Forums Latest Members
  1. Dsquared May 21, 2014

I've just obtained the following model:
    image.jpg

I was informed it contained a 1020 movement, recently overhauled "at great expense".
    Despite having been initially wound by the crown and then worn for a number of hours, the watch will sporadically lose 5mins. I then reset it. It happens again.
    Is this a bedding in issue or insufficient charge? Has anyone else seen this issue? Have I bought a "pup"? I await the first day/date changeover...fingers crossed. Any help would be appreciated.

2. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker May 21, 2014

First off as a general rule, when someone says it's been freshly serviced, I would take that with a big grain of salt unless they provide some proof.

But to the issue the watch has, when you pull the crown out to the time setting position, are the hands very easy to move? If so I suspect the cannon pinion is too loose. It may lose time in chunks like you describe, and in particular during the date change.

The cannon pinions are finicky on these so can be too tight or too loose. Not a huge deal to fix for someone that is familiar with the movement.

Cheers, Al

3. Dsquared May 22, 2014

Thanks Al,

The date changeover last night has gone without a hitch and the watch is still reading the correct time. No slipping so far. Let's hope luck has been on my side. With this being the oldest mechanical watch I have owned, I was expecting some imperfections and age related operation issues.

The watch was given a 12mnth warranty by the service tech. As you say, that could be smoke and mirrors though.

For the first time, I was captivated by the look and presence of the watch only. I've been collecting since '86, at many and varied levels from Zenith movement Daytona and Panerai Radiomir to TAG F1 Chronos and Seamaster Bonds. This was potentially my first pure passion slip.

I'll see how it performs today. Thinking about the hand movement during setting, the Daytona was a bit jumpy in places. Although, with both of them, I could set the correct time when the crown was pushed in.

I recently aquired a Swatch Sistem51. I must be going through a Hayek funding phase! obviously a different class altogether, but that was a bit jumpy too, for a hi-tec movement.

Would there be a recommendation for a return to Omega for a service, given the just under £400 paid, or appreciate the beauty and live with the odd glitch?

4. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker May 22, 2014

I would just monitor it and if it acts up again, ask what options the seller has for making it right. Often people will send watches to me for example that were purchased on line as freshly serviced by the seller's in house person, and they still have problems. So rather than send it back they negotiate to have it sent to a watchmaker of their choice for the repairs. I don't get involved in that part of it though, so I don't know how easily this is done with most sellers.

Cheers, Al

5. Dsquared Jan 2, 2015

Hi Al,
    After a number of trials over the last few months, I am still having the time loss issues. Once "locked in" it runs well for 20mins max then stops minute/hour hands stop moving, but seconds continues.
    Are you in the UK? I'm in Cambridge. Could you look at this and quote or do you know someone suitable near me?
    Thanks
    David

6. Mothra Jan 3, 2015

David, al is in Canada; the two most common uk recommendations seem to be @stefan on this forum and watchguy.co.uk. Either would be able to sort this quickly for you...