Forums Latest Members
  1. sailingchamp May 6, 2015

Hello, my name is Michael and I'm new to this forum. In the last three days I've learned a lot about Omega watches, for instance that the golden center-links in the bracelet of my Aqua Terra are not solid gold (what naive me thought it was).

My watch runs +/- 0 seconds per day when wound up fully or on my arm, but when I wear other watches, it begins to run slow up to -8 spd even when the reserve is there for more than 48 hours.

Any ideas? Watch no. <serial removed as not necessary> bought from AD in 2010.

Edited by a mod May 6, 2015
  2. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter May 6, 2015

Watches are designed to be worn, so the movemt is designed to be as accurate as possible across 6 positions.some will run fast, some run slow. On average, works out well. Try resting the watch in a different position
    - dial up
    - dial down
    - crown up
    -crown down
    - vertical up
    - vertical down

3. sailingchamp May 6, 2015

Unfortunately yes. If I'd knew this before I wouldn't have bought this watch. I think the rose-gold compliments the brown dial nicely and the steel case comes either with black or white dials which is too hard a contrast for my taste. Now Omega has added a blue dial and the grey or brown (both are "06" in the reference no.) are no longer available.

Foto 6.JPG

4. VetPsychWars Wants to be in the club! May 6, 2015

When you wear an automatic watch, it's always fully wound, and it will be most accurate in its timekeeping in this state.

When you take it off and let it sit, it's not being wound constantly any more. Therefore, as the spring runs out, the rate changes. Whether the rate increases or decreases in a particular position is idiosyncratic to the watch.

Tom

5. PatrickJ May 6, 2015

Sorry about the gold cap or gold plate. Thought Omega stopped this practice years ago. Still a lovely watch, from your pic it looks like a very thick cap/plate. IF it bothers you you can flip watch and buy a stainless steel one. If you buy used, depreciation would of happened already. I think Omega advertised gold as 18k on these. Perhaps you can contact customer service and complain re misleading advertising, as long as you are polite about it they may help you. Tell them you are on a forum or you do review videos on Utube. In truth you did not realise about the cap, they advertise 18k.

Granted this watch is probably half the price of submariner version, but had you known re cap/plate you would of saved a bit of cash and got stainless steel and been much happier about it. Seriously, look in how they advertised and sold it to you. You mentioned had you know you would not of got this version.

Edited May 6, 2015
  6. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member May 6, 2015

I really wouldn't let it bother me, the steel in the center will make it wear better long term and its quite thick capping.

7. Nobel Prize Spell Master! May 6, 2015

Gold is a soft metal, links 100% gold would not be very durable so at the very least they would have to have steel inserts to protect from wear from the pins...I would think anyway....

8. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member May 6, 2015

Thats one of the reasons I really dislike two tone braceleted models from Rolex, so many flogged out Datejusts turned me off them.

[​IMG]

Nobel Prize likes this.
  9. PatrickJ May 6, 2015

So am Omega or Rolex 18k 100% solid gold bracket and watch is not durable? One of my best friends has had a two tone sub for years it is still durable and has not changed in look or feeling when he wears it.

Edited May 6, 2015
  10. PatrickJ May 6, 2015

Never mind what any of us say. You do what makes you happy and what is right for you. You paid a lot for the watch.

11. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member May 6, 2015

No, they're significantly less durable than steel, because gold is significantly softer than steel.

[​IMG]

PatrickJ and Nobel Prize like this.
  12. ulackfocus May 6, 2015

This thread is just more proof of why quartz watches exist. Salespeople need to tell mechanical watch n00bs ALL the ins & outs of automatics because most don't understand them at all, let alone positional variance, and think that a $xxxx watch should keep PERFECT time against the atomic clock.

If our OP thinks losing 8 seconds a day is enough to justify being irritated, wait til he sees the first service bill. :eek: :mad: One Omega watch - straight to eBay! :rolleyes: :p

13. Nobel Prize Spell Master! May 6, 2015

the apple watch keeps perfect time. And it let's you send animated emoticons.

There is a gold version too...

PatrickJ likes this.
  14. chunkythebulldog May 6, 2015

It keeps perfect time for 18 hours, you forget to charge it and then it keeps no time

Mark Farrell likes this.
  15. Nobel Prize Spell Master! May 6, 2015

But it's apple...so it keeps no time perfectly too.

MarcWinkman likes this.
  16. Frunkinator Keep tickin & tockin, work it all around the clock May 6, 2015

How easy is it for an 8500 to get magnetized?

17. VetPsychWars Wants to be in the club! May 6, 2015

Completely impossible.

Tom

18. Nobel Prize Spell Master! May 6, 2015

No, I don't think so. It is possible. A master coaxial less possible but although they do have large tolerances my understanding is that they can get magnetized.

More an Archer or equivalent movement expert question though

19. VetPsychWars Wants to be in the club! May 6, 2015

I don't think you realize how much 15,000 Gauss is.

Tom

20. Nobel Prize Spell Master! May 6, 2015

I do realize, but the 8500 coaxial is not 15000 gauss proof. The MASTER COAXIAL is.

That's why I make the distinction.