Forums Latest Members
  1. tyrantlizardrex Apr 11, 2017

Talking to a few people over the last month or so, and it seems that getting hold of cool/interesting/rare watches is nearly all luck, with a little tiny bit of skill on top.

Last week a couple of Omega Seamaster 145.024 "Jedi" went up for sale in the UK, one at auction, the other on eBay.

I was sitting chatting with @neilfrancis about the one on eBay, the pictures were bad, the price was maybe a bit high... we both decided it wasn't worth a punt... we drank a cocktail... we talked watches (Episode 4 of The Time 4A Pint Podcast coming Friday 14th April).

Then at some point on Saturday I ended up buying it.

I'm trying not to buy watches, but you all know how that one goes.

You get talking to someone, something gets offered, you agree a price, they then mention that they have the inner, and outer boxes and the instruction book - and before you know it, you've bought another watch.

It's arrived this morning, and I am pleased to confirm that once again, 99% luck, 1% skill.

Wow.

IMG_9768.JPG
    IMG_1545.JPG
    IMG_9181.JPG
    IMG_6576.JPG
    IMG_7465.JPG

2. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Apr 11, 2017

Looks a bit like the Teutonic series, any connection?

tyrantlizardrex likes this.
  3. Fatcat Apr 11, 2017

Superb enjoy it

4. shaun hk Fairy nuffer Apr 11, 2017

Nice, lovely case, box and papers a great bonus. I like the way the running seconds hand is the same colour as the hour/minute hands while the chrono hands are a contrasting colour on these.
    And I disagree that it is was 99% luck and 1% skill, that was an astute purchase.

Edited Apr 11, 2017
    kov, neilfrancis and tyrantlizardrex like this.
  5. MaiLollo Apr 11, 2017

Congrats, to me the luck factor is a bit lesser but you definetely need it :)

6. Just Livin Apr 11, 2017

Box and papers are always a great touch. Especially when offered up after everything has been agreed:)
    Nice touch :thumbsup:

7. cristos71 Apr 11, 2017

Nice watch, but I disagree regarding your hypothesis. I believe I get out what I put in, maybe not so much with the more common references that everybody knows, these are so well documented with virtually standard pricing these days than anybody can buy or sell one within an acceptable price range.

But certainly with other less commonly seen references, be they from Omega or other manufacturers, this is where depth of knowledge comes way more into play than luck, especially so when the decision has to be made there and then on the hoof without using Google as a pocket help aid.

Most of my best watches I have bought like this, and most of the ones that got away were due to lack of knowledge and not bad luck

lando, ahartfie, Mark020 and 9 others like this.
  8. brunik Apr 11, 2017

Congrats Luke!!!! ;)

Jwit and tyrantlizardrex like this.
  9. Slevin kelevra Apr 11, 2017

Pretty cool watch! Well done.

10. tyrantlizardrex Apr 11, 2017

I think you're right Chris - I was trying extra hard to not come across as smug... I went too far into self deprecating and being extra British I think! :D

It is amazing to me, how much of the knowledge that is acquired over the years, whilst seemingly of little, every day use, can suddenly prove useful at just the right time.

11. tyrantlizardrex Apr 11, 2017

It's early 1970s Jim, and I've seen it listed as part of the "pilot line" in the past... but I know what you mean.

Case size wise, it's smaller than the flightmaster, and much smaller than the Speedmaster MkIII.

Will pop up a couple of comparison shots to try and show where it fits in the size/model range.

12. akshayluc420 Apr 11, 2017

Now you'll need an Orange Lightsabre to match! :p

13. watchknut New watch + Instagram + wife = dumbass Apr 11, 2017

@cristos71 pretty much summed up how knowledge plays a role.

I'll say that it is 99% luck to find, 99% knowledge to make the decision to buy, 99% gut instinct, and 99% brass balls to buy on the spot...

I was never good at math, but those numbers make sense to me.

I have been lucky as hell to be at the right place, at the right time for all of my collection. If I hadn't of been surfing ebay at that moment, almost of my collection would be in the hands of others...so yes, luck definitely plays a role.

Great thread

14. neilfrancis Apr 11, 2017

I see now that @tyrantlizardrex used his Jedi mind tricks on me, to talk me out of it.

The Force is indeed strong in him.

ahartfie, adi4, Jwit and 1 other person like this.
  15. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Apr 11, 2017

Dial came in three cases ( I think as I have seen it in the larger speedmaster case also )

Jedi case as above

Chrono case ( my watch )
    image.jpeg

Hijak, Omega1, ahartfie and 4 others like this.
  16. neilfrancis Apr 11, 2017

17. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Apr 11, 2017

Skill is needed to realize you got lucky!

18. khanmu Apr 11, 2017

That's great - but I'm somewhat miffed, I was watching it and thinking about putting in an offer and you beat me to it - it's still in my watch (ended) list! Still I'm pleased someone on here got it tho!

19. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Apr 11, 2017

Very nice - congrats :thumbsup:
    I suppose you discount the level of work involved because when you're passionate it doesn't feel like work....
    May I ask why it's called "Jedi"? I like the orange hands!

PS -doesn't the dial look like it's turning slightlly brown, or gray? That's a nice touch.

20. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Apr 11, 2017

No such thing as luck Chris. You've gotten to the point where you know when you see something worth pursuing. Even though this felt impulsive it was a well targeted buy.