Forums Latest Members
  1. scott.v.c10 Jul 5, 2016

Hello all -

It's been awhile since my first post asking for help identifying a vintage watch. However since then I've been occasionally perusing the board (especially while at work!) and waiting for when I would finally be able to post this update!

My original thread can be found here (hopefully the link works). As a bit of a recap I had been gifted a watch by my late Grandfather in the year prior to his death, so while technically not inherited, I considered it as such. I knew nothing of high end watches, aside from Omega's brand reputation, and even less about vintage watches. The watch (sadly) lived in a drawer for many years. All I knew was that it looked like this:

Omega Watch.jpg

One day earlier this year I decided to try and get it up and running. The first step was to identify it - thanks to the papers included I at least knew the year of purchase and was eventually able to find a page on a website from an old swiss catalogue that showed an identical looking model. As a fun aside, according to the catalogue the watch retailed for 445 Swiss Francs (as best I can tell), which in December of 1972 would have been 118 US Dollars, which adjusting for inflation is about 670 USD today! Of course, my figures could be way off since they are based soley on what I can find on the internet. But I digress. During this search however, I stumbled onto the forums where I posted a thread asking for information and was almost immediately met with a wealth of knowledge; such as don't try to wind it if it's been potentially sitting for decades (I hadn't)! I learned what 145.019 meant in relation to the watch, and was directed to an article on "soccer watches" by Uncle Buck which started to make me appreciate a bit more the value of what I had. At this point I'd like to give an extra thanks to Uncle Buck who took some time and communicated with me regarding the potential in the watch, and encouraging me to have it properly checked on and serviced by someone qualified. And I also stole from him the idea to get a different and specific band on the watch. But I won't admit to that!

So, all of this led me to Archer. After getting in touch with Archer and waiting for an opening in his shop, I was able to send him the watch. One of the first things to be done was the pressure testing and much to my dismay my watch failed straight out of the gate. Archer was kind enough to send me this photo of the inside of the watch showing the deterioration that had occurred since 1972! Omega Seamaster Chronograph_0014 copy.jpg

Despite this initial set back I was actually quite relieved because part of me had worried that upon opening the case he might find the mechanism replaced with a small piece of paper that said "surprise!" and that would be the end of my watch quest. Suffice to say, there were a number of things that had to be done, including replacing the crowns and pushers to restore water resistance, disassembly and cleaning, performance checks, etc. It wasn't until I received the outstanding documentation of the process from Archer that I was even able to begin to appreciate the technical skills and craftsmanship he applied to reach the end state. Throughout the process he was excellent with respect to keeping me updated, answering any questions, and helping me achieve the result I was hoping for. So a huge thank you to and recommendation for Archer!

This weekend when I finally got the heads up that it was ready I was super excited and had to bug him for a picture so I knew what I was waiting for in the mail! Omega Seamaster Chronograph_0158 copy.jpg

Today I received the watch in the mail and after looking with some awe through the documentation of the service process provided I was able to finally for the first time in my life wind a watch and put in on my wrist. Less gym time though as it just fits (and to think I was worried about having to adjust the bracelet to be smaller!) It is snug but actually quite comfortable! I would say its just the feeling of quality, but that might sound a touch pretentious!
    2016-07-05 17.33.01.jpg

So after all of this time, effort and frankly, large amount of money what I would like to say this. During the process I have learned a little about and certainly appreciate the craftsmanship of Omega watches. However this watch is unique and tells me a story. It's a story about a man who left Europe for Canada after the war, and who worked hard every day of his life. He always wanted an Omega watch but would never afford himself the luxury. Eventually his two Daughters bought him one while visiting Europe. He treasured it to the point where he rarely wore it saving it only for the most special occasions for many years. Finally, he gave it to his oldest Grandson shortly before I deployed on my first tour to Afghanistan. It was the last gift he ever gave me, and he took ill and died while I was in theatre. The watch sat in my drawer with my guilt for many years until I finally came home to stay for good. And here I sit, looking at my watch and thinking about it's story. Thank you to everyone who made it possible. I look forward to finding out how the story ends!

dantaspaulo, Fordex, tamura and 16 others like this.
  2. sky21 Jul 5, 2016

Thank you for sharing your story. Enjoy your heirloom watch for years to come. It looks great!!

3. Jones in LA Isofrane hoarder. Jul 5, 2016

Thanks for continuing the story on this awesome watch!