Forums Latest Members
  1. boat2dan May 1, 2017

Fantastic Thread! Shared Knowledge Like This Is Priceless!

2. Dgercp May 1, 2017

Thank you William. I especially love the dial on that transitional.
    Really can not thank you enough for all the time you spend to help make this forum so outstanding.

3. brunik May 1, 2017

William you have an one of a kind collection! Well done and keep the good work!

Cheers

4. sky21 May 1, 2017

Thanks so much for all you have done and continue to do for speedy fans all over the world.

5. bdatki May 1, 2017

Thanks so much for sharing, a great inspiration and service to the community. That Soyuz ::shy::

6. imajedi (not even a padawan) May 1, 2017

Amazing post. I really enjoyed it.

7. R3D9 May 1, 2017

What a post - I learned a lot and enjoyed myself in equal measures. ::book::::popcorn::

8. ossfm May 1, 2017

I can just imagine a discussion between the guy who knows his Speedmasters and a hong Kong street vendor. There's no getting a fast one by you.

Edit: I'm curious; you say you wear them but you haven't serviced them. Isn't that a no-no? Aren't you doing damage, especially to the one that has never been serviced?

watch3s likes this.
  9. Sculler22 May 1, 2017

For me, none of them is unattractive. Thank you for sharing, and we look forward to more.

10. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. May 1, 2017

He has serviced ones to wear ;)

Spacefruit likes this.
  11. TLIGuy May 2, 2017

Every morning I log into the OF in hopes of seeing a really great Speedmaster post and this morning didn't disappoint. Great watches and write up.

oddboy, RJwatches and kov like this.
  12. marturx May 2, 2017

Love to see some focus and attention to the 861 models! They truly deserve it!

Great post :thumbsup:

13. Dash1 May 2, 2017

That's a very enjoyable journey to take - thank you!
    Very timely for me as I've just started buying the 70's 861's, I wouldn't have looked at them just a few years ago being a 321 snob.
    You say the -78 is the least interesting but according to MWO it was made in small numbers and so could turn out to be quite a rarity.

14. kov Trüffelschwein. May 2, 2017

I think this is the most complicated exercise within this watch collecting journey. So many beautiful and interesting things out there. So many temptations, so many opportunities... congrats on what you have achieved so far ! ::psy:: Impressive ;)

After completing the Spacefruits' Ark, you might notice they can't reproduce, unfortunately :D

- - -

The flat dial -74s, -76s and -78s do not get enough attention, yet, IMHO. There is a huge hype around the step dials and cal. 321s and I still see some unicorn full sets from the seventies with boxes and papers selling time to time... :)

- - -

Thanks for sharing. :thumbsup: I am in love with your Transitional now ! :whipped:

15. Mark5 May 2, 2017

Wow !
    Just wow...

16. noiseboyuk May 2, 2017

As always - hugely informative.

Thanks.

17. fibonacci086 May 2, 2017

Fantastic post !
    I can't wait to see the 321 edition

kov likes this.
  18. joso May 2, 2017

Thanks william for killing my savings:)

And for safe path into vintage speedies

Spacefruit likes this.
  19. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder May 2, 2017

I know that all -71's should be stepped....
    I know I have seen several -74's with stepped dials.
    I do not know if that is original, but I dont care because the value difference is minimal - a bit like 220 bezels, I dont really notice something unless it is going to change the value! This is of course changing, as we all learn more and appreciate the stepped dials more. 220 bezels however I do not see them going too high.

First I have to thank you for a sleepless night...:)

I try super hard not to say "This is definitely right!" because my knowledge is built up over time using observation and until MWO came along there was very little solid research using factory sourced info. Also I am just an amateur doing all this for fun and I never stop learning. When I fist started buying, all 1970's speedmasters were £900-1500 and we didint know much about the dials. (Or care).

This morning I have just spent far to long staring at this detail from my -78 watch.
    1-P5020001.JPG

The thing is I cant really tell if this is correct (as per MWO). What I can say is that the value difference is negligible. (At the moment - as knowledge grows so will the value differences)

As for the stepped dials, I am now sure they are seen in original watches marked -74, as well as flat dials.

One thing is I keep learning.

Thanks to you guys, so cheers

Petervl, td69, TNTwatch and 2 others like this.
  20. pfibiger May 2, 2017

That racing dial is fantastic. I love my Mk II racing, but that dial really shines in a traditional speedmaster case!