Forums Latest Members
  1. watch_the_time Feb 25, 2016

Hey Everyone- I have a relatively new GSOTM and occasionally while manually winding the piece there's a click that feels like the winding mechanism has "caught" the rotor and then it spins. The watch has never been open but each time it happens I have a moment where I think something has snapped etc. Just to be clear, it's not the barrel slipping from being overwound. It's more like the gears are too close together...

Does this happen to anyone else? Thanks in advance for your responses!

2. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Feb 25, 2016

So when you are winding with the crown, the rotor spins? And spins like it's being directly driven by you turning the crown and not just small sort of random motions?

If so, this is a sign that the reversing wheels may not be disengaging properly. In extreme examples, the rotor will wind all the time as you wind using the crown, like this:

If his problem persists, or gets to a point where the rotor is spinning a lot, I would get it looked at. The parts in the manual winding system are not really designed to transmit the loads associated with making the rotor spin...

Cheers, Al

whyboddau and Kim like this.
  3. watch_the_time Feb 25, 2016

Thanks for the reply and video, Al. It's not like that. The rotor moves a bit but nothing that seems unusual. Once every 3 days of manually winding let's say, there's an audible click and a feeling almost like the teeth didn't engage properly. However, with that feeling the rotor spins so I'm assuming it's hitting that gear system somehow. I wish it were constant because then I'd know it's an issue but the intermittent nature is very odd. I could go wind it 40x and it may or may not happen...

4. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Feb 25, 2016

So when you feel this, is there additional load on the crown, so it takes more force to wind? If so, then the reversing wheels may be intermittently not disengaging. This is usually followed by more constant occurrences, and then finally the result you see in the video...

5. watch_the_time Feb 25, 2016

Yes, the crown almost stops and needs a bit more torque from me to "get through" the rotation. It's not tough enough that I stop turning but rather something I feel after the full rotation.

Sounds like I need to get it looked at...

6. jcmartinez98 Aug 27, 2016

I posted something similar a few months back for my DSOM

Felt like he crown was slipping every now and then when I wound it, particularly as the torque was increasing near the end of the manual wind..

I never thought to look at the back of the watch to see if the rotor was moving

I sent it back. I think They replaced the winding mechanism and springs. Perhaps I should post the bits they sent back to see if @Archer can tell what they replaced. It hasn't done it since I got it back...

ScubaPro likes this.
  7. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Aug 28, 2016

Sure post clear photos and I'll try to ID the parts...

8. drhex Aug 28, 2016

Thanks for the film Archer! Yes, that is pretty much what happens with mine - I'll take to the boutique, it is still in the four year warrenty after all...

9. jcmartinez98 Aug 28, 2016

image.jpeg image.jpeg

Edited Aug 28, 2016
  10. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Aug 28, 2016

Thanks - replaced both mainsprings of course, and then based on a quick look through the tech guide it looks like they replaced the following - left to right...

1 - Intermediate driving wheel
    2 - Winding reduction wheel
    3 - Click
    4 - Crown wheel core
    5 - Sliding gear wheel
    6 - Winding pinion

Interestingly they did not replace the reversing wheels. I'm trying to imagine why they replaced some of these - I don't think I have ever replaced a click for example - it's a part that doesn't really wear out. These parts are generally related to the manual winding rather than the automatic winding. Puzzling for sure how replacing these helped solve this particular problem - there are some mandatory upgrades done to this movement (like a silent recall) but none of the ones listed are related to these parts.

Sometimes the problem of sticking reversing wheels is solved by simply cleaning them, lubricating them again, and they work fine, so maybe that was done during the service and these other parts were replaced for other reasons.

Cheers, Al

11. watch_the_time Aug 28, 2016

My issue still persists but it's more intermittent now. I never had Omega look at it because to be honest I was more frustrated with the dents on my minute hand so I was going to trade it in. I never did and learned to love it so all ended ok.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. jcmartinez98 Aug 28, 2016

Thanks, al

Should they have performed the 'mandatory upgrade' since they had it in hand?

To be fair, I don't wear that watch nearly as much anymore, and so don't end up winding it very often. It's possible that the problem still persists – it's just that I haven't noticed it since it returned

13. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Aug 29, 2016

Depending on when your movement was made, it might have come already upgraded from the factory...in that case the parts inside would not be swapped obviously...

14. jcmartinez98 Sep 4, 2016

Whoa.
    Just turned over my DSOM and realized the rotor spins every time I wind the crown

Not quite as severely as the video above but every crown wind causes the rotor to start spinning....this despite the replacements you noted above...

No issues with timekeeping or with power reserve, but don't want to cause unnecessary wear and tear you noted in an earlier post.
    Is this an occasional quirk of the 9300 or a problem with my particular watch? I've reviewed the pertinent posts and not feeling sure I know...

Back to omega?

15. drhex Sep 5, 2016

Mine went back last week for this.

jcmartinez98 likes this.
  16. jcmartinez98 Sep 5, 2016

Just dropped mine off to be sent back. Bummer

17. richard371 Sep 6, 2016

Just tried it on my DSOTM. While winding it does release tension from the rotor so it sort of moves freely a little in both directions but doesn't really spin around at all.

I wonder if it will behave the same when fully unwound? I always keep mind on a winder.

Edited Sep 6, 2016
  18. drhex Sep 6, 2016

This is normal behaviour, mine was spinning the rotor fast. Doesn't matter is full or empty.

19. jcmartinez98 Sep 6, 2016

Do you mean normal behavior as in they all do it, or normal behavior and is in yours does it too?

20. drhex Sep 6, 2016

Normal behaviour on my other 9300reds is the rotor slightly jerking then stopping on manual winding (reversing wheels disengaging afaik). So what you are seeing on yours. Was able to spin the rotor continously with the crown on my DSotM, that shouldn't happen.