order.
    To test to see if the watch winds up correctly with the rotor, fully wind the watch with the crown and wear it daily. I assume you are a relatively active person having ran 7 miles last Sunday so if all is in working order, it should not stop. If it stops after normal everyday wear then something is wrong and the rotor isn’t correctly winding the watch.

6. L Tigre May 22, 2019

Thanks all for the input. I’ve only very rarely manually wound it in the past. So I did that to full wind of 100 turns or so. It seems to stop anyway after a few hours.

I have a strange habit; I wear a watch 23+ hours a day including while I’m asleep. ( I travel often, often in a dark hotel room and need to know what time it is without my glasses... this is a primary purpose of a watch to me.) The only time I take it off is in the shower. Under these always-on-the-wrist conditions it has been flawless. But take it off for a day, and it’s done.

I’m observing for another day or two and then will take it for service next week I guess. Let me know any suggestions there. Thx again-

7. jcmartinez98 May 22, 2019

Make sure you wind it until you feel the clicks that @Archer mentions that is really obvious, regardless of the number of turns. THAT is fully wound.