Forums Latest Members
  1. basieboy Feb 25, 2014

I need some of the forum's expert guidance. I was the winning bidder on an Ebay early 70's speedy this week. The link is here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Omega-Speedmaster-Professional-Vintage-1970s-Moon-Watch-Cal-861Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network.

I've been travelling and didn't have time to post on the forum or do an in depth review, but did have some concerns about the dial. I know the case back is a service replacement, but am not sure about the dial. The case also seems pretty highly polishedd. The seller also raised some post-sale concern and has offered the option of cancelling the sale, so I'm posting here to try and take advantage of the group's expertise. What say you all?

speedy3.jpg

speedy2.jpg

speedy1.jpg

2. pitpro Likes the game. Feb 25, 2014

It is a replacement dial.
    The dial is in terrible shape.
    Watch is highly polished resulting in rounded
    lugs.
    I guess it depends on what you thought you were buying,
    and what you thought you should pay.
    Me, I would return the watch and post
    Before you buy for help. We have some awesome sellers
    here on the Board

Darlinboy likes this.
  3. basieboy Feb 25, 2014

I was hoping to buy a moon watch with an original dial and hands. I wasn't too concerned about the service back, but was hoping for clean and original without over-polished lugs. Because of the travel and intermittent connections, I could only view it on the iPhone, not on a decent size screen, so I thought I'd put in a bid and if i won take advantage of the 14 day return period to get the forum's guidance. The amount I bid didn't factor in a replacement dial.

I apparently can't even correctly spell the title of my forum post (advise instead of advice) because of spell check and thick thumbs.

As to the board's sellers, I've already bit once, and if I could stop the travel and be a regular lurker, probably would have picked up a few more.

4. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Feb 26, 2014

This one is a strange beast.

As pointed out the case is over polished. I think I could make it look a little better, but it's always going to be a polished case.

The dial is showing the wrong markings for a -78. (No T's each side of Swiss made)

i dont know if it is a refinished dial.

the case back looks genuine.

the bracelet is good because it is 1171 not 1171/1.

the bezel is a DO90 and worth quite a lot of money, $200+.

i would have expected a circa 39m serial in a -78

I think it is an assembled watch.

5. pitpro Likes the game. Feb 26, 2014

+1