Forums Latest Members
  1. night0wl Feb 3, 2017

I have searched and haven't found anything definitive on this. I was winding my Speedmaster, with the 9300 movement, from the crown since it was dead and got about 20-30ish winds in and then I heard a click halfway through a wind so I stopped. It was very audible since it's a ceramic case. I'm assuming this is normal letting you know that you've wound enough and stop some the click is a notch in one of the barrels to relieve tension? There wasn't much tension on the crown when this happened as with other Automatics I have.

This is the first time having to wind it up, and any 9300 movement for that matter, and I do not like winding auto's that far to get them going I just hadn't expected to hit that wall quickly since I'm used to 7750, or modified 7750, movements that have to wind around 50-60 times before feeling any real tension so you know you can stop.

2. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Feb 3, 2017

If it was fully unwound (not just stopped for another reason) it would take more than 30 winds to fully wind the watch. Not sure what you heard but I would monitor the watch for any signs of a problem, and if you don't see one, it's good.

Cheers, Al

3. night0wl Feb 3, 2017

Thanks Al!

It was fully unwound, had been sitting about a week since it wound down after I got it home. I'll wear it today and then let it die again and wind it. I picked up the watch as it landed from Omega and just gave it a couple winds before walking out of the AD. Brought it home and let it die so it's just been sitting. What I heard may have been the slight movement in the rotor while winding it, maybe it bouncing back from it's slight movement? One thing for sure is the watch sounds are much more audible in these Ceramic cases. Right now I'm typing and I can hear the ticking of the watch.

I'll let it run down it's power reserve and give her another wind and count this time. I'm so used to my 1861 and just winding it quickly till it stops and not having to count. First world problems.

4. Atalien2005 Feb 3, 2017

I had the exact same experience when winding my new to me 9300 about two weeks ago. I stopped winding after hearing the loud click thinking I broke something. I observed the watch for a while and it seemed to be functioning properly so I just assumed it was a built in mechanism by Omega. The watch hasn't wound down since my initial winding because I use an automatic winder but I haven't observed any problems with the watch since hearing that initial sound.

night0wl likes this.
  5. richard371 Feb 4, 2017

Thats the nice thing about the 9300 is you can hear it easily when in a quiet room on your wrist esp in ceramic . I kinda like it. It reminds me why I prefer mechanicals especially with an exhibition back. When the 9300 is fully unwound the rotor will spin like a top both ways and if you try to set the time the small second hand moves a bit too until there is tension on the mainsprings.

6. night0wl Feb 5, 2017

I'm definitely a fan of hearing it tick. Now if I could just get some personal work done vs starring at this piece of art on my wrist I'd be set.

7. night0wl Feb 10, 2017

I wound it today and got into about 50 winds with no issue when she fired up.

What I thought was actually a click was actually the rotor moving after I finished one of the winds and let go of the crown because I had moved the watch orientation as I had wound it. So when the rotor moved it made a noise, which with the ceramic case sounds like a click.

All is well.

8. rominvicta Feb 14, 2017

Just
    Just curious. Why isnt it possible to have a block of any further attempts of winding a watch whether automatic or manual? Is it so difficult to have a blockage of some kind constructed? It might look like stupid this question of mine, especially to Archer. So i do appologize if so.

9. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Feb 14, 2017

Manual winding watches already stop when they are fully wound. But what purpose would this service on an automatic watch?

Not sure I see the need for this?

10. rominvicta Feb 14, 2017

Sorry my fault. Absolutely right concerning manuals.
    Winding an automatic without limit poses a threat, at least i feel in that way and uncertainty whether something is not going to go wrong.

11. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Feb 14, 2017

What threat?

12. Motman Jul 31, 2017

Took my Speedmaster '57 off last night and put it away but I thought I'd give it a full wind so that I can check how long it goes for. Anyway, after a while I thought I heard a click/crunch/crack. I wasn't 100% sure so I tried it again and got the same noise. I'm assuming I haven't broke anything and that there is some kind of clutch/overwind protection mechanism built into the 9300 movement to protect it from idiots like me?

13. Meme-Dweller Jul 31, 2017

It pretty much connects to the same mechanism as the rotor. If it could cause damage, imagine the level of carnage a spinning rotor winding up your watch all day would do.