Forums Latest Members

9300 crown 'slipping' while winding DSOM

1. jcmartinez98 Mar 18, 2016

anyone else had this problem?
    i'd posted about it a while back, but it seems to be happening more often, especially if i turn it faster, and especially near the end, when there's slightly more resistance to the wind.

the crown will slip before 'catching' again.

omega technician thought it might have something to do with the square crown stem that might have one corner worn, which might allow the crown to spin until the 'next corner' catches. that seems to make sense for what i'm feeling.

@Archer , does that sounds plausible to you?

any one else experienced something like this? it's NOT the 'click' once the watch is fully wound.

2. Canuck Mar 18, 2016

Time to read the warranty that you hopefully received when you bought the watch! The symptom you describe could be caused by a number of problems, and troubleshooting is pretty much a hands on process. Was there a reason you wouldn't have left it with the Omega tech for a check,over?

3. jcmartinez98 Mar 19, 2016

The boutique near me has no tech. The one that used to be here is in another state...

Will read the book. Thanks

4. al128 unsolicited co-moderation giverer Mar 19, 2016

just to clear this up:

are you talking about a slip between the crown and your fingertips ... or a slip within the watch?

if its the later --->> Omega, here I come !!!!

5. jcmartinez98 Mar 19, 2016

Inside
    For sure inside

6. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Mar 19, 2016

I am going to assume this is a boutique technician and not a boutique watchmaker.

I just took this photo showing a sliding pinion on a stem that shows what I would call the "typical" fit between these two parts. This is not from a 9300, but given what you see here, do you think having one corner rounded off causing this is plausible?

[​IMG]

I didn't think so...there is virtually no gap around the square portion of the stem.

I won't say it's 100% not the problem this technician described, but it seems very unlikely to me. There are a number of things that can cause this, from a missing or worn teeth on a winding pinion, sliding pinion, or crown wheel; deformation of the stem allowing the winding pinion to move away from the crown wheel under load (I have seen this with main plates that are heavily worn); the mainspring slipping prematurely and too much, etc.. Given the complexity of the winding system in this watch, it really needs to be sent in for service.

Cheers, Al

7. jcmartinez98 Mar 19, 2016

Thanks Al.

Will send it in

8. Exarkun12 Mar 19, 2016

Good luck and please keep us posted on how it pans out :)